Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I think the current officiating isn't all the great.

The NFL has used replacement players, and now may be considering replacement officials. According to a letter obtained by FOXSports.com, the NFL has asked its officiating-scouting department to begin assisting the league in identifying potential replacements for the 2012 season. The move comes as the league and the NFL Referees Association have reached an impasse in labor negotiations. The agreement between the two sides expired at the end of the 2011 season. "Negotiations are ongoing, and should the two sides reach an agreement in the near future, there will be no need to hire additional officials," wrote Ron Baynes, who is the NFL's director of recruiting officials. "This is a contingency plan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
I'd like to see the current part-time football officials replaced by full-time officials, like MLB umpires.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
I don't get the Full-time vs part time argument.. its not like these guys are doing 5 games a week.. they are doing 1 game a week. What are they suppose to do the rest of the week? Most of these guys have other jobs.. some are lawyers.. do you think they would just quit their current careers to be FULL TIME NFL REFS??? I don't think so..

They are not full time because the NFL does not have full time needs.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Unrelated to this news (hint, hint) here are some notable NFL moments I watched for no good reason (hint.)

2002 NFC Wild Card SF vs NYG - YouTube

Cleveland Browns Bottlegate (Original) - YouTube

NFL Videos: Fair penalty?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't get the Full-time vs part time argument.. its not like these guys are doing 5 games a week.. they are doing 1 game a week. What are they suppose to do the rest of the week? Most of these guys have other jobs.. some are lawyers.. do you think they would just quit their current careers to be FULL TIME NFL REFS??? I don't think so..

They are not full time because the NFL does not have full time needs.
Good point. I think the focus should be on training and physical fitness more on whether they are full time or not.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM

This could be a total disaster. Retired college and arena league officials.

The prospect of replacement officials for the upcoming NFL season became very real Monday after the league locked out existing referees when mediation over contract negotiations stalled.
The officials' contracts expired after the 2011 season, and with talks at an impasse, the NFL has begun the process of finding new officials.

"We did not begin to contact potential replacements until well after the union advised us in March of its intention to take a strike vote and told us of its plan to drag out the negotiations until late summer," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement. "We obviously could not be put in a position of the union calling a strike once the season had begun."

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Unrelated to this news (hint, hint) here are some notable NFL moments I watched for no good reason (hint.)

2002 NFC Wild Card SF vs NYG - YouTube

Cleveland Browns Bottlegate (Original) - YouTube

NFL Videos: Fair penalty?

I was at Bottlegate. While I think Browns fans overreacted, (yeah that is an understatement) that was a bad call on the part of the refs. The ball had already been snapped before they could review the play, therefore; there should have been no replay. I'll never buy this crap that he didn't hear the booth buzzing him!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I was at Bottlegate. While I think Browns fans overreacted, (yeah that is an understatement) that was a bad call on the part of the refs. The ball had already been snapped before they could review the play, therefore; there should have been no replay. I'll never buy this crap that he didn't hear the booth buzzing him!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Nope, I wasn't one of the perpetrators. But it was about as crazy as when Browns fans tore the old Stadium apart in their final game prior to Modell moving the team. Now, in that one I was one of the perpetrators, LOL! Got myself a seat! There was a dude on West 3rd after that game sitting in a row of seats that were yanked out, just chilling out. Ushers were even grabbing seats. One had a seat like myself shoved under his jacket. I was like "what ya got there?"

At any rate, that was a bad call on the part of the refs.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I'd like to see the current part-time football officials replaced by full-time officials, like MLB umpires.
I like this too.

Granted, there is 1 weekend a week where games are played, unlike daily games. However, if they were full time, they would be paid as such and need to devote their full work week to the sport and profession. Instead of showing up on Sunday to ref a game, then going back to their profession, they would study rules, situations, plays, work out, etc. The hope would be by devoting their time to THIS profession, they would get better at it and raise the quality of officiating in the NFL. Which can be rather poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football