Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

I'm now under the opinion that the Hawks lost this game. They were by far the better team. Even with players hurt, they were within a yard of winning.

I've watched the Hawks play many games over the last three years, and that call was so uncharacteristic, that I now believe it was intentionally called, so Marshawn Lynch would not be the hero. This wasn't what the league wanted. Sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 AM

368 posts, read 396,307 times
What drove me crazy was that with 1:06 to go, the Hawks ran 1st and goal from the 5. Lynch carries for four. OK. The next snap came with 26 seconds to go. Why didn't Bill or somebody on New England's sideline call timeout after the 1st and goal stop? They still had two timeouts and Michaels and Collinsworth both alluded to the fact. It was like the Pats CONCEDED that they were beaten at that point. I could see not calling timeout prior to the two minute warning, but with under a minute, I don't know what they were thinking. As I also remember (correct me if I'm wrong), on 2nd and goal, Wilson hiked the ball with about 6 seconds left on the playclock. I remember it being at least 4, no more than 6. Hello? With most teams in the league, that's one play. With Tom Brady, it's two ten yard gains to Edelman out of bounds. All around, it was a sloppy last minute on both sides in an otherwise terrific game.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
What drove me crazy was that with 1:06 to go, the Hawks ran 1st and goal from the 5. Lynch carries for four. OK. The next snap came with 26 seconds to go. Why didn't Bill or somebody on New England's sideline call timeout after the 1st and goal stop? They still had two timeouts and Michaels and Collinsworth both alluded to the fact. It was like the Pats CONCEDED that they were beaten at that point. I could see not calling timeout prior to the two minute warning, but with under a minute, I don't know what they were thinking. As I also remember (correct me if I'm wrong), on 2nd and goal, Wilson hiked the ball with about 6 seconds left on the playclock. I remember it being at least 4, no more than 6. Hello? With most teams in the league, that's one play. With Tom Brady, it's two ten yard gains to Edelman out of bounds. All around, it was a sloppy last minute on both sides in an otherwise terrific game.
1) Calling time-out would have helped Seattle more. Belichick did not want to give them three minutes to consider and re-consider what play to run, for coaches to pull the players aside and counsel them on exactly what to do and what not to do. He wanted them to have to substitute on the fly and simply have the play - upon which they had to decide in a few seconds - called in.

2) If the Patriots had called time-out, then Seattle would have been able to run the ball three times. Since the Seahawks only had one time out, they could only stop the clock once. So by not calling a time-out, New England essentially assured that if Seattle wanted to use all three downs (and, of course, they did) they would have to run a pass play on either 2nd or 3rd down. The pass play would increase the chances of a turnover.

Essentially, Belichick decided that the odds of holding a rushed Seattle team, or forcing them into a mistake, were better than the odds of being able to quickly get into field goal range after Seattle scored, and then making the field goal, and then winning in overtime.

Nine out of ten coaches would have called time-out. Not calling time-out was counterintuitive... and brilliant.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'm now under the opinion that the Hawks lost this game. They were by far the better team. Even with players hurt, they were within a yard of winning.

I've watched the Hawks play many games over the last three years, and that call was so uncharacteristic, that I now believe it was intentionally called, so Marshawn Lynch would not be the hero. This wasn't what the league wanted. Sucks.

Did you watch the game? The Seahawks didn't look like the better team. The Pats controlled the action for 2.5-3 quarters solidly of that game.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:

I understand that people have opinions, but if you watched the game and know anything about football, it should be obvious that Seattle was not clearly the better team. If they were, New England would not have picked apart their defense on back to back 60 plus yard touchdown drives in the 4th quarter. New England was pretty one dimensional and the Seahawks still had big problems stopping them. The clearly better team would also not have gone 3-10 on third down.

People seem to forget that it was Wilson who threw that pass. People keep harping on the play call, but at the end of the day it was Wilson who threw the pass, not Pete Carroll.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I understand that people have opinions, but if you watched the game and know anything about football, it should be obvious that Seattle was not clearly the better team. If they were, New England would not have picked apart their defense on back to back 60 plus yard touchdown drives in the 4th quarter. New England was pretty one dimensional and the Seahawks still had big problems stopping them. The clearly better team would also not have gone 3-10 on third down.

People seem to forget that it was Wilson who threw that pass. People keep harping on the play call, but at the end of the day it was Wilson who threw the pass, not Pete Carroll.
You're right.

Also, there is so much made about the last 2 and 1 play but keep in mind, the Pats *overcame* a 10 pt defecit in the 4th quarter - that's never been done until SB49. Stop any of those 2 touchdowns and it doesn't come down to one messed up play.

The Patriots WON the game, and yes, Seattle LOST it. So both parts of that statement are true.

I was at the game and to see the entire "12th man" go voiceless was priceless. A pin dropped and you could hear it.

Pats are true champs.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

Yes, and even the team stats weren't in favor for one team or the other, which reflects how close the game was. People always say "just one yard" but if it was truly just that and the Seahawks were a better team they would have gotten that yard. Lets not forget they got to that spot because of a fortunate (bordering on lucky) catch two plays before, which was against Butler.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM

14,326 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Coaches coach and players execute bottom line. Could have gone with the run but Lynch wasn't 100% successful on his 1 yard runs. The Seattle player did not go strong enough for the ball, and Wilson clearly threw it to the wrong side. Pats won.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

I was at the game and to see the entire "12th man" go voiceless was priceless. A pin dropped and you could hear it.

Pats are true champs.
That must have been the most beautiful silence to hear! LMAO.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Quote:

The better team? Their Pats defense shut out the Seahawks offense for the last 20 minutes of the game... And the Pats offense scored on two long drives in the fourth quarter...

As for the second comment, are you seriously suggesting that the league did not want Lynch to score so they told Peter Carroll to run a pass play? And Carroll went along with it even though it would cost his team a super bowl win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football