Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:23 PM

9 posts, read 70,003 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of buying land in the Pines in Prescott and was wondering if anyone can give me information on the water situation in the pine areas and which areas to stay away from. We want to build a log house but we are not fimiliar with the area so would appreciate any help we can get.

Thanks,
Candida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
Hi Candida - Most of the pines areas either are on city water (Mountain Club, Rancho Vista, etc) or are serviced by private water companies (such as Highland Pines or Groom Creek areas). If you get into a remote area of the pines you would have to drill a well or haul water - it depends on where you planning on building. I know there are people in the Walker area who have wells that produce okay, but there are some other more remote areas where there is no electric service available in order to run a well pump, so those folks have to haul water. Hopes this info helps.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 PM

I heard to beware because there are some areas that are low on water. I do like the Groom Creek area. I think that is the area near Goldwater Lake on Senator Highway and want to look at other areas too. I want to get out of the desert. I am from NY and have been in the desert long enough. I want green trees to look at.

Thanks,
Candida

Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 AM

10 posts, read 73,650 times
If you want PINE TREES, an elevation of 6000 ft, and about an hour drive from Fountain Hills then I have the place for you because I bought in it two years ago and plan to build a log home there too! You never have to worry about water because it is one of the only developments in the mountains that has a 100 year adequate water supply certificate issued by the state which is why I bought into this. It is in BEAUTIFUL rim country nestled between the quaint towns of Pine/Strawberry right off highway 87. Many little touristy shops and restaurants are there for convenience while it still keeps the rural feel. There are trails for quads and hiking in my backyard. Fishing on the lakes can be done either up on the rim, or if you want boating the Salt River reservoir lakes(Roosevelt, Canyon, Apache, Saguaro) are within an hour drive. This development has it all as far as utilities(sewer-gas-electric-cable-phone-you name it), scenery, great weather, paved roads, elevation for views, great people, peace and quiet, and convenience. It's called Strawberry Hollow and you can go online at StrawberryHollow.com to check it out. The developers have planned fabulously and since the second phase just recently opened, there will be lots available for resale from initial investors. My neighbor lot are the first people to start building in the second phase and there are lovely homes in phase one. This is very picturesque. I seriously recommend taking the quick trip past Payson 13 miles on highway 87(4 lane highway from the valley to Payson). You will be glad you did like I have, as I'm tired of the valley congestion and will find peace building my log cabin. Last month they got 1 and a half feet of snow and get heavier precipitation year round being snuggled up against the rim. Everything is landlocked by three national forests(Tonto, Coconino, and Apache Sitgreaves) so development will be hindered which is a positive for land values. I almost forgot to mention that the trees in and around this development has been thinned out just slightly enough to combat the threat of wildfire as it borders the thick Tonto National Forest. It helps creat a clear view of the surrounding rim valley. They also clear the underbrush 100 yards into the forest. I know one of my neighbors who might be looking to sell since he isn't going to build. Your post sounds great! It's just what I'm looking for too. I travel between the valley and northern AZ for my job so it works for me being a little over an hour drive from Phoenix and Flagstaff. I'm hoping to have some good neighbors someday. The only thing I can find someone saying anything against this area is if you are looking for employment or retail shopping(malls), they are limited as you may have to drive longer for them than Prescott. I apologize if that's what you need, yet I'm in my 30's and I don't need or want that. We do have grocery stores and restaurants within walking distance, and Payson is 13 miles away. If I need to do other shopping I can plan to do that once a month like I always do when I'm in Phoenix or Flag. Check out the website!

Old 01-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Thank you for your information about Strawberry Hollow. I don't want to have a strick HOA. I don't like them. Also I want to stay near I-17 I have some health issues that are rare and need my phoenix doctors.

Thanks,
Candida

Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 PM

Yeah, you can't raise animals or leave your cars out on the street in this HOA. Something to consider which is what I prefer. Understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Phoenix docs are still hour and a half away and Payson Medical is 15 minutes. Best wishes for you in your search. I know this can be a quiet lifestyle for you. Lots begin in the $80k and go up to $170k for the elevated view lots.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 10,468 times
Can you tell us if you still feel as pleased with Strawberry Hollow as you were when you posted 2 years ago? We are considering a property in that development.

How is snow removal handled?

We searched on line and saw there may be conversion to private road. Will the development handle maintenance and snow removal then if that goes through?

Any new information or revised opinions would be greatly appreaciated since some time has passed and we are looking to sneak out of the hot summers. Area is beautiful. Thank you

Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
^

Don't think they post here any longer.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Still posting, but it's been a couple years. The road is private now for the purpose of putting a gate at one end of the development to keep out traffic from vehicles looking to take a short cut through Strawberry Hollow. Residents are pleased. The gate has helped out, but this isn't a gated community. The main entrance is always open. Snow removal is only an isue for a day or two. The pavement melts it away quickly. HOA is fiscally sound and improving. The private road has a warranty.

Check it out, as there have been some nice new houses built recently. Great investment! Sorry it took so long to reply.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,469 times
We live in Highland Pines, northwest of Prescott and our independent water company provides us with water from the city of Prescott and a reasonable price. You must be careful when you look at lots in this area however. Some lots can be connected to the water company and some cannot. Before you buy a lot to build on, be sure that there is a water company that serves that particular lot. Don't count on drilling a well either. I've heard of people who drilled and drilled and never did reach water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott