Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

TRENTON, N.J. - A 60-year-old woman became a mother, twice over, when she delivered a pair of boys Tuesday.

Frieda Birnbaum gave birth to "Baby A" at 12:44 p.m. and "Baby B" a minute later by Caesarean section at Hackensack University Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Radwin said. The twins each weighed 4 pounds, 11 ounces, she said.

"The mom is in recovery, and she and the babies are doing really well," Radwin said, declining a request to speak with the mother.

Hospital officials believe Birnbaum may be the oldest woman to give birth to twins in the United States, Radwin said.

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...522-2069299811
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 AM

75 posts, read 278,633 times
My ex mother in law had 13 kids and had her youngest at 66yrs old. They told her it was time to stop.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
If you can have them naturally at that age, and crazy enough to do it, all the power to you.

However, I have a real problem with a doctor allowing it to happen artificially (I was cursing loudly when I saw it on tv). The woman is 60..WITH TWINS!!! 30 year olds have a hard time handling it! The bigger problem, though is, the woman, IF she's alive, will be 78 at their high school graduation. They mentioned something on tv of her older children are resentful that they'll have to raise them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
If you can have them naturally at that age, and crazy enough to do it, all the power to you.

However, I have a real problem with a doctor allowing it to happen artificially (I was cursing loudly when I saw it on tv). The woman is 60..WITH TWINS!!! 30 year olds have a hard time handling it! The bigger problem, though is, the woman, IF she's alive, will be 78 at their high school graduation. They mentioned something on tv of her older children are resentful that they'll have to raise them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
i'm having this discussion on another board. what is your solution then? you yourself said if you can have them naturally at that age, "more power to you". how old will THAT mother be when those kids graduate HS?

to be clear, i'm not a fan of this. however, regulating it is MUCH scarier, IMHO. such is the quandry with medical advances.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
I would strangle my husband if he knocks me up when I'm 60....heck 40. LOL My hubby and I had our kids when we were young so we could enjoy our "golden" years. I would absolutely die if I had to start over and raise another child at that age. From the kid's point of view many of my friends parents growing up were in their 50's and they were always upset that their parents couldn't do alot of the things with them(ex. playing baseball, football etc.. with them) This was 25years ago mind you, people seem to age slower nowadays but still. I couldn't imagine how you would recover physically at that age to take care of a toddler let alone a teenager.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
wow, of course people have the right to procreate but should artificial means be used when someone is SO old...

I am 40 and I wonder if its a good idea for me to have another child, I can't imagine what it would be like 20 years from now...

I agree with what has been said, I don't think this age is a good idea.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I would strangle my husband if he knocks me up when I'm 60....heck 40. LOL My hubby and I had our kids when we were young so we could enjoy our "golden" years. I would absolutely die if I had to start over and raise another child at that age. From the kid's point of view many of my friends parents growing up were in their 50's and they were always upset that their parents couldn't do alot of the things with them(ex. playing baseball, football etc.. with them) This was 25years ago mind you, people seem to age slower nowadays but still. I couldn't imagine how you would recover physically at that age to take care of a toddler let alone a teenager.
and yet I had older parents and didn't feel the way your friends did - my parents rocked, and we had a great time playing board/trivia games and poker. i had my kids at 30 and don't play football and baseball with them - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
I had my kids at 40,43 and 47.I am now 50.They keep me young!I do more and look better than alot of younger moms I see.However,having kids past 50 is pushing it.And 60 is just wrong!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
I just meant, if someone can have it naturally (I would assume most, if not all, can't), then who am I to tell them not to (the women who get knocked up by 70 year old men are just as crazy!). BUT, I think it is wrong for a doctor to intentionally push a woman's body into having a baby when it wasn't supposed to be able to (I assume at 60 she had hit menopause....do they have to give her hormone therapy first, then implant the embryo?). We have a 30 year old (or so) woman in our mom's group that has 15mo old twins, and she feels like she can barely keep up with them.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
The problem here is that science can help a woman her age have twins...and as far as I know there is no sweeping policies to dictate if science should actually do so in cases like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy