Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM

672 posts, read 5,825,376 times

Advertisements

I have been on the fence for a long time about having a child, but lately I've started thinking about having a child a lot--aka baby lust. It's just starting with me, and I wouldn't even say it's very strong at this point, but there's a noticable difference between now and before--before I had no interest in kids or babies and now I'm starting to think about having a baby a lot.

I am in my early 30's and have been married for four years. I wouldn't say I'm ready quite yet, but I'm getting there. I have given this issue a lot of thought and done research as well. The only problem is I have a couple of health issues that would make pregnancy very difficult--I have already been told that by my Dr.

I am meeting with my gyn in a few weeks to discuss this matter further, but I may not be able to carry a child at all.

Anyhow, I wondered: how did you know when the time was right to have a child? What did it feel like to you when you knew you were ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
My feelings were very similar. I felt like I had baby lust and pregnancy envy! That said; you are never really ready.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,586 times
I felt like something was missing and also had those feelings of looking at other babies and pregnant women. Our doggies were not "cutting it" anymore, I wanted a baby. I thought I was ready but to be honest, I was petrified when the nurse said I was being discharged and asked if we could stay one more night. LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,505,243 times
i waited a long time before iwas ready. dh was ready on our wedding night--lol
it took me 8 yrs and much patience from him.
i just started to get this gnawing feeling like i really needed to do this.
and just like therewego, i was shocked that they wanted me to keep the baby in my hospital room and when they discharged me, i was like "what?" and take the baby with me?! lol--it's absolutely true

Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 PM

895 posts, read 4,251,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My feelings were very similar. I felt like I had baby lust and pregnancy envy! That said; you are never really ready.
This is the simplest explanation.

All of my children were surprises which in some ways, makes things easier. But now that my "baby" is 16 months old, every time I see a baby, I feel that lust to have one inside of me--to go through all the changes, feeling the baby kick, and holding that newborn close and smelling that perfect baby smell. So, I have the lust but I'm going to keep that in check (4 is enough for my husband).

Also, I had serious medical problems with my last pregnancy. Make sure you have all the cards on the table with your OB/GYN before you make a decision.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,269,609 times
I did not feel much before I was pregnant. There was never the lifelong dream of becoming a mother, but when I held each of my children for the first time, I felt like I had known each one my entire life. They had been with me in spirit my whole life but when they were born they were given their physical form.

It is truly a magical experience.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM

82 posts, read 192,896 times
When you feel like you can't keep living without a child, is when you're ready for one.

I tend to think you either have the biological drive to have a child, or you don't. And if you don't, you can't force it, and you shouldn't have a baby.

I think you're starting to cave in to the pressure from your husband.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,992,571 times
well, I will hope for you that any issues you have will not hinder you.Good luck at your OPGYN.
For me,I also waited along time to have kids.Then,I started feeling jealous of coworkers that got pregnant and just really had a longing for a baby.Once we decided to try it,it consumed my every thought.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,920,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbmac View Post
When you feel like you can't keep living without a child, is when you're ready for one.

I tend to think you either have the biological drive to have a child, or you don't. And if you don't, you can't force it, and you shouldn't have a baby.

I think you're starting to cave in to the pressure from your husband.

That is what I think is happening as well.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,559,755 times
I don't think I was ever 100% ready...there was always something we were not up to par on...Like finacially...

We always found an issue with why we were not ready...So we both came to the conclusion that we probably would never be 100% ready the way we would want to be. So we said heck with it and started trying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy