Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen any active threads on this topic, so I figure it would be fun to discuss.

Here's my list:

1) Cam Newton

Why He's Overrated: Frontrunner. Mentally weak. Shows up talking when things are going well for him (or his team, rather) but sulks alone on the bench when he's getting smacked around. For all his physical talents, he doesn't seem to possess the intangibles that tend to be universal among truly elite quarterbacks.

Potential for Redemption: He's young still. He might grow up one day, though it is rare indeed for quarterbacks to see such drastic change.

2) Richard Sherman

Why He's Overrated:
One of the league' most visible, boastful and brash players. Listening to him and his fans, one might think they had found Champ Bailey, Deion Sanders and Revis in their primes all rolled into one. Truth be told, Sherman is a good player, but only about half as good as he thinks he is, and a lot of fans mistake swagger for talent. In terms of talent and production, Sherman is more like Asante Samuel and Dre Bly.

Potential for Redemption:
Unlikely. Too amused by his own schtick.

3) Ed Reed

Why He's Overrated: Honestly, it was a little hard to put Reed on this list given that he has had little playing time this year and appears to have lost his starting job. That said, the mystique of his glory days justifies a spot on this list. Reed is another player to benefit from the ESPN era as fans see his highlights and overrate his play. What they usually don't see is the liability players such as Reed create for their team with constant freelancing and refusal to play within the scheme. Several years ago, Ravens defensive coaches were so frustrated with Reed's freelancing that they considered benching him.

Potential for Redemption: None. He's already in the twilight of his career.

4) Ndamukong Suh

Why He's Overrated: There is no debate that he is a very talented player. There's also no debate that he is a very dirty player. Most of the NFL fanbase has caught onto this and recognizes that Suh is largely living off his rookie performance, but he is still overrated on the whole.

Potential for Redemption: Doesn't seem to be an evil guy, so he too might grow up one day. His image will probably always be tarnished though.

5) Eli Manning

Why He's Overrated: It's hard to put a quarterback with two Super Bowl rings on this list, but if there was anyone worthy of it, it would be Eli. The bubble pick was Joe Flacco, but Manning edged him out slightly. Rode excellent defensive performances and some of the luckiest plays in the history of the game to those Super Bowl victories. Has never really reached the elite quarterback level despite having that moniker placed on him as a result of the championships.

Potential for Redemption: Unlikely. Has been a turnover machine this year and is no spring chicken. If the Giants can rebuild their roster, he might have continued postseason success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,731,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I haven't seen any active threads on this topic, so I figure it would be fun to discuss.

Here's my list:

1) Cam Newton

Why He's Overrated: Frontrunner. Mentally weak. Shows up talking when things are going well for him (or his team, rather) but sulks alone on the bench when he's getting smacked around. For all his physical talents, he doesn't seem to possess the intangibles that tend to be universal among truly elite quarterbacks.

Potential for Redemption: He's young still. He might grow up one day, though it is rare indeed for quarterbacks to see such drastic change.
[b]
The guy is only in year 3. He is learning and maturing this year..(I have watched every single Panther game, have you?)

He is going through the natural maturation process like most young QB's go through...Cam and his team are 5-3 and haven't had a winning season like this since '08, but they face some really good opponents coming up...give him till later in the year and see what happens...

Quote:

5) Eli Manning

Why He's Overrated: It's hard to put a quarterback with two Super Bowl rings on this list, but if there was anyone worthy of it, it would be Eli. The bubble pick was Joe Flacco, but Manning edged him out slightly. Rode excellent defensive performances and some of the luckiest plays in the history of the game to those Super Bowl victories. Has never really reached the elite quarterback level despite having that moniker placed on him as a result of the championships.

Potential for Redemption: Unlikely. Has been a turnover machine this year and is no spring chicken. If the Giants can rebuild their roster, he might have continued postseason success.

This comment reaks of recency bias because he's had a bad season...

The guy is a 'winner' and two rings because of how well he played when it counted...His performance in the SB against one of the best teams in history (ie the 2007 patriots) and the stellar run against the Pack and the niners ON THE ROAD....truly amazing....he plays well unlike some other guys who play well during the regular season and somehow stink it up in the playoffs...don't give me that "lucky" nonsense...elite players make their own 'luck'.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Joe Flacco.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The guy is only in year 3. He is learning and maturing this year..(I have watched every single Panther game, have you?)

He is going through the natural maturation process like most young QB's go through...Cam and his team are 5-3 and haven't had a winning season like this since '08, but they face some really good opponents coming up...give him till later in the year and see what happens...

The guy is a 'winner' and two rings because of how well he played when it counted...His performance in the SB against one of the best teams in history (ie the 2007 patriots) and the stellar run against the Pack and the niners ON THE ROAD....truly amazing....he plays well unlike some other guys who play well during the regular season and somehow stink it up in the playoffs...don't give me that "lucky" nonsense...elite players make their own 'luck'.
Since Eli has been in the league, no other QB has thrown more INTs than he has.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I actually do get to see a lot of Panther's football, being in a southern market and all.

The lack of mental toughness has been apparent for his entire football career, it just came out in small spurts because he played for a college powerhouse(s). Guys like him, who have been coddled their entire athletic career, usually don't do well in this department. And it's not like these issues only turned up when he reached the pros.

Quote:

Please. His first Super Bowl ring only happened after Asante Samuel dropped a gimme pick and then Manning decided to heave a pass into the north forty and a receiver made a ridiculous, once in a season type of catch. Oh, and that was after their defense held the greatest offense (albeit it very banged up in that game) of all time to a whopping 14 points. He was better in 2011, but still leaned heavily on the defense.

Manning is not a bad quarterback by any measure, but he is the definition of streaky, has bouts of being a turnover machine and has never made the jump to being a truly elite quarterback. He's not even on my top 8 list.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Since Eli has been in the league, no other QB has thrown more INTs than he has.
And there are guys like David Garrard and Duante Culpepper and Chad Pennington who have higher passing ratings than Eli....

Your point is?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I actually do get to see a lot of Panther's football, being in a southern market and all.

The lack of mental toughness has been apparent for his entire football career, it just came out in small spurts because he played for a college powerhouse(s). Guys like him, who have been coddled their entire athletic career, usually don't do well in this department. And it's not like these issues only turned up when he reached the pros.

Please. His first Super Bowl ring only happened after Asante Samuel dropped a gimme pick and then Manning decided to heave a pass into the north forty and a receiver made a ridiculous, once in a season type of catch. Oh, and that was after their defense held the greatest offense (albeit it very banged up in that game) of all time to a whopping 14 points. He was better in 2011, but still leaned heavily on the defense.

Manning is not a bad quarterback by any measure, but he is the definition of streaky, has bouts of being a turnover machine and has never made the jump to being a truly elite quarterback. He's not even on my top 8 list.
Oh please...You are defending your reasoning with the tired excuse after excuse (ie "if this guy didn't make that lucky catch, blah, blah, blah...)? Seriously?

Those arguments don't hold any water because there are over 100 plays in a game and you don't win or lose on 1 play...its a series of events leading up to certain plays...any knowledgeable fan knows that.

So put back the 'individual' plays back in the vault and give me some valid reasons.... Those "excuses" hold no water.

Bottom line is Eli put the team on his back those 2 years and he has 2 rings to prove it...He Beat a HOF in Brady twice and beat Rodgers AT Green Bay to get there....he also beat an extremely tough 49er team at Candlestick in a hostile environment...

The only other guy in recent history I've seen perform as well when it counts is Flacco and Brady.

And don't go accusing me of being a NY football Giant homer...I hate them being a Jets fan. But I can give credit to money players, and be objective unlike many on here obviously.....lol

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I don't think Eli can be overrated because I don't think he is rated that high. You never see him listed with the top tier QBs. He usually gets lumped in with a very large 2nd or 3rd tier.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
And there are guys like David Garrard and Duante Culpepper and Chad Pennington who have higher passing ratings than Eli....

Your point is?
Culpepper and Pennington were both very good quarterbacks in their day. Before their respective careers were derailed by injuries, I would have taken both of them over Eli Manning. Garrard was also pretty good despite playing on relatively weak Jaguars teams, and as a player is pretty comparable to Eli.

Quote:
Oh please...You are defending your reasoning with the tired excuse after excuse (ie "if this guy didn't make that lucky catch, blah, blah, blah...)? Seriously?

Those arguments don't hold any water because there are over 100 plays in a game and you don't win or lose on 1 play...its a series of events leading up to certain plays...any knowledgeable fan knows that.

So put back the 'individual' plays back in the vault and give me some valid reasons.... Those "excuses" hold no water.

Bottom line is Eli put the team on his back those 2 years and he has 2 rings to prove it...He Beat a HOF in Brady twice and beat Rodgers AT Green Bay to get there....he also beat an extremely tough 49er team at Candlestick in a hostile environment...

The only other guy in recent history I've seen perform as well when it counts is Flacco and Brady.

And don't go accusing me of being a NY football Giant homer...I hate them being a Jets fan. But I can give credit to money players, and be objective unlike many on here obviously.....lol
You pretty much lost credibility when you claimed Eli put those teams on his back. Sorry, it wasn't Eli that held the greatest offense in league history to 14 points, more than three touchdowns below their season average.

I honestly think you're missing the point here. I'll admit that Eli is good, but he is not elite, and he is overrated. I think you're misinterpreting my post to say he's not good.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Culpepper and Pennington were both very good quarterbacks in their day. Before their respective careers were derailed by injuries, I would have taken both of them over Eli Manning. Garrard was also pretty good despite playing on relatively weak Jaguars teams, and as a player is pretty comparable to Eli.

You pretty much lost credibility when you claimed Eli put those teams on his back. Sorry, it wasn't Eli that held the greatest offense in league history to 14 points, more than three touchdowns below their season average.

I honestly think you're missing the point here. I'll admit that Eli is good, but he is not elite, and he is overrated. I think you're misinterpreting my post to say he's not good.
Not at all, I didn't misinterpret at all. I just look at his body of work, provide the details on the elite teams he beat in crunch time, and form my objective opinion.

The guy got the job done and he didn't have a HOF group either year. Not a flash in the pan either...not once but TWICE.

If we agree to disagree that's fine with me...no skin off my nose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football