Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,839,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I recall Vikings running back Jim Lindsey falling on a blocked field goal that rolled into the end zone to beat Detroit as time was winding down during the Vikings dominant run over them in the late 60's, early 70's.

I think the rule may have been since modified to no longer allow a ball to be recovered by the kicking team, on blocked FGs that moves forward or, past the line of scrimmage.
Okay, I was interested so I did some digging. pro-football-reference.com shows that Lindsey had 11 career touchdowns, 6 of which were on the ground and 4 of which were in the air. His only other credited TD was in 1971 and is listed as being on a fumble recovery. So I checked the 1971 box scores for games against the Lions.

Here it is, the final score of the game:
Quote:
Vikings Jim Lindsey 0 yard fumble return (Fred Cox kick)
Detroit Lions at Minnesota Vikings - December 11th, 1971 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

But that doesn't specify that it was on a field goal attempt. So I dug some more and found this article about the game from a California newspaper:
Quote:
With the Vikings leading 22-10, the hapless Lions blocked a Fred Cox field goal attempt following an interception by Wally Hilgenberg. But the ball touched a Detroit player and Lindsey recovered the ball in the end zone for the Vikings’ final touchdown.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/81969798/

So you were right. Amazing what bits of information lie tucked away in our memories for decades, ain't it?

PS - Forty-five years later, the phrase 'hapless Lions' is still apt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I couldn't find it with a quick search, but I recall Vikings running back Jim Lindsey falling on a blocked field goal that rolled into the end zone to beat Detroit as time was winding down during the Vikings dominant run over them in the late 60's, early 70's.

I think the rule may have been since modified to no longer allow a ball to be recovered by the kicking team, on blocked FGs that moves forward or, past the line of scrimmage.

well I got some of the details right

according to the Spokesman-Review (Spokane) it was a 23 yard Viking/Fred Cox FG attempt that was short (6 degree wind-chill that game at the Met) that rolled into the end zone and touched a Lion player and Lindsey fell on for the TD with 3:58 to go while leading 22-10 at the time. I recall afterwards Bud Grant and Lindsey were the only ones interviewed that knew the ball was live.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5400245&hl=en

it did clinch the division for the Vikings and may also be memorable for when Alan Page went bonkers and singlehandedly pushed back the Lions on successive sacks immediately after being called for two successive personal fouls.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Okay, I was interested so I did some digging. pro-football-reference.com shows that Lindsey had 11 career touchdowns, 6 of which were on the ground and 4 of which were in the air. His only other credited TD was in 1971 and is listed as being on a fumble recovery. So I checked the 1971 box scores for games against the Lions.

Here it is, the final score of the game:

Detroit Lions at Minnesota Vikings - December 11th, 1971 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

But that doesn't specify that it was on a field goal attempt. So I dug some more and found this article about the game from a California newspaper:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/81969798/

So you were right. Amazing what bits of information lie tucked away in our memories for decades, ain't it?

PS - Forty-five years later, the phrase 'hapless Lions' is still apt!

my recollection was that the FG was blocked and then rolled to the end zone with a number of Lions in pursuit before Lindsey swooped in late , shoving at least one of the Lions out of the way...wish I could find the video to see how accurately I remember this.

funny to see that Viking QB Cuozzo (where you at Granite Stater?) was 4 for 15 for 21 yds and 2 ints for the game.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 AM

In week 1 of this season, the Cleveland Browns played the Philadelphia Eagles. But the most epic of all the games played between those two clubs was probably their very first meeting.

September 16, 1950

In 1946, the rival All-American Football Conference was formed. The Cleveland Browns dominated throughout its four years of existence, winning the league title every season, going undefeated in 1948, and posting an overall record of 52-4-3. After the 1949 season, a merger agreement was reached with the National Football League. The Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and Baltimore Colts (which folded after one season) joined the older league. But the Browns got no respect. It was widely believed that they had run up gaudy numbers against weak and inferior competition, and that the team would be no match for the skill of the NFL. To showcase the talents of the top teams in each league, the NFL kicked off its 1950 schedule with a Saturday game. The Browns would travel to Philadelphia to open against the two-time defending NFL champion Eagles. To say that there was hype over this game would be an understatement. For the first time in their history, the Eagles drew a home crowd of more than forty thousand – in fact, over 71,000 showed up to watch what was then being called the game of the century. The Eagles were going to put the upstart Browns in their place.

That didn’t happen.

Though the Eagles were without star halfback Steve Van Buren, sidelined with a foot injury, that wasn’t the difference. The Browns thoroughly dominated them, racking up a 35-10 victory. Cleveland ran a complex offense the likes of which the NFL had never seen, featuring an aerial attack for which Philadelphia simply had no answer. After the game, Eagles coach Greasy Neale took a shot at the Browns for relying on much on the passing game. Cleveland Coach Paul Brown would eventually respond to that in his own way, but we’ll leave that for a later discussion.

The Browns had arrived and made a statement. Cleveland would go on to win the NFL Championship in its very first season in the league. They would play in every Championship Game from 1950 through 1955.

Here's a contemporary account of the game:
The New York Times: Hello, Browns, Not So Nice to Know You

The boxscore:
Cleveland Browns at Philadelphia Eagles - September 16th, 1950 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,623,027 times
Quote:
In week 1 of this season, the Cleveland Browns played the Philadelphia Eagles. But the most epic of all the games played between those two clubs was probably their very first meeting.

September 16, 1950

In 1946, the rival All-American Football Conference was formed. The Cleveland Browns dominated throughout its four years of existence, winning the league title every season, going undefeated in 1948, and posting an overall record of 52-4-3. After the 1949 season, a merger agreement was reached with the National Football League. The Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and Baltimore Colts (which folded after one season) joined the older league. But the Browns got no respect. It was widely believed that they had run up gaudy numbers against weak and inferior competition, and that the team would be no match for the skill of the NFL. To showcase the talents of the top teams in each league, the NFL kicked off its 1950 schedule with a Saturday game. The Browns would travel to Philadelphia to open against the two-time defending NFL champion Eagles. To say that there was hype over this game would be an understatement. For the first time in their history, the Eagles drew a home crowd of more than forty thousand – in fact, over 71,000 showed up to watch what was then being called the game of the century. The Eagles were going to put the upstart Browns in their place.

That didn’t happen.

Though the Eagles were without star halfback Steve Van Buren, sidelined with a foot injury, that wasn’t the difference. The Browns thoroughly dominated them, racking up a 35-10 victory. Cleveland ran a complex offense the likes of which the NFL had never seen, featuring an aerial attack for which Philadelphia simply had no answer. After the game, Eagles coach Greasy Neale took a shot at the Browns for relying on much on the passing game. Cleveland Coach Paul Brown would eventually respond to that in his own way, but we’ll leave that for a later discussion.

The Browns had arrived and made a statement. Cleveland would go on to win the NFL Championship in its very first season in the league. They would play in every Championship Game from 1950 through 1955.

Here's a contemporary account of the game:
The New York Times: Hello, Browns, Not So Nice to Know You

The boxscore:
Cleveland Browns at Philadelphia Eagles - September 16th, 1950 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Excellent info. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM

September 22, 1968

In the only regular season NFL game ever played in Alabama, the New York Jets defeated the Boston Patriots 47 to 31.

Back in 1968, the Patriots were still playing at Fenway Park. The AFL schedule for that season required a Boston home game for the third week of the season, but the Red Sox had Fenway booked. And since they owned the park, that was that. So the Patriots needed to fine a place to play.

At the time, the team was seeking a stadium deal - and considering relocation if one did not come through. One of the markets they had their eye on was Birmingham. Also, the opponent was the Jets, who figured to be a good draw with former Crimson Tide quarterback Joe Namath at the helm. So the Patriots dipped their toe into the Birmingham market. 29,000 people showed up to what turned out to be a classic AFL shootout/turnover fest.

New York Jets at Boston Patriots - September 22nd, 1968 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

In the end, the Patriots got themselves a new stadium and a re-branding as 'New England'. And Alabama is still without a franchise in any of the major sports leagues.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:20 AM

September 14, 1950

Starting for the Chicago Cardinals, Jim Hardy threw eight interceptions against the Philadelphia Eagles. Hardy also lost a fumble. Given that, it's probably impressive that the Cardinals kept it as 'close' as they did, losing 45-7. Hardy had thrown three picks by the half. Eventually, he was yanked but the backup QB went down after three plays with an injury, so back in went Hardy. He kept passing the ball. And Eagles kept catching those passes. Hardy quickly recovered, though. The next week he passed for six touchdowns.

The next-most interceptions thrown in a game is seven, which has been accomplished several times, most recently by Ty Detmer for the Lions in a 2001 game against the Browns.

Jim Hardy:

Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 AM

September 29, 1974

There have been a number of occasions in NFL history in which a team did not complete a pass in an entire game. The last of these occurrences was forty-two years ago today.

It was the Jets against the Bills in Buffalo, in heavy rains with a steady wind off Lake Erie gusting up to 40 miles per hour. Understandably, the passing situation was very difficult. The Bills hardly even tried – Joe Ferguson only threw two passes, both of which fell incomplete. But with O.J. Simpson leading the way they rushed 61 times for 223 yards. Not having nearly the ground game as the Bills, the Jets were forced to throw. Joe Namath was 2 of 18 for 33 yards and 3 interceptions. It’s a pretty bad day when you’re completing more passes to the other team than to your own receivers.

And the Bills prevailed, 16-12.

Note:
This was the seventh and most recent time in NFL history that both teams in a game combined to complete as few as two passes in a game. The record is 1, which has happened four times, with 2 occurring on three different occasions. The next most recent occurrence was in 1942, when the Booklyn Dodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers combined to complete a mere one pass.

New York Jets at Buffalo Bills - September 29th, 1974 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM

141 posts, read 123,657 times
Quote:
September 29, 1974

Joe Namath was 2 of 18 for 33 yards and 3 interceptions. It’s a pretty bad day when you’re completing more passes to the other team than to your own receivers.
Of course Namath ended up throwing more interceptions than touchdowns that season. His downward slide was on. The following year(s) 15 TDs 28 picks, 4 TDs 16 picks. Then in 1977 the Rams took a chance with him. I remember his last game as a pro, Monday Night Football-Cosell hyped it like he usually would, Rams vs Bears at Soldier Field. 0 TDs and 4 picks as the Bears squeaked out the win 24-23. As a Rams fan I was happy to have Namath on the team because of his storied career, but it was sad to see the decline of Broadway Joe over his last years. Will always be remembered for guaranteeing a win in the Super Bowl over the highly favored Colts.

(Many blamed his downward decline to his playboy lifestyle in the New York nightlife)

Last edited by GoJohnnyGo; 09-29-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
Of course Namath ended up throwing more interceptions than touchdowns that season. His downward slide was on. The following year(s) 15 TDs 28 picks, 4 TDs 16 picks. Then in 1977 the Rams took a chance with him. I remember his last game as a pro, Monday Night Football-Cosell hyped it like he usually would, Rams vs Bears at Soldier Field. 0 TDs and 4 picks as the Bears squeaked out the win 24-23. As a Rams fan I was happy to have Namath on the team because of his storied career, but it was sad to see the decline of Broadway Joe over his last years. Will always be remembered for guaranteeing a win in the Super Bowl over the highly favored Colts.

(Many blamed his downward decline to his playboy lifestyle in the New York nightlife)
Actually, Namath threw more interceptions than touchdowns in 11 of his 13 seasons.

That wasn't all that unusual during that era. His opponent in that game, Joe Ferguson, also threw more interceptions than touchdowns over the course of his career. So did Ken Stabler. Terry Bradshaw barely threw more touchdowns, with a lifetime ratio of 212-210 - and his career extended into the 1980s and covered several years after rules had made the game more amenable to passers.

It was a different game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football