Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,703,464 times

Advertisements

Finally today I see the APS trucks this AM at the cell tower. They are pulling the wiring into the conduit from across the street.
I guess after that maybe some final testing and the tower should be on the air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 PM

The power is hooked up, the meter is installed and the master switch is on. I don't know if the tower is up and running yet however as they may have to test it still.
Trying to reprogram my older 3g phone does not work yet so I must assume it's not up and running just yet.
Without my amplifier receiver online I have the same old 0 bars just 500' from the new tower.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:33 AM

375 posts, read 610,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
The power is hooked up, the meter is installed and the master switch is on. I don't know if the tower is up and running yet however as they may have to test it still.
Trying to reprogram my older 3g phone does not work yet so I must assume it's not up and running just yet.
Without my amplifier receiver online I have the same old 0 bars just 500' from the new tower.
My tower never worked and I can see it from my window. The tech said it was 4G LTE only - no voice.
If your's is data only, it still might do you no good because you may be in the Fresnel zone and packet collisions might switch you to another tower.

This thread gives a method to determine which cell tower you are currently using....>
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/735676

The thread said to push #878# on your phone and a voice will state the cell tower and antenna you are currently using. See the thread.

There is a free app for android and iPhone called open signal from opensignal.com that you might want to try. Especially for a "before and after" test. It is suppose to show you the direction and RSSI (Relative Signal Strength Indication) plus other neat stuff.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Been there and done all that before I installed the repeater some years ago. Without my repeater I consistently dropped calls even outside my home and everybody in my area has the same problem of course. People doing repairs to appliances and such that come to the home rely on cell services to get troubleshooting schematics displayed on tablets and advice and have the ability to order parts over the internet. Without service the techs would have to leave the home and drive about a mile to where they had a weak signal to do that work and of course I was paying for the time involved.
I know what tower I am accessing, miles away from me with my directional beam antenna and 65 db amp/repeater. With it online I can maintain 2-4 bars of good signal strength at my home. I know that my neighbors benefit from my installation also but it costs me nothing so I am glad to help. The Wilson repeater has paid for itself in the time that I have had it.
I just got off the phone with Verizon and of course they still don't know anything about it. I know that a contractor actually builds these for the company and then turns them over. Apparently for whatever reason this has not been done just yet.
After many years of poor service in this area it will be nice to have good cell services. We don't have a standard landline as we travel too much and there is no point in having a phone at the house that we don't use as we are not there.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Still nothing new with the tower. I am wondering at this point if they ever ran the telephone lines to the tower?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 29,648 times
Default Verizon comments

Just went to the Verizon store in PV. The person I talked with said the tower should be up and running in a couple of months, They are taking care of all the legalities involved while getting everything at the tower set up. Maybe a christmas present??

Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 PM

I doubt they know anything about it.
If Verizon Corporate has not had the tower turned over to them by the contract builder yet, which is the case, why would a cell phone sales person know anything?
Just saying.
I see another contractor is apparently laying phone lines from the main street. When that is done I suspect it will be tested and turned over for service.
When is anyone's guess.
I bought here 3 years ago and the residents of this area have had poor service from all companies due to the lack of towers for years. But getting the tower approved over objections and such has been a long road.
By the way, this tower, which is located in the park next to Park Ridge and Viewpoint North is going to bring in some $2700 a month to the city on the lease.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:37 PM

21 posts, read 29,648 times
Default Fingers crossed

Looks like we may be moving here in about a month so, keeping fingers crossed that tower is operational by then!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 AM

OK and welcome to the area.
If you are in my area you may have to go outside for cell service and still may get disconnected until it's up and running.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 AM

I just called the local Verizon sales store. The guy told me that he gets calls daily about why phones won't pick up the new tower or to ask when it's going to be operational.
He said that the best information he has at this time is that is "should be operational by the end of the year". Lacking information at best but if you call corporate they don't even have a record of this tower yet. My best guess would be because the contractor building it has not turned it over to Verizon yet for operation? Disappointing for those that have lived in this area for many years with very minimal service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott