Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM

10,236 posts, read 16,895,012 times

Advertisements

NFL brain injuries taking lead role in Smith film to be shot in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

sounds like an interesting movie about the life of former steeler center mike webster. you have to wonder what the future of football is when people start coming to grips with the fact that people are being killed on the field. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,874,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
NFL brain injuries taking lead role in Smith film to be shot in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

sounds like an interesting movie about the life of former steeler center mike webster. you have to wonder what the future of football is when people start coming to grips with the fact that people are being killed on the field. thoughts?
Nobody has ever died on the field during an NFL game, and the only person I can think of who has ever died on an NFL practice field was due to heat stroke.

But yeah, I totally expect the nanny statists and faux intellectuals to eventually protest the sport and have it banned for "the public good" even though the stories we've read in the last four years about former football players with health problems still represent only a very small percentage of all former players.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Nobody has ever died on the field during an NFL game, and the only person I can think of who has ever died on an NFL practice field was due to heat stroke.

But yeah, I totally expect the nanny statists and faux intellectuals to eventually protest the sport and have it banned for "the public good" even though the stories we've read in the last four years about former football players with health problems still represent only a very small percentage of all former players.
it's really irrelevant whether they die on the field or later as a result of injuries sustained during football. wuold you also argue that because people who worked with asbestos should only be counted as an asbestos death if they died while working? (perhaps that is a good example since it also includes what should probably be considered an overreaction). one could equally argue that football fans would be expected to react with derision and denial before it finally becomes accepted as fact, the sport viewed as something from a more primitive past. do mental health problems really affect just a small minority of players or is it more widespread?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,266,371 times
Most jobs have risks pman whether it's overall health, injury or even death. Many sporting activities can pose risks like bicycling(stunt riding and mountain biking in particular), skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing, motorcycling, race car driver etc.

The players need to be aware of the potential consequences and let them make their own decisions. The only thing that is at issue here is the NFL apparently tried to diminish the consequences .

Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,266,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
do mental health problems really affect just a small minority of players or is it more widespread?
As far as that goes there is other factors involved here like the widespread use of steroids in the 90's.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,766,278 times
I think we will see a significant decline in the number of kids playing in youth football leagues. We will probably also see a decline in middle school programs, and some small school districts dropping football due to low participation. At the college level, I think some DIII programs and possibly some DII programs will be dropped. I don't see a significant decline in the number of DI schools playing football; and I see no impact on the NFL other than the financial hit they will take in paying the medical expenses of former players.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most jobs have risks pman whether it's overall health, injury or even death. Many sporting activities can pose risks like bicycling(stunt riding and mountain biking in particular), skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing, motorcycling, race car driver etc.
The players need to be aware of the potential consequences and let them make their own decisions. The only thing that is at issue here is the NFL apparently tried to diminish the consequences .
someone explained to me (and they could be wrong but it made sense) that boxing (a sport that has experienced precipitous decline in popularity) has gotten worse for your brain over the years. the adoption of gloves may have prevented career ending hand breaks but it has allowed boxer's to punch harder and thus exacerbating the bounce inside your skull. it stands to reason that if this is true, that the protection football players wear allows them to hit each other harder and thus put their brains at greater risk. I enjoy watching football but I don't want my kids playing it. everything is risky but not everything is worth the risk. those other sports aren't really a good comparison, maybe a sport where you ran straight into rocks as fast as possible but most sports you cite the risk is in an accident, not the play of the sport itself.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think we will see a significant decline in the number of kids playing in youth football leagues. We will probably also see a decline in middle school programs, and some small school districts dropping football due to low participation. At the college level, I think some DIII programs and possibly some DII programs will be dropped. I don't see a significant decline in the number of DI schools playing football; and I see no impact on the NFL other than the financial hit they will take in paying the medical expenses of former players.
seems like a reasonable expectation and really, it is galling that the non-profit multibillion league is trying to get out of its obligations.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,936,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Agree. Parents are thinking twice before allowing a 6 year old to play football.

The solution is obvious. External helmet padding.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:40 AM

14,206 posts, read 22,874,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Agree. Parents are thinking twice before allowing a 6 year old to play football.

The solution is obvious. External helmet padding.
In terms of equipment, properly molded mouth guards and external helmet padding alone will work well. In terms of the actual game, better tackling is an obvious solution, and the same goes for QBs not hanging WRs out to dry in zone coverage. Those four things alone should greatly alleviate the risk of concussions in football.

The sport doesn't have to be banned. The equipment technology must improve, and the fundamentals of the game itself need to be continuously reinforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football