Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Homeowners can take it upon themselves to correct the problem.
How do they go about doing that?

One would have to trench & excavate the main water line, then remove it, trench deeper, and solder in a new water line. Depending on the length of the main line you could be looking at tens of thousands of dollars.

The average do it yourself CANNOT accomplish such a feat. You would have to hire someone, and you are probably looking at $10,000+ to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 PM

533 posts, read 1,462,156 times
I guess you weigh the cost now vs the cost when your water lines explode. It's not a mystery that it gets freezing up here in the winter--anyone who bought a place should have considered at the time of purchase that frozen pipes are a possibility and factor that into their decision.

You're often a proponent of not living with your head in the sand. You're not arguing the other side now, are you?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
I guess you weigh the cost now vs the cost when your water lines explode. It's not a mystery that it gets freezing up here in the winter--anyone who bought a place should have considered at the time of purchase that frozen pipes are a possibility and factor that into their decision.

You're often a proponent of not living with your head in the sand. You're not arguing the other side now, are you?
No such thing is being argued. My point is that the codes need to be rewritten to reflect better placement of the water lines. The codes up here are lax, even my builder admits to that.

The water line depth for this area is too shallow. Almost every winter someone I know gets frost damage to their lines.

The other issue is winds & hail, up here we can get 70MPH+ gusts. Many roofs and buildings are not designed too well to withstand such winds and hail. They use a lot of clay tile roofs here and they will shatter and break in any good hail storm. Once broken, the underlayment gets destroyed, and you will get water penetration.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,919,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post

The water line depth for this area is too shallow. Almost every winter someone I know gets frost damage to their lines.
Current code requires the water yard line (from the meter to the house) to be burried at least 18 inches below native soil for elevations above 4,000 feet. Frankly, I would be quite surprised if a water line burried 18 inches froze. Granted, many Prescott houses were built many years ago and perhaps the builders did not burry their lines deep enough back then. However, I would guess that most of the water line breaks are not the actual yard line, but irrigation lines or hose bibs that burst.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
The average do it yourself CANNOT accomplish such a feat. You would have to hire someone, and you are probably looking at $10,000+ to fix the problem.
I had my main water line replaced a few years ago (hand dug and under a sidewalk) for less than $2000.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
I know it's old fashioned, but when you expect a very unusual hard freeze not common to your area you can always leave the water on a little.
It relieves the pressure and it won't freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: