Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 177,144 times

Advertisements

Embedded object | The Daily Courier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,669,761 times
Looks like brain cancer spreading outward.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:22 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,047,826 times
"Everybody's Hometown"

If everybody's a junkie, that is.

In Prescott, ?Everybody?s Hometown? Grapples With Heroin Addiction

Old 04-03-2016, 05:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,268,019 times
We are sitting here reading all of this and we are reconsidering our trip in July. We are visiting Prescott to look at homes for sale because all we've heard in the past is how great a place Prescott is to retire to. It is one of the places we were considering, but now we're not so sure. It's a shame because we thought it would be a really nice place to live. We started planning this trip about 6 months ago, but now we're undecided on whether we should come or not.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:59 PM

7,520 posts, read 4,389,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
We are sitting here reading all of this and we are reconsidering our trip in July. We are visiting Prescott to look at homes for sale because all we've heard in the past is how great a place Prescott is to retire to. It is one of the places we were considering, but now we're not so sure. It's a shame because we thought it would be a really nice place to live. We started planning this trip about 6 months ago, but now we're undecided on whether we should come or not.
It is a really nice place to live. In fact it's a great place to live. The only way you're going to find out is to come out and see for yourself. We moved out here not knowing a single soul and were surprised at how quickly we made new friends. It's as if we'd known these people all of our lives. We've yet to hear too many people complaining about life here in Arizona, Prescott in particular. Those that do probably wouldn't be happy anywhere. It is what you make of it. As for us we are proud of our adopted state and community.

Plan on making several trips. Walk around, visit the many shops and stores that you'll probably be doing business with. Especially downtown, which some may consider the worst part of Prescott. That's what we did along with other locations throughout the state. Just a guess, but I doubt that you'll be looking for a home in the downtown area.

In the 6 years that we've lived here there's never been a time where we've felt unsafe or threatened in any manner. Even while walking around downtown where according to that map most recovery homes are located. Granted no one wants a recovery home in their neighborhood. I believe that our state and local representatives are trying to and eventually will solve this problem. The City of Prescott is around 40 square miles there are many neighborhoods where you will be able to find a home that does not have a recovery home within it. Not to mention homes that are outside of city limits. With an area of 40 square miles and around 40,000 people the population density is spread out. As compared to where we used to live where there were 22,000 people crammed into just 4 square miles.

Obviously there is no guarantee that at some time in the future one may crop up in your neighborhood. We had one in ours, however in spite of all of our worst fears there weren't any issues with it. It's no longer being used as a recovery home and is currently up for sale. This is not to say that others haven't had issues in their neighborhoods. I doubt that there will too many more recovery homes coming to this area seeing that the city and it's residents are cracking down on them. I believe that they will succeed.

I think that no matter where you decide to move there won't be any type of issues of some sort. We've traveled throughout the country, mostly in the southwest especially Arizona because of a lifelong desire to live here. Unless you move out into the middle of nowhere just about every town or city is going to have it's good and bad parts. Just about every community throughout the country has a substance abuse problem. As long as that crap is readily available, no place is immune. No place is absolutely perfect, but for us this place is about as close as we're ever gonna' get.

I wish you all the luck in your move.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-03-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 08:27 PM

Thanks Ex New Yorker for your thoughts on this. It is very much appreciated. We'll have to decide pretty soon if we will still visit or not.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,328,496 times
I've been a critic of the rehabs as the few people that own them are getting filthy rich at the expense of the town. However, it's still a nice town, it just would be better without all the rehabs.

My only experience with them was doing plumbing work on several of them. The thing I didn't like about them was the sheer amount of people that would chain smoke on the front porch all day long it seemed. I sure wouldn't want one on my block.

The best place in prescott to live anyways is in Williamson valley IMO. I didn't look at the map, but there can't be too many, if any, out that way? I'd still go on your trip if you're of retired age. You probably won't even notice any of the group homes. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:39 PM

Thanks 6.7traveler.

Another question - is the same thing happening in Prescott Valley also, or is it just Prescott?

Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 PM

187 posts, read 282,552 times
Just today I heard that there is another attempt or bidding for the defunct/bankrupt Religious SDA Camp Yavapines on Iron Springs Road and turn it into a Group Homes Camp.

In such a great neighbor hood. Wonder whether this is being kept quiet by the politicians/investors as I have not seen any write up on this possible venture.

Due to lots of $$$$$$$ from Group Homes many politicians don't seem to bat an eye as this $$$$$ helps the $72 million they're entitled to pay off!

cheer...

Old 04-03-2016, 09:25 PM

479 posts, read 807,793 times
Rosanne...first of all, let me state that in a perfect world, NOBODY wants a rehab place inter neighborhood but let me tell you, those facilities are all over the place and most people have no idea they exist. I spent 29 years as a police officer in San Diego and rarely ever had to go to a call at a rehab place (less than 10 for sure). They just didn't create alot of problems based on my experience. The OP must be surrounded by rehab houses because he has a huge hang-up about the issue in Prescott as evidenced by what seems to be 98% of his posts on this board.

I can tell you that when we went back in February and spent 4 days house hunting and driving the area, I never saw a single place that looked like it was a rehab house. I was obviously looking in areas that were too nice for rehab places or the rehab places were too clean to stand out. If it's a major concern and you have no problem with HOA's, but in a residential neighborhood with an HOA that prohibits the group homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott