Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:41 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times

Advertisements

Although I had an epidural for my babies, the most useful thing anyone told me is kind of like what tlarnla said. If you understand that the pain is not harming you, but is normal, and just the means to an end, it makes it easier to bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 09:04 AM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
so I told the doctor I will try a natural birth, but want pain relief available if I wimp out.

I didn't wimp out, so I did not need anything for the pain.
And, come to think of it, while you might think that YOU "wimped out" if you accepted pain relief during labor, I certainly hope you do not extend that judgment to other women. I'm really happy to hear that your labor was no more painful than bad menstrual cramps. I don't think that's the norm.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM

772 posts, read 1,062,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I've had four root canals. And menstrual cramps. And, come to think of it, two wisdom teeth extracted without general anasthesia. Unmedicated labor was, uh, *more intense* than any of those experiences.

+1
Lol at your "more intense" I know you are just being facetious...hahaha..

I've had 3 root canals, labor / birth with epidural and one without. I can safely say that unmedicated labor is unimaginablely painful. Yes, you will get through it but to say it's like bad cramps is imho not being truthful unless your cramps are way more"intense" than the norm. Perhaps the joy that you are going to meet your child soon makes the pain manageable but in no way less painful.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Yep. Having my son was worth the pain. That doesn't change that the pain was, in fact, intense. At all.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,245,468 times
And yet, people aren't expected to endure oral surgery without anesthesia, arent considered wimps for taking some Tylenol for exceptionally painful menstrual cramps, or told that the pain from a broken arm is essentially all in their head. What is it about childbirth that people feel the need to dismiss the very real pain of expelling a fully-formed human out of a very small opening? It is extremely painful for the overwhelming majority of women, and I'm not sure why anyone would think it's okay to disallow a woman from easing the pain that she is knows she is feeling.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM

14,365 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
And yet, people aren't expected to endure oral surgery without anesthesia, arent considered wimps for taking some Tylenol for exceptionally painful menstrual cramps, or told that the pain from a broken arm is essentially all in their head. What is it about childbirth that people feel the need to dismiss the very real pain of expelling a fully-formed human out of a very small opening? It is extremely painful for the overwhelming majority of women, and I'm not sure why anyone would think it's okay to disallow a woman from easing the pain that she is knows she is feeling.
The official line is "pain relief might negatively affect the baby." In other words, a woman who accepts pain relief during labor is putting her physical comfort over her baby's well-being.

Secondarily, there is plenty of evidence that some (not all) natural-childbirth types consider themselves superior for nobly tolerating the pain of labor while lesser beings "wimp out."

It's even better if you can claim that due to your great mental strength, you can "rise above" pain so that it no longer bothers you.

Last edited by saibot; 11-27-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,380,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It is a personal choice and I know people who have had them and others who have not.

I honestly don't know how anyone could give birth without one, but I guess it all depends on your tolerance for pain. I had no lasting affects due to it and my children are fine. I had an epidural with the first and a spinal with the second due to needing a C-section. I was more worried about the spinal, but it was no big deal.
Pain tolerance is a factor, but there are many women who opt out and prepare/plan ways to manage the pain, either through methods like Bradley, hydrotherapy, massage, ambulation, hypnosis, music, birthing ball, laboring in a variety of positions that best facilitate the labor process, and making sure baby is in the optimal position for birth (OA and LOA--fetal malpositioning can make labor harder and more painful, such as OP position).

In my past circles, med-free is just the norm, since most either plan such births or birth at home or a birth center. My "labors" weren't really painful. I've had some freakishly easy labors/births. My foot tattoos hurt worse, and took longer than any of my labors. Minor injuries (broken toe, dropping glass candle on big toe, door shutting on ankle) were more bothersome than labor for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I had my baby in Japan, with no epidural. Most hospitals in Japan don't even offer it.

Most Japanese hospitals don't offer anything for pain relief during labor either, because they believe it's bad for the baby. I'm a wimp at the dentist office, so I chose a hospital that did offer epidurals and other pain relief measures available. But I wanted the best for my child, and read that it won't hurt too bad if you're not afraid of it, so I told the doctor I will try a natural birth, but want pain relief available if I wimp out.

I didn't wimp out, so I did not need anything for the pain. The labor pains were like bad menstrual cramps, and I'm used to them. The labor itself was not any worse. The only problem I had during labor was that after awhile the pushing started to exhaust me. (Maybe I was trying too hard?)

Going back to the fear thing, I read that it's more painful if you fear it, because the fear causes the muscles lining the birth canal to tense up and tighten. So I tried very hard to avoid thinking about how much it might hurt, and instead think about how excited I am to finally meet my baby. It worked for me, and my sister. So that's what I recommend.

American women grow up thinking that childbirth will be extremely painful, the most painful thing imaginable, because we keep hearing people say that. But think getting a root canal or having a tooth pulled is much worse.
The fear>tension>pain cycle is real, but it certainly takes understanding how it influences our subconscious mind, the fear associated with childbirth, to manage or break this cycle.

I have a dental phobia. I had not-so great experiences during my youth and drilling and all that freaks me out. It's a different kind of pain and discomfort. But that's just me.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The official line is "pain relief might negatively affect the baby." In other words, a woman who accepts pain relief during labor is putting her physical comfort over her baby's well-being.

Secondarily, there is plenty of evidence that some (not all) natural-childbirth types consider themselves superior for nobly tolerating the pain of labor while lesser beings "wimp out."

It's even better if you can claim that due to your great mental strength, you can "rise above" pain so that it no longer bothers you.
I thought all that too before birthing my first child. I told myself that women the world over were fine without anesthesia and I was joining the proud ranks of motherhood. I also thought my pain threshold was naturally high and got my cavities drilled without painkillers. So my first pregnancy was very "hear me roar" and all that. It turns out nobody cares if you get an epidural. There was no prize for having the biggest baby in the nursery or applauding moms lining the hallway to praise my strength and courage. If you're scared or just want to avoid the pain, take the drugs.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Because, as anybody who has had children knows, to some people, everything about parenting, from conception on, is a competition and grounds for one-upsmanship. Sanctimommies exist.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,516,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because, as anybody who has had children knows, to some people, everything about parenting, from conception on, is a competition and grounds for one-upsmanship. Sanctimommies exist.
Mommy Wars. Those still competing in them don't recognize how little they will mean later. Epidural vs non, breast vs bottle, cloth vs pampers, sahm vs working mom, private vs public. In the end you'll try to do the best for your own child and recognize that it's not a competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy