Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
vs Favre?

I dont think he meant against Favre... but versus as instead of Favre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I dont think he meant against Favre... but versus as instead of Favre.
Ah. Makes sense.

I was thining why the hell would he take Favre to court.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Ah. Makes sense.

I was thining why the hell would he take Favre to court.
Yea, I thought the same thing at first. I don't think Vilma will take it that far though. Not sure he will win an appeal though.

Unfortunately for him, he is the example. It is what it is...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
vs Favre?
Someone had mentioned Favre taking the issue to court and suing the NFL or the Saints or players which is a stretch at best. I was simply implying (poorly) that Vilma is more likely to go to court of his suspension than Favre is over his injuries.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Yep, I could totally see that as well.. The thing is, both Vilma and/or Favre could make a complete circus out of this and take this thing to trial.... They both have money and resources to hire good attorneys and make a mockery of the whole deal!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Vilma is vehemently denying the accusations from the NFL and the coaches, GM and owner admitting to it.. The way I see it, Vilma is calling the coaches, GM and owner liars... How else can you look at this?

If Vilma were to take this to court, he might be suing the NFL but he would have to accuse his own organization of lying in order to do so..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Yea, I thought the same thing at first. I don't think Vilma will take it that far though. Not sure he will win an appeal though.

Unfortunately for him, he is the example. It is what it is...
example or not, I couldn't be happier with the decision. I like a little action in a game, don't we all, that is what makes football fun, but it is getting out of hand.

Nita

Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
NEW ORLEANS -- Suspended Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma has filed a defamation lawsuit against NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Orleans claims Goodell has made false statements about Vilma while discussing the NFL's bounty investigation of the New Orleans Saints.
"As I've said before..I NEVER PAID, NOR INTENDED TO PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY,TO ANY PLAYER FOR INTENTIONALLY HURTING AN OPPONENT," Vilma posted on his Twitter account. "maybe this will get some people attention."
Goodell has said Vilma was a leader of the team's bounty program that put up thousands of dollars for bounties on opposing team's star players, including then-Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner and then-Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre during the 2009-10 playoffs.
Goodell also has suspended Vilma for the entire season. Vilma and three other players who received shorter suspensions all have appealed their punishments.
Vilma denies putting up money to knock any player out of a game.
His lawsuit asks for unspecified monetary damages.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
NEW ORLEANS -- Suspended Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma has filed a defamation lawsuit against NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in New Orleans claims Goodell has made false statements about Vilma while discussing the NFL's bounty investigation of the New Orleans Saints.
"As I've said before..I NEVER PAID, NOR INTENDED TO PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY,TO ANY PLAYER FOR INTENTIONALLY HURTING AN OPPONENT," Vilma posted on his Twitter account. "maybe this will get some people attention."
Goodell has said Vilma was a leader of the team's bounty program that put up thousands of dollars for bounties on opposing team's star players, including then-Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner and then-Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre during the 2009-10 playoffs.
Goodell also has suspended Vilma for the entire season. Vilma and three other players who received shorter suspensions all have appealed their punishments.
Vilma denies putting up money to knock any player out of a game.
His lawsuit asks for unspecified monetary damages.
chew dat!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 AM

definitely a bit of a twist.. suing Roger Goodell. I like it... but if it goes to trial the NFL will take a huge PR hit. I get why Vilma is doing this, he wants to see the evidence, he wants his accuser OUTED.. but I think this is a case of biting the hand that feeds you..

Either the press on this is getting skewed or Vilma is changing his story a bit. Initially he claimed he was INNOCENT of all charges, he did nothing, was NOT involved in ANY BOUNTY. Now, per the statements above, he is claiming he never put up money to knock any player out of a game. It could be a game of semantics.. He could claim he never put up money and was simply talking smack before a game..

He could be digging a bigger hole for himself.. some folks have such huge egos that can't simply sit back and take their medicine.. ie. Roger Clemens.. or perhaps Vilma is absolutely 100% innocent and never did anything wrong.. in which case.. this will get very interesting but make no mistake as long as Vilma drags this out, the Saints will be drug right along with it.. through the mud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football