Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,857,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Lots of conversation about it on a sports message board I read, some trolls suggesting he might be a good pick, give me a break!!!

Players in their mid-thirties start to slow down (some, not all) and aren't as sharp, fast as they once were but still great players. However, key is they've always been playing the game!

What team would want to take him on, a very desperate one, I guess.
Of course, the other angle is that he is almost certainly healthier now than he was for the last nine years of his active career.

I'm definitely not going to say that he's going to come back and set the league on fire (extremely, extremely unlikely) but the possibility exists that he will not be so horribly diminished as it may seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:17 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,680,885 times
I tend to believe he was a disruptive force in the locker room. Thus, he has got to go...especailly now that I think his skills/talent wont be able to make up for his chemistry shortcomings...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,686,565 times
Yeah, maybe he could come back and play but with so many younger players looking for a chance, I just can't see it.

Look at all the rookies the Pack added in this year, because of the long IR list (over 15 I think)! They picked up some young players dropped by other teams. In some ways it helped them because teams didn't have a clue who some of these guys were in terms of preparation.

I say give the up and coming young guys a chance rather than someone who hasn't been too smart with his choices in life. I know that sounds wrong, maybe a little harsh and unfair.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,325,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I don't think the age matters. As long as he is healthy and able to be competitive.
At the running back position, age matters. It's not just the loss of explosiveness and quickness it's the ability to recover.

I'd don't see him coming back after missing three years.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM

166 posts, read 376,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
At the running back position, age matters. It's not just the loss of explosiveness and quickness it's the ability to recover.
Perfectly stated. Barber was a serviceable third down back at age 30. Now? No chance. He'll be a punching bag for defenses and a headache for whoever signs him.

I wouldn't sign any RB over 30. The exceptions (Thomas Jones, etc) are very rare and the 22 year olds come a lot cheaper (and faster). Look at KC. They've managed their stable of backs better than anyone, IMO.

RB's should be young, and cheap. Spend the offensive money on QB.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,011,941 times
Maybe he doesn't have enough cash to support his young girlfriend.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,887,266 times
Ex-New York Giants RB Tiki Barber says he battled depression after NFL - ESPN New York

Quote:
"The game never needs you because there's always someone else to come and take your place," he said. "But right now, I need the game."
I'll give him one thing, at least he's honest about "needing the game" because he needs $$$$$$.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,087,402 times
He's done in my book, liike Michael Strahan said, 'you don't ever want to lose respect you earned as a player for TV ratings', as he put down his coach and teammates, hence he failed miserably as a journalist and needs money, well his best years are behind him, too bad, he made poor choices.

According to his agent he has two serious offers, can't wait to see who's gonna pick him up and how he will fare.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,587,018 times
Now I've just read that his plans to get married in the hamptons come April have been put on hold since he hasn't reached a settlement with his estranged wife!!!

What a knucklehead (being real polite, here).

Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Now I've just read that his plans to get married in the hamptons come April have been put on hold since he hasn't reached a settlement with his estranged wife!!!

What a knucklehead (being real polite, here).
Two questions.

1. What settlement? He is as broke as a joke and he has nothing. Other than setting child support he is tapped out.

2. How can he afford a Hamptons wedding if he is having money issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football