Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 PM

128 posts, read 431,790 times

Advertisements

After over a year on the market our Yuma Home has sold, so we can now head to the Prescott area. Looking for 1 - 5 Acres with a 4BR Home. Ideally a large outbuilding that can house a 40' RV and shop. Been doing a lot of property surfing, and the acreage and homes are plentiful, but have not found one with an outbuilding.

Does anyone have a lead on where/how to seach for such a property?

Interested in the Chino Valley or Prescott Valley area. Not interested in the Prescott Valley area far north of Hwy 89A. If the property size, zoning, and price permit I could have an outbuilding constructed.

Move date is 12 June, but can live in RV until we find and close on a new place.

Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,921,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
After over a year on the market our Yuma Home has sold, so we can now head to the Prescott area. Looking for 1 - 5 Acres with a 4BR Home. Ideally a large outbuilding that can house a 40' RV and shop. Been doing a lot of property surfing, and the acreage and homes are plentiful, but have not found one with an outbuilding.

Does anyone have a lead on where/how to seach for such a property?

Interested in the Chino Valley or Prescott Valley area. Not interested in the Prescott Valley area far north of Hwy 89A. If the property size, zoning, and price permit I could have an outbuilding constructed.

Move date is 12 June, but can live in RV until we find and close on a new place.

Any pointers in the right direction are appreciated.

George
Hi George,

Unfortunately, there are no homes currently listed with an RV garage in Chino Valley. So your best option is probably to build one. Assuming that you do not want a manufactured home, there are 27 homes in Chino/Paulden that meet your criteria, ranging from $180K-$750K.

I do not understand your Prescott Valley comment. You say that PV is ok, but then you say that you are not interested in the land north of 89A. That is the only land in PV that has acreage. There are some acreage parcels west of PV in would would be considered Prescott as well as some acreage land in Dewey, southeast of PV. Depending on your price range, you might also find something in Williamson Valley north of Prescott.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Default PV Clarification

Brian, thanks for the response and information.

I'll clarify my comment regarding the PV area north of 89A. We looked at several homes north of 89A, and found some that were very appealing, however we usually found them about 5 miles north of 89A on roads that would be questionable in the winter.

If we were able to find something "just north of 89A", we would consider it.

I do not have horses, so that is not an issue. As I mentioned good access (preferably paved) is an issue.

We're surfing all the Web Sites, and concentrating on the $250K - $300K price range. Either 4 BR or 3BR with office, and a formal dining room would be a plus.

Not knowing construction costs in that area, I have no idea what a 30X50 Building (metal or stick) would run. If anyone has some figures on this, that would help our decisoin process.

Thanks.

George

Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM

73 posts, read 302,756 times
Brian take a look at Mingus Meadows on 89A just east of the fair grounds. Currently there is a house on 2 acres for $265,000 2363 sqft. Listing #935883. You would have to build the RV garage.
I was just looking around for about the same except a metal building to store classic cars. If you ever build around here really check what the cities set-backs are and roof ratings, PV frowns on heavy duty metal RV & carports they raised the snow load. And demands the same building permits as a stick garage, but yet no rules for the tent carport you buy at Costco that ends up in your neighbors yard after the first wind storm... I came up 1 foot short on being able to build a 4 car garage and the city wouldn't give me a variance. Make sure you check the foundations when you buy, they had a lot of cheap labor building these homes up here. A year or two ago PV changed their building code for thicker foundations due to to many cracked foundations... I had a friend who bought in Pronghorn Ranch and had the thicker foundation poured.
Chino Valley is nice, check out Appaloosa Meadows for your RV garage, they are just north of the police station. I feel Prescott is over-priced currently. I'm retired so I get a lot of time to travel the area. Good luck on your search.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks Checkthecodes.

ANother question on the Mesa View Subdivision. Some listings state RV Parking, but does anyone know if you can build an RV Barn in Mesa View?

George

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,921,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
ANother question on the Mesa View Subdivision. Some listings state RV Parking, but does anyone know if you can build an RV Barn in Mesa View?
According to the Mesa View CC&Rs...
  • There is no restriction for RVs (at least not forbidden in the CC&Rs).
  • Construction must comply with Chino Valley code and be permitted.
  • No Prefabricated building/structure is allowed. I.e., must be built/assembled on site.
  • Setbacks are 20 feet from front, back, or corner, and 10 feet between lots.
  • Detached garages and other permitted accessory buildings must meet the appropriate government jurisdiction requirements (i.e., be permitted and inspected).

So, it looks like you can build an RV garage in Mesa View.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 AM

BiggsHomes,

You deliver again. Thank you very much.

Anything that I have constructed will be done with all necessary permits and inspections. While I am, for the most part, a "do it yourselfer" I know my limitations, and also do not have the time required. I travel extensively on the Rodeo Circuit doing Scoreboard & Sound.

Thanks again.

George

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
There are quite a few homes in Mesa View with RV garages. As Biggs mentioned, they just have to be architecturally compatible with the house. Unfortunately none of the homes with RV garages in Mesa View are on the market right now.

There are a few others out there, but it is hard to pinpoint them on the MLS. Not all listing agents check the appropriate input box for "RV garage" so they don't always get earmarked correctly and then don't show up when you run a search on MLS.

Just a quick comment about the rural area north of PV, i.e. Coyote Springs, Mingus Meadows, Antelope Meadows, etc. That is a very good water area. In fact you have to be a little careful about floodplain designations on some properties in that area. Perhaps you're confusing some of the Dewey areas off 69 or 169. While some Dewey areas are excellent water areas, other areas are very hit & miss.

Depending on the lot size, you shouldn't have much of a problem building an additional outbuilding if you're dealing solely with County codes. You have some limitations depending on the total sq ft of your buildings as compared with the total sq ft of the parcel. The Developmental Services Department of Yavapai County is very helpful and can give you all the details.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM

Thanks Gretchen. More data into the equation.

Last summer we looked at some places north of 89A, and found the access to be via some pretty poor dirt roads. Nice places, but pitiful access. Glas to hear about good water in Antelope Meadows, as we're considering a Short Sale there (933220), and may drive up to look it over if my work schedule permits.

Good info regarding the % of land covered (occupied by buildings). All the more reason to go with at least 2 Acres, as I plan for a 30X50 Accessory Building.

Again thanks for ALL the input. We're surfing every day when we're not packing. :-)

George

Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
Hey, George, just a side note. There are a few bank-owned (foreclosure) properties out in the Antelope Meadows/Coyote Springs area that are very well priced. Also a couple of new builds that are fire-sale priced in the mid-$200's. The short sales (pre-foreclosures) are such long shots and take so long to close . . . if they even do close . . . you might want to at least check out the foreclosures. (Just my 2-cents worth )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott