Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,045 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide on a location to buy a property in Prescott for retirement. We noticed that a lot of streets are extremely busy going through a lot of the nice neighborhoods. We did like the pinion Oaks neighborhood because the lots are bigger. What is pioneer Parkway like On that side of town? Is it like a busy freeway? Didn’t seem all that busy when we have been on it. I was just wondering if it’s a negative as far as property values go If your property is near it. We saw beautiful homes off East Rosser but that street seemed busier than the parkway? Or am I wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak19 View Post
We are trying to decide on a location to buy a property in Prescott for retirement. We noticed that a lot of streets are extremely busy going through a lot of the nice neighborhoods. We did like the pinion Oaks neighborhood because the lots are bigger. What is pioneer Parkway like On that side of town? Is it like a busy freeway? Didn’t seem all that busy when we have been on it. I was just wondering if it’s a negative as far as property values go If your property is near it. We saw beautiful homes off East Rosser but that street seemed busier than the parkway? Or am I wrong
Pinon Oaks is a major connector just like Hwy-69, Hwy-89, Willow Creek, Williamson Valley, and Iron Springs. There will be cars and trucks passing along day and night. If your house abuts Pioneer Parkway, then there will be a devaluation as compared to a house that is not next to the highway. That said, Pinon Oaks is a wonderful area. The lots are larger than most subdivisions (~1/2 acre). There are CC&Rs, but no formal HOA. The properties are well-maintained, and it is one of the few subdivisions where you can park and RV or trailer on your property. The only other negative, is that there are occasional airplanes flying overhead from the airport, depending on the prevailing winds (since they affect take-off and landing patterns).

Rosser is a minor connector (probably not the technical term). Rosser is the main artery to get to all of the homes between Willow Creek and Hwy-89. The speed limit is currently set to 25 mph, which can be very frustrating, since the street is dead-straight and wide, but that helps make the road safer for the houses that have driveways off of Rosser. There might be more cars on Rosser as compared to Pioneer Pkwy, or it might just seem that way, because the cars on Pioneer Pkwy travel so much faster.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,045 times
That makes since and it really helps from a local perspective. Thank you for that. We liked the pinion oaks area. There was a great house but boarders the parkway. I think I will stay clear of that. I always believe location location when it comes to resale even if the property is a great deal.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
That makes since and it really helps from a local perspective. Thank you for that. We liked the pinion oaks area. There was a great house but boarders the parkway. I think I will stay clear of that. I always believe location location when it comes to resale even if the property is a great deal.
You're welcome. It's a great deal, because it is discounted for the road noise. If you don't mind the noise, then you can get a lot more house for the money. When you sell, it will again be discounted for the road noise, so it should be a wash. However, there will always be fewer buyers who want to live next to the road even with the discount.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:11 PM

27 posts, read 37,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
You're welcome. It's a great deal, because it is discounted for the road noise. If you don't mind the noise, then you can get a lot more house for the money. When you sell, it will again be discounted for the road noise, so it should be a wash. However, there will always be fewer buyers who want to live next to the road even with the discount.
Thank You for this perspective and information. I get an email every day with a brief list of houses for sale.... I am still a year or so out from actually looking, but I did wonder why some houses seemed to be so....lets say inexpensive as compared to others. Now I think I know..... I think I will be looking a little closer at Condos,and or Townhouses. I'm not specifically concerned about resale, more with not being bothered while I'm there.....lol.....I have enough traffic here, I don't need to move to have it there as well.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,694,346 times
You are aware that the Prescott area is popular with tourists? That does mean traffic, mainly on weekends but in the 10 years or so we have been here we have scene an increase in daily traffic too.
We avoid downtown Prescott on weekends as a result.
We lived less than a mile from the courthouse square where most of the tourists seemed to like to go so we drove around it to avoid problems on weekends in the nicer WX. Sometimes you don't have a choice as they block the roads for the events.
We bought a home on the North side of Prescott Valley. No traffic to speak of and the area is very quiet. It's about 10 miles or so to the Square if we want to drive there.
Good luck with your relocation.
By the way, you used the term freeway. We don't have any here. Just two lane highways at best.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM

558 posts, read 970,545 times
I avoid downtown restaurants during the tourist season. Not a huge loss, as most of them aren't the best restaurants in the area as they can be mediocre and still survive with the tourists that aren't very picky. I'm looking at you, Prescott Brewing Company.

I think Pioneer Parkway, from the airport to Roberts Road, could technically be called a freeway.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
A wise decision. After awhile living close to a highway will get old awful fast. We lived about 400 ft. from one back in New York. Even that was too close. Now we're about a half mile from one, off of Williamson Valley Road. You can still barely hear the traffic on occasion but it is relatively quiet.

I could never understand why anyone would even consider building homes right on a busy thoroughfare? Or why anyone would want to live there? When we were back in New York someone had built a house right next to a bus stop. It was literally 20 ft. away from the side of the house, plus the entrance ramp to the highway was right in their backyard. Right across the street was an AM/PM convenience store/gas station. You'd have to be out of your mind to live there.

We've never been interested so much in the resale value of our home in Arizona as we have no intention of moving. In New York the cost of living and owning a home is astronomical compared to Arizona. So if you want to own a nice home in a nice area of New York you'd better have a real lot of money and a damn good job. Our home in Arizona would be considered a nice home in New York and in a nice area.

With a middle class income in New York, if you want to own a home you can't be too choosey. When I say New York I'm referring to the New York metro area that's where most of the jobs are. Upstate is more affordable but good luck finding work. There are a lot of dairy farms and most of the upstate cities are an industrial wasteland. Winter is dismal, dank and dreary with a lot of snow.

However for what we got for our old home in a not so nice part of New York enabled us to buy a much nicer home in Arizona and in a neighborhood that we could only dream about back there.

Obviously everyone's situation is different along with what they can afford. We never lived beyond our means and our lives are so much better because of that.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
I avoid downtown restaurants during the tourist season. Not a huge loss, as most of them aren't the best restaurants in the area as they can be mediocre and still survive with the tourists that aren't very picky. I'm looking at you, Prescott Brewing Company.

I think Pioneer Parkway, from the airport to Roberts Road, could technically be called a freeway.
What to you think about Manzinita Village? My wife and I are in Prescott this month, doing some house hunting, and she saw a condo there come up for sale, with a favorable price compared to the rest of what we have been seeing.

I am not sure it would be for me, but she seems keen on it for sure.

What is your thoughts?

Old 07-23-2019, 11:43 AM

558 posts, read 970,545 times
I'll PM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott