Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times

Advertisements

The season is early, but after three games two teams jump out at me as better than the rest.

One is the Seattle Seahawks. They have the best defense in the league along with an offense that can be explosive at times. The other is the Denver Broncos. They have the best offense in the league to go with a defense that can be stifling at times, and has been playing sans it's two best players. These are two strong teams on both sides of the ball and early favorites to make a Super Bowl appearance. Of course it is too early to talk playoffs with only three games in the books. But it is still worth talking about which of these teams is in better shape now and in the coming weeks.

The Seahawks have some tough sledding in their next two games with trips to Houston and Indy in back to back road games. A split would be respectable, but if the Seahawks win both of those games you can color me impressed. (I picked Houston in this week's game.)

The Broncos continue their NFC slate with a home contest with the Eagles followed by a trip to Dallas. Both games promise to give the Broncos defense a workout, but neither the Eagles or Cowboys appear to have the defense to slow this Broncos offense.

Even as a Broncos fan it is hard to say which is better of these two. And I mean no disrespect to any of the other 3-0 teams. But the Seahawks defense has allowed absolutely no nonsense and the Broncos offense has just bludgeoned it's opponents. How these teams have reached 3-0 is why I consider them the top two teams.

I know it's still early, but right now these teams are worth discussing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
We're only heading into week 4. Sure it appears that Denver and Seattle are the 2 top teams, but a lot can change. Injuries will happen and will alter things. Not to mention Denver has yet to face a true test. Their trip to Dallas will be a good measuring stick for how good of a team they are. Another thing worth noting is that as great of a QB Manning is, his playoff record (9-11) is not that great and is something to consider.

Who knows though, a lot can change. I think you can really start talking come week 13 or 14.

I will say this, when Seattle gets Percy Harvin back, they're going to be very tough to beat.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
its early, but those two teams clearly seem to be the best of their divisions.

I'm jealous of Russell Wilson, as he has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Peyton's o-line ain't too shabby, either.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
We're only heading into week 4. Sure it appears that Denver and Seattle are the 2 top teams, but a lot can change. Injuries will happen and will alter things. Not to mention Denver has yet to face a true test. Their trip to Dallas will be a good measuring stick for how good of a team they are. Another thing worth noting is that as great of a QB Manning is, his playoff record (9-11) is not that great and is something to consider.

Who knows though, a lot can change. I think you can really start talking come week 13 or 14.

I will say this, when Seattle gets Percy Harvin back, they're going to be very tough to beat.
You can say the same thing about the Seahawks. "But the Seahawks beat the Niners!" Oh, you mean the 1-2 Niners? The ones who have scored 10 points in two games? Those Niners?

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Ehhh, I wouldn't call the Cowboys a true test. The NFC East is a garbage heap this year and Dallas just happens to be the tallest midget in the division (pardon the political incorrectness).

Old 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
I don't see the Seahawks offense getting any better than this until Percy returns, if he returns. The loss of Okung is going to sting soon.
The Broncos defense will get a boost with the return of Champ Bailey and Von Miller. They're going to be scary on both sides of the ball.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't see the Seahawks offense getting any better than this until Percy returns, if he returns. The loss of Okung is going to sting soon.
The Broncos defense will get a boost with the return of Champ Bailey and Von Miller. They're going to be scary on both sides of the ball.
Champ Bailey is 35. Von Miller is a good player and will be have a bigger impact on the defense than Bailey will.

Percy Harvin is coming back. He's ahead of schedule and no way he will miss out on being on a legitimate SB contender.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The season is early, but after three games two teams jump out at me as better than the rest.

One is the Seattle Seahawks. They have the best defense in the league along with an offense that can be explosive at times. The other is the Denver Broncos. They have the best offense in the league to go with a defense that can be stifling at times, and has been playing sans it's two best players. These are two strong teams on both sides of the ball and early favorites to make a Super Bowl appearance. Of course it is too early to talk playoffs with only three games in the books. But it is still worth talking about which of these teams is in better shape now and in the coming weeks.

The Seahawks have some tough sledding in their next two games with trips to Houston and Indy in back to back road games. A split would be respectable, but if the Seahawks win both of those games you can color me impressed. (I picked Houston in this week's game.)

The Broncos continue their NFC slate with a home contest with the Eagles followed by a trip to Dallas. Both games promise to give the Broncos defense a workout, but neither the Eagles or Cowboys appear to have the defense to slow this Broncos offense.

Even as a Broncos fan it is hard to say which is better of these two. And I mean no disrespect to any of the other 3-0 teams. But the Seahawks defense has allowed absolutely no nonsense and the Broncos offense has just bludgeoned it's opponents. How these teams have reached 3-0 is why I consider them the top two teams.

I know it's still early, but right now these teams are worth discussing.
You are getting way ahead of yourself with this talk....we could've had the same discussion about the 49ers two weeks ago...Are things that slow at work that your posting this...?

Honestly, Hold off this talk to at least week 9 or 10 the earliest.....we haven't even played a quarter of the season yet. Bad karma and you'll jinx yourself....

Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are getting way ahead of yourself with this talk....we could've had the same discussion about the 49ers two weeks ago...Are things that slow at work that your posting this...?

Honestly, Hold off this talk to at least week 9 or 10 the earliest.....we haven't even played a quarter of the season yet. Bad karma and you'll jinx yourself....
Well, yes, it was a slow day at the office, but that is not germane to this discussion.

I readily acknowledged the season is young and a lot can change in the coming weeks. Still, what is the point of having a football season if you are not going to discuss the things that interest you? Why have a football season at all if you are not allowed to enjoy it and have fun? Talking about this stuff is fun to a lot of people. Need proof? There are countless forums for doing just what I've described. "Holding off until week 9 or 10" is nonsense. I don't plan on waiting until the season is halfway over before I enjoy it. I like discussing it week by week.

And this week the two best teams are the Seahawks and Broncos.

PS: This is essentially the exact same thing as a weekly power rankings as seen on just about EVERY sports site. It is just a more detailed discussion on two specific teams. You could do the same thing for the two worst teams in the league. Two most mediocre teams, etc...

Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Sure, they are worth discussing, but if you look at history, the best teams in week 3 almost never pan out to play in the Super Bowl. so sure, its fun right now, but there is no correlation to getting to the big game...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football