Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

mariota is quite teachable. i believe he will learn quickly and well everything about the pro game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Much better than Mariota

Winston can work from the pocket, Mariota can't throw, only run.
Wishbone option QBs from the 80s couldn't throw. Mariota can throw and it is clear you have zero eye for skill. If working from the pocket means throwing 18 ints and that means he better than Mariota, then go for it. Plus, Winston is SLOW! Go get him.

Last edited by Acuda; 02-28-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 05:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
oh really? mariota cant throw? seems he did pretty good;

2012 attempts-336 completions-230 yards-2677 passing TDs-32
2013 attempts-386 completions-245 yards-3665 passing TDs-31
2014 attempts-445 completions-304 yards-4454 passing TDs-42

and for those three years he had a grand total of 14 interceptions.

Marcus Mariota Stats - Oregon Ducks - ESPN

for a guy that cant throw he seemed to have done pretty well in the passing game.

In a read/zone read offense where he is throwing to wide open Recievers and only looking at one side of the field

Winston plays in a pro style offense

Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Mariotta like RG3 were never asked to scan the field go through progressions and throw guys open. They were told it the first read Isnt there, tuck it and run. That works great in college

Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
Mariota is a product of Oregon's system.

By saying he can't throw, look at his accuracy from the pocket.

Winston is more NFL ready, Mariota will need work unless Chip Kelly will trade 3-4 1st round picks to get him.

Some people are really great observers .

Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have watched mariota over the last three years, and i have seen what kind of QB he really is and what he is capable of doing. i have also watched him learn from his mistakes, and he learns quickly. he will learn the pro game very quickly, and he will be successful in the pros.

this isnt about the style of play they used in college, its about the players attitude and ability. luck and RGlll is a very similar comparison. everyone thought RGlll would be the next big pro QB because he had the NFL body, he was very mobile, and could throw from the pocket and on the run. and luck was going to be that typical good college QB that ended up as a back up for a few years on some team before he moved to the starting position and had a modestly successful career.

so what happened? RGlll made a splash, but overall has been largely ineffective, as well as being rather delicate. luck on the other hand has done very well with the colts. the reason? he has a different attitude when approaching the game than RGlll does. in this case mariota has the right attitude, not winston.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:24 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Mariota is a product of Oregon's system.

By saying he can't throw, look at his accuracy from the pocket.

Winston is more NFL ready, Mariota will need work unless Chip Kelly will trade 3-4 1st round picks to get him.

Some people are really great observers .
I see you only listen to some of the talking heads. There are numerous pundits that feel Mariota is better. This whole narrative of Mariota only throws to his first option, only to wide open players and cannot check down is just silly. These hacks that cherry pick highlights are just that- lazy hacks.

But, let's just take a look at what the statistics actually are.

Mariota has better stats than Winston in every category including 'in the pocket', as well as downfield and getting blitzed. If you actually watch Oregon's offense you will see plenty of examples of Mariota checking down, throwing into tight windows, and well, yes, escaping the rush and having the speed to pick up the first down.

Inside look: Marcus Mariota vs. Jameis Winston in passing accuracy - New York Jets Blog - ESPN New York

I'm not so sure Winston is all that more NFL ready than Mariota and the simple fact that 18 ints in a single year would give me serious pause. Besides, there were lots of dudes that were supposedly pro-ready- Leinart, Ponder, Quinn all were touted as pro-ready. Frankly, I wouldn't start either Winston or Mariota next year anyways. Both need to sit for a year and develop.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-01-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 12:12 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
The only way Mariota will start this year is if Chip Kelly trades up. If CK gets him, we have a lock for Rookie of the Year. Winston may be gone before week 1, give the kid millions and that means trouble.

I am waiting for next year's class to see what Hackenberg, Cook, and Cardale will do.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
This isnt about the style of play they used in college, its about the players attitude and ability. luck and RGlll is a very similar comparison. everyone thought RGlll would be the next big pro QB because he had the NFL body, he was very mobile, and could throw from the pocket and on the run. and luck was going to be that typical good college QB that ended up as a back up for a few years on some team before he moved to the starting position and had a modestly successful career.
Wait what?

RGIII had the better NFL body?

And Luck was supposed to sit on the bench for a few years?

I see Winston having similar success as Can Newton. With Winston being a better passer of course but not much of a runner.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 PM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Most of the NFL scouting reports put Winston ahead of Mariota with regards to being the player who is more "NFL" ready (this doesn't mean that Mariota won't be a very fine QB in the NFL, just that he might need more development according to scouts). And he might be the guy who has better physical attributes, but he is a very risky pick. If Tampa management feels like they can manage him, if they feel like he is ready to mature, then he might be a fit there. Personally, I feel like character issues make him toxic, and while everyone deserves a second chance, he has been given passes so many times that it seems that he expects that because of what he can do on a football or baseball field, that he can get away with whatever he does, then issue an apology, then lather, rinse, repeat. High risk, high reward candidate.

Lovie Smith might be the kind of coach who could actually handle the risk, he is loved by his players, and I think that the other players would be quick to step in for Lovie, but I would be prepared for issues if my team drafted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football