Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM

56 posts, read 188,753 times

Advertisements

Plans are to re-locate to Prescott.

We are driving next month to Prescott, PV area and plan at looking at homes.

We are somewhat out of our element. We have lived in Michigan all of our lives and we are now retired and living in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Love Michigan......but the winters are just too damn long!

So, what to do? We met some lovely people from Prescott and from our conversation, Prescott sounded like a nice place to live.

But....That's it.....That's all we know.

As you can see we need help!

Need some hand holding here!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,927,334 times
Well, you are certainly doing the right thing by visiting the area to get a feel for it. You should spend some time driving around and seeing different areas. The Prescott area has a lot to offer and has many different areas that appeal to different tastes and activities. You should also find a knowledgeable realtor who has your best interest at heart.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,842,770 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...igh-radon.html You might want to check on this.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,980,434 times
I spent five years in Michigan and I think you guys will love it here. I've only been here for a month but I enjoy the pines and the winters here for you will be an absolute breeze compared to the freezing hell you uppers are used to. I caught the end of Winter here and it would snow at night, you would wake up to beautiful snow covered ground/mountains and a little chill, and then by 2 the snow would be gone except for some on the mountains which made for some nice views. The area known as Diamond Valley might be a good area to look. It is right between Prescott City proper and Prescott Valley, so you are a quick 5-10 minute trip to either. If you would like a few less neighbors you can also look to Chino Valley and even father out places like Paulden, Mayer, Wickenberg or even Cottonwood.

The only gotcha I've heard from the locals when looking for a place to live is that Prescott has a lot of half way houses. I think it is great that the city is opening up it's doors to helping a lot of troubled kids out, but you might want to check the proximity of those half way houses to where you might be purchasing a home if you plan to buy in the city. Generally the kids are well behaved but recently because of the number of half way houses there have been some minor issues. Other than that I think you would be mostly ok just about anywhere in the area, but I'm still a noob here so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by infocyde; 03-23-2013 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,542,816 times
"anything I should avoid?"

I would avoid any property with a home owners association or a special water district or anything else that could restrict or control you or jack up fees in the future.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,950,638 times
Some folks on this site may try to scare you off because now that they are in Prescott they want to close the door to any one else moving to Prescott. They do not want growth now that they are here.
For example radon is not a big deal as long as you test for it in your home and then if it is present you can have it eliminated for not a lot of money.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM

56 posts, read 188,753 times
Thanks Everyone.

We have changed our plans somewhat. We are now planning on taking Amtrak out of Chicago and enjoying the sights traveling west. Once we are in Arizona, we plan on renting a car and driving around the city of Prescott.. We just received a Prescott Package from a buyer's agent and by the looks of the pamphlet, it looks lovely.

The agent we spoke with says that the real estate market is "on fire". Is that "french" for "if you gotta ask the price.......you can't afford it?"

Are prices going up so fast that I am wasting my time looking at the listings, because they will probably be sold by the time we get out there? Just curious.

Anyway, certainly do appreciate your help.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM

191 posts, read 345,002 times
What is it that you and your husband are looking for as far as living in Prescott?

My wife and I found Prescott to be a bit overpopulated for comfort and weekends were that much worse with all the Phoenicians flocking there to beat the summer heat. At times it was like being on the LA freeways during rush hour. A few trips out there and we both knew it wasn't for us. PV was not much better unless you are north of 89 where there is more space.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,221,249 times
The Tri-City area offers so much diversity, it amazes me how quickly the scenery changes. Prescott has many different areas. Pick out the area that suits you and you can afford and don't be shy, knock on doors.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,542,816 times
When considering a house to rent or buy, spend some time sitting in your car watching the neighborhood. It will allow you to get the feeling of the neighborhood. Especially on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott