Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,131 times

Advertisements

Just visited Prescott from ATL...Thinking of moving...what rocks should we look under during our due diligence process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 PM

73 posts, read 443,594 times
prescott great town. Not too small not too big. climate is great. I don't live there so i don't know where to look for houses but good choice.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Default What kind of rocks to turn over?

My wife and I moved to the Prescott area from Maryland and we have loved every day here. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 130,528 times
Default Prescott etc.

Hey Biggs,

Thanks for the info…

We moved to Hawaii from Maryland 4 years (Odenton) ago, for the job. Would like to move to AZ when we retire ( about 6-10 years ) (Won't be going back to Maryland)

Looking at areas North of Phoenix like Prescott, Payson. What's the deal. Prices seem to be up a bit right now - Due to California peeps retiring there?

Can you tell me if there are allot of CCR restrictions in the hoods? Like you would find with homeowner's associations etc.

Thanks,
Outlook

Old 09-30-2006, 05:05 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Default Prices and CC&Rs

Hey Outlook,

Prices are relative. We sold a townhouse in MD for $410 and bought a house on a quarter acre right on the 4th fairway for $300. I would think Hawaii prices are pretty steep. Anyway, prices are coming down right now. Towards the end of the boom, everybody wanted to cash in and now there are too many houses and too few buyers. The people who have to sell are lowering their prices and the people who don't are taking their homes off the market. So, real estate is settling out. The investors are probably throwing their money into the stock market. When that turns, they'll put it back into real estate.

CC&Rs run the gammit. There are some areas where you have to ask if it's ok to breathe. There are others that just keep broken cars off of the lawns. Some areas do not have any CC&Rs at all. It really depends what kind of development you like. If you like the California/Phoenix style of big house, small yard, block wall, then the CC&Rs are typically more strict. If you like the varied housing, random or no fences, larger lots style, then the CC&Rs are non-existant or more relaxed.

Montly dues vary as well. If the development has a rec building with pool, workout room, etc., then the dues are typically $75-$100/mo. Areas without any amenities might be $50/yr. Non-development areas have no dues.

We haven't checked out Payson yet, so I can't say anything good or bad about it.

Cheers,
Biggs

Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 PM

20 posts, read 97,157 times
Lived in Prescott for eleven years, before returning to the Phoenix Metro.

Prescott is a great town for Holiday Events; July 4th has the Rodeo, Halloween has major participation down Mt Vernon street, its where the entire city convenes. The town generally has parades downtown for most events, and Christmas is like none other, with a courthouse lighting, a downtown music night where all the stores around the courthouse are open with musicians in each one playing festive music.

It has a great Junior College that caters to the Young and Old students alike, and has something for everyone, whether your taste is for the arts, or sports. The town gets snow about four times a year, but melts quickly, generally gone the next day.

Housing is all over the board, newer and more moderate priced homes would be found in the outlying communities of Prescott Valley and Chino Valley. Properties in Prescott are generally unique to their own, very little tract building, hence the builder could have been a contractor, owner/builder, and whatever your imagination can think of. Don't let that scare you off, just do your homework to find out who built the property of your interest. This could be done at the county department, or even city, if it is in the limits. Which lends to another thought, check to see if the property is city or county, makes a difference regards to services.

Bottom line, its a nice town, you could do worse.

BTW, Payson & Prescott similar elevations, distance to Phoenix Metro, Prescott has more amenities.

Good Luck
ADL

Old 10-01-2006, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,131 times
Default prescott

Specifically:
What are the (if any) downside(s) to Prescott
Any Opp for converting commercial space to live-work
What are $/sq ft in the various areas
What are building costs for relatively high finish house

Thanks for all previous and further responses. We will be going back in about 6 weeks to investigate further.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Personally, I don't like it here. It's kind of boring for me. There's not much to do, but go to bars and pubs here (and no, there's no REAL nightclubs here...Well, not anymore. Used to be).

Jobs are very scarce here too and when you do get one, you won't get paid that good either. Just my 2 cents in...I hope to move by next year...

Too many retirees
Too many rednecks
Too many "bikers"
Too dry
The damn snow...I hate snow!!!
Not enough to do on the weekends.
And too many people with missing teeth, leather skin, and don't take showers...Yuck!!!!

Just my opinion of it...Sorry...

Old 05-24-2007, 06:04 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Question Which Prescott Are We Talking About?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Personally, I don't like it here. It's kind of boring for me. There's not much to do, but go to bars and pubs here (and no, there's no REAL nightclubs here...Well, not anymore. Used to be).

Jobs are very scarce here too and when you do get one, you won't get paid that good either. Just my 2 cents in...I hope to move by next year...

Too many retirees
Too many rednecks
Too many "bikers"
Too dry
The damn snow...I hate snow!!!
Not enough to do on the weekends.
And too many people with missing teeth, leather skin, and don't take showers...Yuck!!!!

Just my opinion of it...Sorry...
I'm sorry. Are we talking the same town here? Did we even get any snow this past year? Once?

I guess the part about not enough REAL nightclubs is true. Most people that move here like to be outside -- hiking, biking, etc.

As far as the rednecks missing teeth, etc. - they must be hanging out at all those bars I don't spend time in. because I haven't had the pleasure of meeting them.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
No, it's even in grocery stores, convience stores, and other public places. And no, I don't go to the bars or pubs, but very rarely and that's just what I've seen.

I'm outdoorsy too (jogging/running, hiking, walking, etc.), but what about later in the evening when it's pitch black outside. I don't think I want to...

I didn't mean to **** off anyone. It's just what I've seen here. I've lived in Phoenix for 4 years and just moved here, about 3 years ago. It's very, very different from what I'm used to being around with...Sorry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott