Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,937,089 times

Advertisements

Appreciate the input! TT Dave, Twista 6002, whatcha got here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Appreciate the input! TT Dave, Twista 6002, whatcha got here?
Oh man, you don't want to see me trying to draw up X's and O's. I'd look like a big ole fool real quick!...lol.

However, this play below by Boise State from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is one of the best offensive schemes/plays I've ever seen. And in this case it worked out very well for them. They called it the "Statue of Liberty" It's very simple but in this case highly effective. Notice how the QB fakes the throw to the three available wide receivers on the right, switches the ball to his left hand, holding the ball low and out of sight. Then the RB who at first glance seems to be just standing there watching the pass play suddenly rushes forward and takes the ball and runs with it for the TD. Brilliant!

Here it is:

YouTube - Boise State University's Statue Of Liberty To Win The 2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM

910 posts, read 2,990,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Oh man, you don't want to see me trying to draw up X's and O's. I'd look like a big ole fool real quick!...lol.

However, this play below by Boise State from the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is one of the best offensive schemes/plays I've ever seen. And in this case it worked out very well for them. They called it the "Statue of Liberty" It's very simple but in this case highly effective. Notice how the QB fakes the throw to the three available wide receivers on the right, switches the ball to his left hand, holding the ball low and out of sight. Then the RB who at first glance seems to be just standing there watching the pass play suddenly rushes forward and takes the ball and runs with it for the TD. Brilliant!

Here it is:

YouTube - Boise State University's Statue Of Liberty To Win The 2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

You know what made that such a great play call? It was to win the game, and the defense was angry because of their last score, and they were also thinking that they would win the game with a stop. So angry, that they will jump all routes as soon as they see a throwing motion, and the back didn't do anything at all! There was no way that defense was going too know that Boise was running the ball, and with great play execution. That is how they won the game.

Last edited by Vision-Quest; 10-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: 2 point conversion!!!!! Not a touchdown!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
You know what made that such a great play call? It was to win the game, and the defense was angry because of their last score, and they were also thinking that they would win the game with a stop. So angry, that they will jump all routes as soon as they see a throwing motion, and the back didn't do anything at all! There was no way that defense was going too know that Boise was running the ball, and with great play execution. That is how they won the game.
Yeah, the OU defense didn't even remotely anticipate that play! The OU fans were so shocked they looked like they had just seen aliens from outer space...lol. I said above that this play was for the winning TD, but like you said it was actually for the 2 point conversion to win.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 PM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
How did I miss this thread?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Well your here now!! haha do you got a play in mind?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,094,330 times
A lot of teams use motion get other teams to reveal their coverage (man or zone, cover 1, cover 8, etc). A lot of times you'll see motion out of a specific formation or on a specific D & D and it'll be a run play that's completely irrelevant to the motion, so that way later in the game the play caller knows the coverage when he wants to call a pass.

Motion is also used to beat a cover 2 (press). If you have a smaller finesse receiver and the other guy is doing a good job of not letting him get a clean release, short or cross motion is a good way of not letting him get jammed.

Also for me (I run a wing-T) the motion guy gets the ball a lot. Fly sweep, solid sweep and he runs with the play most of the time if he doesn't get it. Although it's kind of hard for me to describe without a chalk board.

We have all sorts of motion: divide (crossing the formation), zip (Z lined up as wing going in a wing-T semi-circle motion), bop (the H lined up as a wing in the wing-T semicircle motion), charger (X or Y lined up tight and motioning across to kick out the end), zap (short motion to blow up and crack the end, also illegal in the NFL), etc.

Besides the obvious wing-T plays, I play I've run with motion is "Colton divide Redlans trade".

Colton is a formation (named after Colton High School, a local powerhouse) in which there is one back, a tight end and 3 receivers on the side opposite the tight end. The closest receiver sprints across to the TE side and when the ball is snapped he runs a sharp out, generally 8-12 yards depending on the D & D and the TE runs up the seam. Teams can be so clustered when they see the 3 receiver set and then spread out when they see the motion but still may be cheating with the motion. Depending on how the safeties play it the QB can either hit the TE or the motion guy. In our homecoming game in 2002 against ACA (a game which is considered legendary for so many reasons at St Thomas Aquinas HS) when I was just a little sophmore dressing out, we ran this play and converted a 4th and 14 with about 30 seconds on our game-winning drive.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,094,330 times
Can we start a pregame speech thread? I got a good one for next Friday!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:02 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,420,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post

And than the on 3 meant that the QB would say, "Ready, Set, Go, Go, Go," And on the third Go is when the ball got snapped. They do that to hopefully make the defense jump for a penalty, "Peyton Mannings favorite."
I think the Hard Count, is a much more useful tool in reading the Defense, particularly the Linebackers. If they take a step in a direction, it gives you a great idea what they are doing. If you leave 10-15 seconds on the play clock, you can move a blocker, or audible altogether.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Can we start a pregame speech thread? I got a good one for next Friday!

That would be a good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football