Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times

Advertisements

Football great Y. A. Tittle has passed, he would've been 91 on 24 Oct 2017.

He played for the Baltimore Colts, S. F. 49'ers and N.Y. Giants.

He started in football with Baltimore in 1948, the year I was born....

The photo in this NY Times article is a powerful image of an old warrior at the twilight of his career.

He was the first professional football player featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.... inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, and his jersey number 14 is retired by the Giants.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Rip

Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,644,765 times
My dad always talked about him, old school players. He wouldn't be happy watching the game these days!

Thanks for sharing, Mike, that picture says it all. Thoughts for his family.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 PM

18,241 posts, read 25,899,930 times
I don't have to clink the link from the Times to see what it is. I know the picture-in fact I have a framed picture of it my mancaveden, along with Slingin' Sammy, Automatic Otto, the Starr, and #19, the guy who wore those high tops.

It was Tittle's last season with the Giants. It was only the season before that he took the NY Giants to the NFL Championship game against the Chicago Bears, and sadly lost his 3rd attempt at a championship.The previous two were against Vince Lombardi and the Packers. And that last season wasn't kind to Tittle as head coach Allie Sherman gutted the defense and sent people to other clubs, guys like Rosey Grier, Sam Huff, and Dick Modzeleski.

Though Tittle started his career with Baltimore, he gained fame with the 49ers and their "Million Dollar Backfield" of John Henry Johnson, Joe "The Jet" Perry, and Hugh McIlhenny, whose nickname was "The King". Certainly a million dollar payroll, well, maybe not a million, but we're talking about 4 HOFers here. It was mystifying how Frisco couldn't win an NFL Championship, but not for a lack of trying. Cleveland, Los Angeles, and Detroit were winning those championships in the 1950's and don't forget that Frisco was one of those teams from the AAFC that merged with the NFL when that league folded.

The Rams and the 49ers were great teams during Tittle's time with Frisco, they developed a great rivalry. In fact, my NFL fact book shows huge attendance figures the times that the 49ers would play the Rams in the 1950's. In 1953 when Frisco came to the LA Coliseum, the attendance was 93,751. In 1957, the attendance for those games was 102,368. 1957 would be the only time that Frisco had a playoff game, which was against the Lions, sadly Tittle would lose to those Lions 28-24. Frisco was then described as a team that was "always a bridesmaid but never a bride."

As John Brodie was starting to develop and with Tittle's time fading, Frisco traded him to the New York Giants as Giant quarterback Charlie Connerly's time had run out. Tittle was a 7 time pro bowler, won the passing crown 3 times. The guy was old school. Tough as nails? Damn right he was. I still remember that 1963 NFL Championship game--Jack Brickhouse on the call, Chris Shenkel on commentary, George Connor, the old ex Chicago Bear on the field doing the interviews.

He was never an official NFL champion but I include Tittle with Sammy Baugh, Jim Brown, Unitas, Otto Graham, Dick "Night Train" Lane, Jim Taylor, Chuck Bednarik, Raymond Berry, Sam Huff, Rosie Greer, Steve Van Buren, Leo Nomellini, Norm Van Brocklin, and others that made the NFL what it later became. The BEST game.

RIP, Yelberton Abraham! Your contributions to the NFL are well noted in Canton.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-11-2017 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 07:59 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
I still have a few of his football cards. I was so excited when I opened a pack and he was in there.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Football great Y. A. Tittle has passed, he would've been 91 on 24 Oct 2017.

He played for the Baltimore Colts, S. F. 49'ers and N.Y. Giants.

He started in football with Baltimore in 1948, the year I was born....

The photo in this NY Times article is a powerful image of an old warrior at the twilight of his career.

He was the first professional football player featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.... inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, and his jersey number 14 is retired by the Giants.
Yep, it is the picture I thought it would be...granted, I thought for sure I had seen the picture from another angle where he was facing the opposite direction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football