Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 21,792 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at Cottonwood(not bad) to move to, is this a good idea or a bad idea?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
It depends on what you are looking for in a place to live. There are other threads here about Cottonwood; use the search function to find and read those. Then, if you have specific questions not answered by those threads, and can give us a bit more information about what you are looking for, we can better answer your questions.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 25,913 times
Default Awful!!!!

Unemployment, Welfare, Illegals, Poverty and crime central.

I was born and raised there and I had to move away and return to visit to see it for what it had become. It saddened me to see the illegals, meth heads, total low class really skanky people. The Murders and all of the druggies. I loved that place. Now all I love is my memories of the "good ol' days".

Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 AM

33 posts, read 176,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaHanbasket View Post
Unemployment, Welfare, Illegals, Poverty and crime central.

I was born and raised there and I had to move away and return to visit to see it for what it had become. It saddened me to see the illegals, meth heads, total low class really skanky people. The Murders and all of the druggies. I loved that place. Now all I love is my memories of the "good ol' days".
That's a shame about Cottonwood. It seems to have possibilities after I checked the stats and other info.
Just how bad is the drug problem there? I mean, are their presence visible or palpable? Once I checked a town I was interested in ..in WA...that town is so economically depressed that everyone just seemed to be into the drug business and other illegal activities since there were no decent jobs to be had. You literally brush against them as you walk about town. I was checking out Cottonwood as a possible place to relocate to as it looks kind of centrally located between Flagstaff, Phoenix and Prescott. Rentals there seemed a tad lower than most other places I checked. I don't need to look for a job...just a quiet place for two people, no pets, no bad habits...just want a good friendly small/medium-size town. Anyone else care to comment about Cottonwood? Thanks. Maybe I'll just visit for a few days when I go there on an exploratory trip last week of April.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
I recently had a pleasant walk around old town Cottonwood and came back a couple of times to have dinner. Decent selection of restaurants there. I regularly shop in Cottonwood at the Home Depot.

No needles on the sidewalk, no smell of pot. I didn't go looking however.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I didn't go looking however.
good answer!....

Old 04-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Default Cottonwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I recently had a pleasant walk around old town Cottonwood and came back a couple of times to have dinner. Decent selection of restaurants there. I regularly shop in Cottonwood at the Home Depot.

No needles on the sidewalk, no smell of pot. I didn't go looking however.
Thanks. That's better. When I first read "No needles on the sidewalk,.." I didn't pay much attention...'thought you referred to pine needles (ha-ha ) and thought to myself..."what a nice clean place!" then going back to that line...and mention of "no smell of pot." Then it occurred to me...you probably meant, "needles" as in drug user parapharnelia!! I am well aware that some illegal drug activities exist even in seemingly benign communities..as long as I don't see them and/or become a nuisance.
Now...on another matter...the info I got about weather/climate in Cottonwood says it gets in the mid to high 90s in the summer? And I've heard of the summer monsoons...which is a refreshing occurrence just when it starts getting hot. None of these type of climate bothers me...but my wife doesn't like long periods of hot weather...such as in Phoenix and other lower elevation areas. I assured her that hot days in Cottonwood..and nearby communities...do not drag on for days. I hope I am right. Need help on this. But really, overall, hot days (90+) don't last for days and days...right?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
This summer will be my third up here in the Verde valley. I have seen it get to 107 a couple of times, 105 doesn't seem to be fairly common. The nice thing about it is, the evenings definetely cool off. We have opened the windows every night both summers here. I don't think it is bad at all, but I came from Yuma, so summer here is a walk in the park.

Regarding Cottonwood, I think it is pretty nice place, very friendly people. No regrets moving here, except for needing to do a lot more on line shopping because there isn't much variety here. Thats okay, its part of the charm.

Curly

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
This summer will be my third up here in the Verde valley. I have seen it get to 107 a couple of times, 105 doesn't seem to be fairly common. The nice thing about it is, the evenings definetely cool off. We have opened the windows every night both summers here. I don't think it is bad at all, but I came from Yuma, so summer here is a walk in the park.

Regarding Cottonwood, I think it is pretty nice place, very friendly people. No regrets moving here, except for needing to do a lot more on line shopping because there isn't much variety here. Thats okay, its part of the charm.

Curly
Thanks, Curly. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Wow...100F plus! I love it...but my wife won't. I just made a reservation at a motel in Cottonwood for the week of 21-25 April. I have done as much on-line researching and the forum as I possibly can...and have loads of data. Now it's time for reality check. I just hope I'll find a "one-stop" info center in each of the key cities I have narrowed down my search on...Prescott, Flagstaff and Cottonwood. Sedona is nice, too...but tend to be higher cost than the others. Any suggestions..besides those three locations? I am trying to find a place that has the combination of the best in each. A smallish town (for the peace & quiet and friendly folks), but close enough to bigger towns (for the services, various facilities) where it doesn't take half day to get to. I am strongly leaning on either Prescott or Cottonwood.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
Go with Prescott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott