Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,880,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Presumably you haven't but why would you not?
Sounds pretty weird to me.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
If completely removed, it isn't there to be anything. It cannot be imperfect or mutilated if it doesn't exist.

this was the point I was trying to make but figured minds are already made up and today is to beautiful to get into a war of words.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,931,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Let's be fair & also state that the AAP does not take a stance one way or the other. It lists both the pros & the cons.
I was not saying anything about the AAP policy except to point out the connection with the feeding issue that was brought up by another poster. I realize that the AAP does not advocate either for or against circ. This point was brought up b/c some people seem to thing that the AAP recommends circ for medical reasons, which is not true. In fact, none of the medical organizations recommend doing it. That doesn't mean that they recommend against it either. But they don't recommend for it.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yes, well if it is completely removed, then I think that qualifies as imperfect and mutilated. I mean, it's not functioning at all. Not saying that your boys are, just their foreskin.
My boys have no foreskin so how can it be mutilated or imperfect? I could understand this statement if it was a botched circumcision. Like others have said this is a very touchy subject so I will stop typing now.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:07 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
dont cut it. it is mutilation and can cause problems later on in life.

i have a friend who had a botched circumcision when he was younger. it resulted in "penis bridges" or skin bridges, i cant remeber what he called them. he had to later have them clipped and it was the most painful experience ever. particularly because the glan5 attaches to the shaft and must be seperated. the glan5 is the most sensitive part. like the clitoris.

as for adult circumcision it is not as that painful. if it only involves the intact foreskin. i have another friend who recentyl decided to cut his foreskin. at 30 y/o. but his case was one that involved phimosis. let the boy decide when he is grown up.

there are times that circumcision is necessary (phimosis), but in most cases it is not.

it can cause larger problems.

as for the "look different" that others, aspect. thats all relative. if he happened to go to a school with a bunch of latinos, chances are most boys would be uncircumcised. so he would be the different one for having it cut. but in the end, thats a very superficial reason.

teach your boys hygeine and cleanliness and you will be fine.

i am against circumcision because it is not necessary.

would you cut your baby girls labia off?

thats exactly what you are cutting off. think of that.

we condone female mutilation, but not male. awful double standard.

Great post! You said it so well.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,521,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I was not saying anything about the AAP policy except to point out the connection with the feeding issue that was brought up by another poster. I realize that the AAP does not advocate either for or against circ. This point was brought up b/c some people seem to thing that the AAP recommends circ for medical reasons, which is not true. In fact, none of the medical organizations recommend doing it. That doesn't mean that they recommend against it either. But they don't recommend for it.
Well, no one should quote a source yet change it for their benefit or agenda. If a statement appears to fit an agenda, it probably does. Hence, why I looked up the AAP (this is not directly stated to your posts, ADV, but the theme of the posts by everyone).

Neither time when we were asked did the nurse or doctor state it was medically necessary.

On the contrary, they were quite non-biased & specifically told us there was no medical proof one way or the other that it was good or bad.

I remember for my second son how the nurse was very gentle about the question & even presented it telling us that it's not medically necessary but most parents have the procedure done due to the cleaning factor. I asked her if more said no than yes & she said 50/50. Did I take it literally? No. But I took it as meaning that it was our decision & either way was right.

#1 came back wide awake looking at everything around as if he wanted to get up & explore @ 2 days of age. Been that way his whole 3 years. #2 came back sleeping & woke up for a feeding without crying. Again, fits his personality.

I had very good latchers & a very easy time breast feeding & weaning.

I never agonized over the decision EITHER way.

I just wish some posters would stop the attack mode. Not necessary.

This could be a very informative post & doesn't need the junior high girls "my way is better because & if you don't like it you're not going to get my rep!" drama. Geez, after awhile I realize how happy I am that I live in a house of boys!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,907,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
If completely removed, it isn't there to be anything. It cannot be imperfect or mutilated if it doesn't exist.
So if I chopped off my index finger, and it was gone, are you saying that my hand would not be considered imperfect or mutilated?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,521,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So if I chopped off my index finger, and it was gone, are you saying that my hand would not be considered imperfect or mutilated?
Give me a break. The entire penis is not being "chopped off".

If you chopped off the tip of your index finger, yes, I would consider it imperfect but you could still use your finger & the pain would not be lifelong. You could go on living a perfectly fine life. Mutilated? No.

Some posts are bordering pure extremism.

Mutilation as stated by the American Heritage Medical Dictionary: "Disfigurement or injury by removal or destruction of a conspicuous or essential part of the body" Using the term mutilation in regards to circumcision is extreme. The part of the penis that is removed is not essential for a normal life if it's kept on or removed.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,806,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
What teenage boys to you think are checking each other out in the locker room! That is a horrible reason to cut off a necessary part of your son's body! It is made that way for a reason! Foreskin is a functioning organ-- it amounts to 1/3 of the length of the penis and it is NOT A BRITH DEFECT! It is also not yours to cut off!
First of all, every teenage boy is checking out every other teenage boy in the locker room. When the cards are on the table, everyone wants to evaluate the hand he was dealt. No offense, but being a mother of teenage boys does not necessarily mean that you understand every nuance. It is more common for boys to be circumcised and the boys who are not get nicknames like "turtleneck" or "uglypeter."

There is absolutely nothing necessary about the foreskin and, in fact, boys are much more likely to have problems with their foreskin later in life than they are to have complications with the procedure as an infant. The foreskin tears easily, is a wonderful collection point for bacteria in the absence of vigilant "housekeeping" and seems to facilitate the transmission of HIV (among other things).

I think I can speak for the vast majority of circumcised men (if not all of them) when I say that there is no memory of the event and it certainly did not interfere with the bond between my mother and I. If your son approaches you in tears when he's in his teens and says "I hate you!! Why did you circumcise me!??" then he's angry and unbalanced about something else because it is virtually impossible that he has a legitimate complaint in that department.

Maybe it isn't the OP's flesh, but it isn't her MIL's or your's either. This decision should really be coming from the boy's father. Color me old-fashioned, but someone with first-hand knowledge and understanding of the subject should be making the call.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,806,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
Most men do not know what they are missing, since it was taken away form them when they were too young to protest.
Do you understand why it is ridiculous for you to presume to understand this subject better than any man, circumcised or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy