Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
This is true.
My wife grew up in Prescott.
She is in her late 50's and comes from a ranching family.
She has lots of memories she has told me of, like watching Billy Jack, the Junior Bonner movie, etc, get filmed there.
After leaving in the early 1980's she went back to visit family in 2005.
She told me she will never go back, it changed from that "Mayberry" type town you mentioned and it will never be home to her again except in her memories.

That's sad.
I heard it was a better place back then than now.

I don't know too much. I first came out here in 1995, when I got out of basic training and AIT training in the Army (my parents decided to move here while I was gone). So, I was only here for 4 months before I switched over to Active Duty in 1996. I didn't come back again until 2004, when we moved here. Too me, the people and places didn't change much since my first time here (in 1995). But I heard it was much better years and years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
It's true, you cannot go back home in most cases as it's changed from what you remembered and liked. I just experienced the same thing myself last Feb on a trip home.
However, that being said, Prescott is still an outstanding town to live in for most compared to the rest of AZ.
I don't know. I had a better chance at getting a job in Phoenix than here. When I first came out to Phoenix, I was hired on the spot (I wasn't even in Arizona but 2-3 days)! And had that same job for the first 4 years I was here. And I had a small part-time job on the side too (made about $1,000 a week from both of them together).

Since being here, in P.V., I'm having a hard time finding a good job and keeping it (I've had 3, in the last 6 years I've been here!). That sucks! Too many places here keeping changing ownership and management. And when they do change, they change their employees. That is just not right, in my opinion. The money here isn't great either (I was making only $300 a week).

But that's just my opinion about here. No offense to anyone, okay.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,040 times
More and more businesses are tanking out here. Many of the hotels are changing ownership and are for sale due to loss of business. The hospitality market is down 40% for the year compared to 2007.

Restaurants are having a hard time also, many are just struggling to pay the bills. Has anyone driven through the "Entertainment District"? So many vacant shops.

School enrollment is down 8%. Many people cannot make a living up here and are heading south to Phoenix. Even in today's bad job market, it is 100x easier landing a job in Phoenix vs. Prescott. Plus the job in Phoenix will pay a lot more than they do up here in Prescott.

One family I knew, just packed up and left Prescott Valley. They lived out here for 6 years with their 3 kids but the declining job market and high cost of living finally forced them out. The husband got a good paying job in Phoenix and the wife got a part-time job that pays more then most full-time jobs here in Prescott.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM

533 posts, read 1,461,667 times
There's a reason jobs are more available in Phoenix and might pay a little more on average. Phoenix is not a desirable place to live. You have to sacrifice quality of life/security to live there. Much the same as if you got a "great" job in Los Angeles or New York or Dallas or etc. Living in a major urban area has it's upside (more jobs, better pay, more entertainment/social options) and downside (concrete jungle, weather, crime). Depending on what you want for yourself, you have to weigh the pros and cons. When you have a family the cons are much stronger--where would you rather raise kids, up here in the tri-city area or down in Phoenix?

The bad economy has hit everywhere, not just in Prescott. It'll take time for the tide to turn, but we'll get there.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
There's a reason jobs are more available in Phoenix and might pay a little more on average. Phoenix is not a desirable place to live. You have to sacrifice quality of life/security to live there. Much the same as if you got a "great" job in Los Angeles or New York or Dallas or etc. Living in a major urban area has it's upside (more jobs, better pay, more entertainment/social options) and downside (concrete jungle, weather, crime). Depending on what you want for yourself, you have to weigh the pros and cons. When you have a family the cons are much stronger--where would you rather raise kids, up here in the tri-city area or down in Phoenix?

The bad economy has hit everywhere, not just in Prescott. It'll take time for the tide to turn, but we'll get there.
I don't know, but I enjoyed living in Phoenix. I didn't drink much when I was there and there was more to do, even during the cold weather days. It was very desirable to me. I lived in north Phoenix then. I could keep a tan year round, not like here. The pay was awesome (I made close to $1,000 a week with the 2 jobs I did; cocktail waitressing at a nightclub and part-time telemarketing).

I really didn't start drinking til I came here and I never had a problems finding a job til I moved here. That's just what I have experienced. And the 3 jobs that I did have here (which were extremely short lived) didn't pay good (about $250-$350 a week). I made that kind of money in 1 day working at the nightclub in Phoenix cocktail waitressing.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Moderator cut: personal attackAs I mentioned, you're bound to get paid more in places where jobs are more plentiful and the environment less desirable. Living up here is desirable compared to Phoenix, in my opinion. More demand so naturally it will be more difficult economically with the competition. Phoenix area, not really desirable by comparison and certainly more opportunity with the disparity in population and industry.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-03-2010 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,040 times
Quote:
There's a reason jobs are more available in Phoenix and might pay a little more on average. Phoenix is not a desirable place to live. You have to sacrifice quality of life/security to live there.
"Life/security"? More people die on the "highway of blood" and Highway 89 due to it having only 2 lanes, no center divider, 65MPH+ speeds. More people are on drugs/meth per capita in Prescott versus Phoenix. The Hells Angels are based out of Chino Valley. Gangs are now found throughout the tri-city. I don't feel "safe" in Prescott/PV/CV.

Phoenix is very desirable. You have thousands of restaurants to chose from, real trauma centers that can save your life, specialized healthcare services, numerous real zoos and art exhibits to see, thousands of shops, a major airport within driving distance, numerous schools to chose from, a university, clubs, nightlife, more than one car dealership, specialty stores, more than 1 movie theater, a real stadium, etc, etc

I'm sorry, but it is FREEZING COLD in Prescott during most of the winter. Tomorrow in Phoenix it will be 73F and then 45F at night. Perfect weather. In Prescott it will be 51F and then 23F at night. That's cold. Prescott is great in the summer but from November through May, it can get very cold and very windy. Phoenix is perfect from November through May. Then it gets hot and Prescott is better, but Flagstaff is even better in summer.

There are people who find Prescott unbearable and undesirable and you couldn't pay them to live there.

Quote:
Depending on what you want for yourself, you have to weigh the pros and cons. When you have a family the cons are much stronger--where would you rather raise kids, up here in the tri-city area or down in Phoenix?

I would rather raise them in Phoenix because there is more things for kids to do in Phoenix. More programs, more opportunities, better options. Prescott has a huge meth/drug problem that it REFUSES to admit to and kids are getting hooked on meth every day.

Phoenix offers the kids to experience to get to know people of diverse cultures. Prescott has NO diversity. This lack of diversity causes the problems we are seeing today. The mural issue we had this year is just a glimpse of the greater problem of racism in our town.

Did you know that the Cracker Barrel off of Highway 69 in Prescott Valley is the SLOWEST Cracker Barrel in the entire state of Arizona? Prescott's economy is in a lot worse shape than Phoenix's economy. Prescott is suffering really bad.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Moderator cut: bickeringI'd wager there's a lot more death per capita in Phoenix than up here, between vehicular and other accidents and all the gang violence. I'd look up the specific statistics if I thought it would matter, but confirmed statistics won't make a difference here, I think. Let's just say my experience living in large urban areas compared to small rural areas (not just here but other places as well during my lifetime, note the plural for both) suggests that getting away from the city is a much healthier and peaceful existence. And if I desire diversity then the miracle of modern travel affords me that option. Crazy, I know!

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-03-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: bickering

Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,468 times
I live in chino Valley and I attended a Bunko party that was off Road 3 North and Yuma. The exact area where the Hell's Angels shoot out was a few months ago. When I drove to the residence I drove down Yuma Road and I drove back where I saw two small deers crossing the road. I have never felt unsafe living in Chino Valley. There are so many police and sheriff cars around town. I shop at Safeway Grocery Store, I shop at Walgreens, I shop at Alco, I eat at some of the restaurants. Mostly, I see retirement people. Hwy 89 South of Chino Valley the road has been widened. In the next 3 years most of Hwy 89 North of Chino Valley to Prescott, will be widened. Have you been to Chino Valley?? There is a church on every corner. There are some very nice housing developments in Chino Valley, that if you drove through, you would see working people and retirement people residing there. Our development is mostly retired folks from all over the country but majority from California. Retired CIA, retired Police officers, one from Florida, another from New Jersey, there is a Sheriff that lives almost across the street from us, retired business owners. Retired school teachers, retired IBM executive. Wow..I don't know..if any of them are on meth..but they don't act like it.

Holy Cow you make Chino Valley seem like there is nothing but meth heads and collisions on Hwy 89 and it is over run by Hell's Angels. I know Chino Valley has a reputation but to be honest with you, I have traveled all over the United States and Chino Valley is no different from any small town throughout America. My sister lives in Ukiah, CA and that town has its share of problems with dope. I enjoy driving the back roads of Chino Valley, there is allot of ranchettes that raise small horses, cows, Alpacas, donkeys and goats. It is very rural here and I never tire of looking at the animals. I can see out my windows to the state land and see horses and Antelope at times. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I see so much beauty in the Tri City area. I feel blessed.

I have lived in Arizona for 17 years and I have been to Phoenix 7 times and each time I could not wait to leave, as I had my share of city life. I cannot tolerate the heat in the summer. I don't mind the cold winters here, as during the daytime, it usually warms up in the 50's but the sunshine is out. Good grief. Hard times have hit every community throughout the United States, Prescott is no exception.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Please refrain from bickering, or this thread will be closed. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott