Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times

Advertisements

Just one side comment (and why is this page stretching out so far?). Stated taxes are way different then what is actually paid. On paper the USA has some of the highest corporate tax rates...yet the big boys don't pay it. They get all sorts of kick backs and dodge taxes even though their rate might be high effectively their actual pay rate is low.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
How in the world did this thread become so political? With that said, you are right on infocyde.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...tire/28481565/

Americans on the brink of retirement should head for rockier terrain.

Phoenix, Denver and Colorado Springs are among the top 10 best cities to retire, according to a Bankrate.com survey out today.

The full list includes:

1. Phoenix metro area, including Mesa and Scottsdale

2. Arlington/Alexandria, Va.

3. Prescott, Ariz.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...tire/28481565/

Americans on the brink of retirement should head for rockier terrain.

Phoenix, Denver and Colorado Springs are among the top 10 best cities to retire, according to a Bankrate.com survey out today.

The full list includes:

1. Phoenix metro area, including Mesa and Scottsdale

2. Arlington/Alexandria, Va.

3. Prescott, Ariz.

I'm starting to be a bit skeptical of all these listicles with Prescott featured. Just today I saw one put out by some lung foundation I'd never heard of and it had Prescott on their top ten places to move for good air.

I don't know what the air quality is but I do know Prescott is at 5400 feet and the air is thinner than at sea level. Someone with COPD/emphysema/etc might have a hard time breathing at that elevation if they're also afflicted with allergies or prone to lung infections.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm starting to be a bit skeptical of all these listicles with Prescott featured. Just today I saw one put out by some lung foundation I'd never heard of and it had Prescott on their top ten places to move for good air.

I don't know what the air quality is but I do know Prescott is at 5400 feet and the air is thinner than at sea level. Someone with COPD/emphysema/etc might have a hard time breathing at that elevation if they're also afflicted with allergies or prone to lung infections.
Prescott recently made some list for the cleanest air. As you noted, cleanest does not necessarily correlate with amount of oxygen

Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Prescott has been mentioned many times in various magazines and papers as being one of the best places to retire.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20to%20retire

Old 06-30-2015, 12:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Prescott has been mentioned many times in various magazines and papers as being one of the best places to retire.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20to%20retire
I am not only aware of that, it was kind of my point.

A listicle is an inexpensive way to generate content for a website. 21 Adorable Kitten Photos That Will Make You Go Awww, Bet You Didn't Know These 12 Stars Have Criminal Records, 11 Terrifying Animals You'll Only Find in Arizona, etc. There's no requirement that the list be truthful. I mean, who checks these things for accuracy? Nobody.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 06-30-2015 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
I guess the best place to retire or live for that matter depends on what you are looking for. As for us Prescott and Arizona in particular is a great place to live. We have no desire to live anywhere else. My only issue is my tomato garden isn't as good as it was in New York. Not bad, but just not as good. In New York we had hot humid nights and the virgin soil had better composition. Hell, we had tomatoes the size of grapefruits, here the size of tennis balls.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 06-30-2015 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:

A listicle is an inexpensive way to generate content for a website. 21 Adorable Kitten Photos That Will Make You Go Awww, Bet You Didn't Know These 12 Stars Have Criminal Records, 11 Terrifying Animals You'll Only Find in Arizona, etc. There's no requirement that the list be truthful. I mean, who checks these things for accuracy? Nobody.
If you are looking at 1or 2 liberal listacles that always promote liberal places as the best place to live then yes,your point is valid.
If you are viewing many different sources that suggest Prescott or another area is a great place to retire I think that is a bit different.

Prescott's Rankings
One of the Top 5 Places to Retire - Money Magazine
3rd in the country (all metro areas) for job growth and economic vitality - INC. Magazine
3rd Best Metro in the Country for Job Creation – Milken Institute
An Emerging Art Town - American Southwest Magazine
One of 100 Best Communities for Young People - American Promise
Top “Green” Arizona City - Sperling’s Best Places
One of Top 10 Most Popular Retirement Towns - www.topretirements.com
One of a dozen “Distinctive Destinations” - National Trust for Historic Preservation
Top 10 True Western Towns - True West Magazine
Top 20 Medium County Hospitals - Solucient
1 of 7 Greatest Places to Live - Bottom Line
Among Top 100 Cities to Live and Launch a Business – Fortune SmallBusiness
3rd Skinniest City by AARP (lowest average body mass index)
Top 10 “Dream Cities” - Sunset Magazine
#47 among Best Small Places for Business and Careers - Forbes.com
One of 50 Best Places to Live: The Next Great Adventure Towns - National Geographic Adventure Magazine (2008)
Top Ten Public Spaces: #3 Courthouse Plaza - American Planning Association
A Top Adventure Town - National Geographic Adventure Magazine (2009)
One of 7 Top Trail Towns - Trail Runner Magazine (2009)
Prescott Community Links

Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:

I agree, and I am sick to death of listicles full of empty-headed lists, which mean nothing. Just pure click bait, with absolutely no substance whatsoever to the articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott