Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I have seen a few games in Neyland Stadium... The most memorable one was in 89 or 90 against Florda at night. We still had the Turf. We had Dale Carter back then. He returned a kickoff that game. And we beat them 49-19 I believe. I'll go back and look up the exact game. The Gators wore blue pants and I remember Spurrier vowing to never wear those again because of the ass whipping they got. lol...

ok.. I was off on the score. it was 45-3. And Dale Carter returned the second have kickoff. Here is recap from Wikipedia. Full article here
Florida

1990: Homecoming
Steve Spurrier returned to his alma mater in 1990 to become the Gators’ new football coach. In yet another link between the programs, Spurrier had been a star QB at Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tennessee in the early 1960s. Although Knoxville is nearby, he had not seriously considered attending UT because he was an excellent passer and Tennessee ran a single wing offense at the time which featured a running quarterback.[21] Instead, he choose to return to the state of his birth (Spurrier was born in Miami Beach[22]), eventually becoming Florida’s first Heisman Trophy winner in 1966.
Spurrier’s first Gator squad was 5-0 and ranked #10 coming into the matchup with Johnny Majors’ 3-0-2 and #9 Tennessee Volunteers, marking the first time in series history that both rivals were ranked in the AP top-10 when they faced off. (It was not Spurrier’s first visit to Knoxville as an opposing coach; his 1988 Duke Blue Devils had upset the Vols 31-26.[23])
The 1990 game began as a defensive struggle, with Tennessee holding a slim 7-3 lead at the half. However, the Vols’ Dale Carter returned the second half kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown, igniting the home crowd at Neyland Stadium.[24]
On their ensuing possession, the Gators fumbled for what would be the first of six UF turnovers in the second half. The opportunistic Vols took full advantage, turning Spurrier’s homecoming (and, coincidentally, Tennessee’s homecoming game) into a “dominating” 45-3 rout.[25]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So your chances at a perfect Sunday aren't very good.

sadly no

that's why when it happens it feels like Christmas

Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Having Eli Manning tied to a post so I could keep tackling him.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Since I live in the sweltering hell-hole of Florida It would have to be going to a late season trip to Green Bay or Cleveland or Pittsburgh someplace where there is a solid tradition, where fans will show up win or lose and the weather would be COLD !!!
If I wer e flying between venues, I'd go to the Army/Navy Game on Saturday the 10th , then fly to Green Bay and see the Raiders vs Packers on the 11th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football