Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

533 posts, read 1,463,876 times

Advertisements

I never said anyone was a bad parent for living in Phoenix. Moderator cut: bickering I said many people would prefer to live here rather than Phoenix. It is unfortunate that some cannot afford to live here where they want to be and instead have to live elsewhere to provide for their families. As parents, our primary responsibility is the safe, healthy and proper upbringing of our kids. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary to make that happen. That is not being a bad parent; on the contrary, I applaud them for making the necessary change and hope that they can return when economy and opportunity permits.

However, that is irrelevant to the overall conversation and instead simply presents hyperbole as a rationalization for generalities.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: bickering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM

18 posts, read 94,326 times
I was just reading the Courier's forum this morning and read the following line:

"In the infinite wisdom of our city planners, they have decided that it would be in our fine town's best interest to be the haven for halfway houses. We have over 60 of them here."

What in the heck is that all about? Is that true? Tell me about it if you would.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,874,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless grin View Post
I was just reading the Courier's forum this morning and read the following line:

"In the infinite wisdom of our city planners, they have decided that it would be in our fine town's best interest to be the haven for halfway houses. We have over 60 of them here."

What in the heck is that all about? Is that true? Tell me about it if you would.
Prescott does have rehab centers, I think the 60 number is over exaggerated, but we do have a couple in the area.

We have a huge meth problem and a large homeless population. Both of which make it haven for a halfway house.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:09 PM

How many meth users and homeless are there--can you quantify?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,222,386 times
I guess I do not pay attention. There are 105,000 people approx in the Tri City area. There are businesses galore, churches galore..lots of golf courses..I just question the LARGE homeless and HUGE Meth problem. Have you people ever drove on Hollywood BL??? Have you ever been in the clothing district downtown Los Angeles??? Have you ever been in the area of Los Angeles where the homelss are??? Fortunately, I haven't been there for 18 years but when i was in those places..back in 80's and 90's..I was concerned...it was so sad to me. I was most of the time in my car...a few times walking. I drove down Hollywood BL and Sunset BL....enough said.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post

More people die on the "highway of blood" and Highway 89 ......
"Highway of Blood" ....whazzat?

Yeah, 89 to Willhoit can be scary. A bad mix of too-slow and too-fast drivers and lots of twisties. Heck, I might even be part of the problem. My speeds depend on which vehicle I am driving, and I might be either too fast or too slow, myself.

I wonder if there is a map or any statistics showing fatalities on this or that section of road around here.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM

12 posts, read 46,531 times
theres not much what so ever to do here, go down to whiskey row on the weekends... see a movie. other then that theres not much.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM

If you require the "city life" then you'll probably be disappointed. If you enjoy a more rural lifestyle then you'll find plenty to do that suits your needs. Really depends on the individual and what they want out of life, what social needs they have, what hobbies they enjoy.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:45 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,708,305 times
I am sure many younger people that come here for college or ERU are disappointed just like many young people are disappointed where they grew up in small towns.
It is funny though how when you get older you get tired of the bigger cities and the rat races and many as they age want nothing more than to return to where they grew up.
It happens that way to many.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
I am finding just about everything great about Prescott, seems to good to be true. I am almost worried the secret is out about Prescott. I have been doing my research and finding the weather seems perfect for my wants, low crime, affordable housing, airport, hiking, some water to kayak/etc, Starbucks, Target, Best Buy, art, culture, parks, forests, clean air.

Every city has something negative about it? So what am I not seeing about Prescott, what are the negatives? Seems too good to be true, I must be missing something? Some negatives will not necessarily turn me off from moving, but I feel my research would not be incomplete without asking this question. Hope nobody takes offense at it. My current city of Duluth MN certainly has negatives, so I am not singling out any particular city as negative in and of itself.
randall
After 35 years as a resident of Prescott I can say unequivically there are few negatives unless you want city living in a very smally town atmosphere. The ones that I have noted over the years are not bad enough to make me want to move but here is what I have noticed, since that is what you asked for:
Cons:
Totally insufficient road maintenance
City Council that is easily swayed to invest in new developer and open space to the detriment of infrastructure.
Water rationing in the summer
Limited employment opportunities if you need to make a reasonable living, lots of underpaid jobs that require fairly high skill levels
Little industry (but that is also a plus because there are no resources like water to support it)
Winters can be long, but snow is sporadic and usually melts between storms
Gardening does not start until May 1 - 15 due to night freezes and only lasts until September
Little diversity but in a small town that is not necessarily a negative
High housing costs
Too many dogs - they are a national pasttime in this town
Minimal recreational activites for water and snow (but lots of hiking, walking, running opportunities)
PROS
Moderate climate, summer temperatures rarely above 95 and winter in low teens, 4 distinct seasons
People are friendly but if you want to be isolated you can
Supposedly the population is 56,000 but much of it is transient students
5 colleges, higher than average education level
Good schools, including Christian and other religious organizations
Safe, usually quiet (except for major holidays when the town is infested with visitors from Phoenix)
Small downtown area offers most of the entertainment (and noise) so if you stay away you almost don't know it exists.
Eclective eating, dining and fast food offerings
Major box store shopping outside of main downtown, family owned businesses in town
Best thrift shopping I have found

Overall: Good place to retire unless you need lots of outside entertainment, not much for teenagers to do, no real middle income housing, lots of real estate for sale, plenty of 55 + opportunities, good hospital and better if you go to Prescott Valley 15 miles away, good doctors but hard to find one taking new patients, good co-ops, all kinds of thrift stores, some with real treasures, tourism is main industry in town, if you are skilled, you can find good jobs if you network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott