Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM
kct kct started this thread

3 posts, read 9,657 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Live in Colorado right now, but job may require a move to AZ. For the record, my job is not dependent on living in Prescott or Flag, so jobs in the local area are not an issue.

I have three kids - 8th, 6th, and 2d grades and am debating the merits of living in Prescott or Flagstaff.

Have been reading the forum for a while and understand that Prescott and Flagstaff are different communities. To be honest, we are leaning towards Flag as it has more of an Alpine feel, but that doesn't matter a whole lot when your kids are miserable.

That being said, I am having a hard time differentiating which city has the better educational system.

Flag has NAU near it, but I get the feeling the cost of living is too high for a good teacher and a college nearby doesn't guarantee a good educational system.

Prescott seems to have stability and decent schools, but I have no idea how to evaluate that.

Bottom-line, should we choose to move to either city, which has the better education system and which town is the better family town?

I understand everything is subjective, but perhaps someone can shed some light on the situation in either city.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
If you go to Arizona School Report Cards - Home you can compare schools and districts. I ran a comparison of Flagstaff Unified, Prescott Unified, and Humboldt Unified (Prescott Valley and Dewey). The comparison gives the percentage of students passing the AIMS test for reading, writing, and math for grades 3-8 and 9-10. I averaged all of the scores for the following results:

Flag: 74% passing
Prescott: 83% passing
PV/Dewey: 75% passing

You can also check out School Report Cards: Find A School where you can find individual school rankings with cryptic names like 'Performing', 'Performing Plus', 'Excelling', etc. It's probably easiest to search by zip code. Note: AZ just passed a law to change the rankings to a more obvious A, B, C, D, F system, but that won't happen for another couple of years.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Anybody care to chime in on family lifestyle in either community.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Thanks for the reply. Anybody care to chime in on family lifestyle in either community.

Thanks
I don't have any children, but I'm working on it, and would love to raise my children in the areas of Prescott, Prescott Valley, and/or Chino Valley. The areas are not problem-free, but I feel very at ease there. I find the people friendly, and conservative (which I am too). One thing I hear people who live in Prescott and Flag vent their frustrations on, is the Phoenicians invading their cities during the unbearable summer months. They are both tourist spots and traffic and pedestrian traffic goes up and down depending on the time of year.

I recently visited Prescott for a few days during the week and was in heaven, but weekends are much busier with lots more people. I hear people from Prescott frequently vent their frustrations on the California migration as well. Lots of California retirees there.

Have you visited AZ at all? If you are looking for a small-town feel, also check out Camp Verde.

You mentioned in your OP about paying a good teacher well; you may want to look in to that. My sister left Arizona for Colorado in July because she was sick of the high volume of work and low pay. In AZ, she was expected to put in extra unpaid hours for trainings. In CO, she'll make a lower salary for about a year until her evaluations are in and then she'll be bumped up accordingly. She has taught for 10 years between CA, AZ, and CO. Each time she moves, she has to deal with a cut in pay for awhile. Just a thought.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, I am not a teacher, so I wasn't worried about the pay, only that it seems Flag is more expensive thus leading to possibly more turnover in teachers as they are paid below median income for the area. I am no economist, just musings from my mind...

Regardless, I am really interested in both communities. We have visited both Prescott and Flagstaff and I liked the feel of Flagstaff more, but wanted to get insider information as I understand you cannot just judge a book by it's cover. We tend to lean more towards the conservative, but it doesn't play a large factor in the decision...

Keep em coming folks....

Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 15,965 times
I dont care for the schools in prescott, thats why i moved to the phoenix there alot better.

before we moved my son could not read and hes 9 now he can read alot better

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Prescott school enrollment is down 5%. Chino Valley is down 4%. Main reason is that the economy in the Prescott area is driving people and their families away. People just can't afford to live here plus the job situation is worse off than Phoenix. Many of the families left for Phoenix where job pay and opportunity is greater than Prescott.

Local school districts experiencing declining enrollment - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct View Post
Hello all,

Live in Colorado right now, but job may require a move to AZ. For the record, my job is not dependent on living in Prescott or Flag, so jobs in the local area are not an issue.

I have three kids - 8th, 6th, and 2d grades and am debating the merits of living in Prescott or Flagstaff.

Have been reading the forum for a while and understand that Prescott and Flagstaff are different communities. To be honest, we are leaning towards Flag as it has more of an Alpine feel, but that doesn't matter a whole lot when your kids are miserable.

That being said, I am having a hard time differentiating which city has the better educational system.

Flag has NAU near it, but I get the feeling the cost of living is too high for a good teacher and a college nearby doesn't guarantee a good educational system.

Prescott seems to have stability and decent schools, but I have no idea how to evaluate that.

Bottom-line, should we choose to move to either city, which has the better education system and which town is the better family town?

I understand everything is subjective, but perhaps someone can shed some light on the situation in either city.

Thanks
I live in Flag. I have lived here since I was 4. I have moved away many times but have always come back. I am here for good because I feel that Flag has alot to offer. It has a great educational system but needs alot of parent support because of the economy. Flagstaff is surrounded by many things a family can do such as skiing or sight seeing. The cost of living has always been high, but not so high as to where I have had to leave because of it. What I like the best is the crime rate is the lowest in the state. The college is popular and the Grand Canyon brings in alot of tourists, however, that is good for Flagstaff's economy and beauty. CM.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 PM

14 posts, read 56,892 times
Just an opinion, from briefly residing in Flag a few years ago, and currently in PV, I got the impression that Flag lifestyle/community would be more suitable to older kids, teens, college age and the 20-40 set, while Prescott seems to be more suitable for a family oriented lifestyle.

Whether that's technically the case, I can't say. Just felt like Flag seemed much cooler for a party crowd while Prescott is more laid back and postcard family crowd. Take that how you will ;-)

Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM

91 posts, read 323,349 times
Default Flagstaff Education

I can not speak for Prescott, but here is my take

Overall the state of AZ has a less than admirable education system. I have lived all over the country and am not impressed at all with AZ.

That said, Flagstaff has some wonderful teachers and awesome charter schools, including

Flagstaff Arts Leadership Academy
Northland Prep
Several Montessori Schools
And.... a new one is coming soon that is supposed to rock.

Nice small town feel. Kids are safe here, and not too fast or flashy.

Cheers
M

Find out more about Flagstaff at FinditinFlag.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott