Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most deserving of an NFL team?
St. Louis 8 18.18%
San Diego 9 20.45%
Salt Lake City 1 2.27%
Portland 2 4.55%
Omaha 3 6.82%
Oklahoma City 2 4.55%
Austin 3 6.82%
San Antonio 9 20.45%
Toronto 9 20.45%
London 2 4.55%
Mexico City 2 4.55%
Vancouver 1 2.27%
Montreal 3 6.82%
Hampton Roads 0 0%
Louisville 1 2.27%
Memphis 2 4.55%
Birmingham 6 13.64%
Oakland (after Raiders leave) 1 2.27%
Sacramento 1 2.27%
Orlando 1 2.27%
Las Vegas 3 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Where's the "none of the above" option? The league is fine with 32 teams and I just hate it when teams move cities. Leave it alone.
Leave it alone? Why? Businesses do either one of two things. They grow or they die. The NFL is no different. My particular preference is to have an NFL franchise in San Antonio eventually. SA is more than capable of supporting a team. What I disagree with is giving cities a second or third chance to support a team after they have failed previously to do so. Cities who have never enjoyed having an NFL franchise in their midst should be tops on the list of who gets an NFL franchise first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Leave it alone? Why? Businesses do either one of two things. They grow or they die. The NFL is no different. My particular preference is to have an NFL franchise in San Antonio eventually. SA is more than capable of supporting a team. What I disagree with is giving cities a second or third chance to support a team after they have failed previously to do so. Cities who have never enjoyed having an NFL franchise in their midst should be tops on the list of who gets an NFL franchise first.
There are a lot of ways the NFL can "grow" without adding franchises. We've seen that with the addition of Thursday Night Football, attempts at partnering with streaming services, and playing games in London. All of these things are aimed at generating revenue streams, which is how the NFL can "grow" the business.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are a lot of ways the NFL can "grow" without adding franchises. We've seen that with the addition of Thursday Night Football, attempts at partnering with streaming services, and playing games in London. All of these things are aimed at generating revenue streams, which is how the NFL can "grow" the business.
You missed the point entirely. There are still a few cities in this country without NFL teams that could support a franchise and San Antonio is one of them. Also, where is it carved in stone that the NFL can only have 32 teams? As far as revenue, placing a team in a region with over 4.2 million people would not be a bad financial move for the league. The television revenue alone would be enormous in a market the size of SA-Austin. There is as of today no good reason for San Antonio to be without an NFL franchise. I mean if little Las Vegas can get a team surely San Antonio can be awarded one.

In my view politics and greed are the real reasons SA does not have an NFL team. Both the Cowboys owner, Jerry Jones, and the owner of the Texans Bob McNair, have a vested interest in keeping the NFL out of South Texas. A third franchise in Texas would represent a serious financial threat to these two owners and they know that. These owners have actively worked within league channels to prevent any franchise relocation to San Antonio. And I do not suspect that these two owners will be supporting an expansion into San Antonio anytime soon either. The NFL likes money however. and not having a team in the SA-ATX market is short-sighted and just stupid at this point.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
You missed the point entirely.
I did not miss the point. You said businesses grow or die, and I said the NFL has ways of "growing" that do not involve adding additional teams. Just because I refuted your point, does not mean I missed your point.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
The NFL isn't going to expand anytime soon if at all!!

Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM

160 posts, read 104,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
No it's probably not. Relocation would likely happen before expansion. For all the reasons listed about why San Antonio" deserves" a team, it would be in my estimation, too many obstacles to overcome. While it may upset the pro San Antonio boosters here, the reality is that nobody is encroaching on Jerry Jones territory anytime soon. He may only be one owner, but his influence goes far beyond probably any other owner in the league. San Antonio hosting a team would pretty much be another Cowboys home game when they played there. That region has supported the Cowboys for many decades, and people I know who are Cowboy fans are unwavering in thier support of that team.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
No it's probably not. Relocation would likely happen before expansion. For all the reasons listed about why San Antonio" deserves" a team, it would be in my estimation, too many obstacles to overcome. While it may upset the pro San Antonio boosters here, the reality is that nobody is encroaching on Jerry Jones territory anytime soon. He may only be one owner, but his influence goes far beyond probably any other owner in the league. San Antonio hosting a team would pretty much be another Cowboys home game when they played there. That region has supported the Cowboys for many decades, and people I know who are Cowboy fans are unwavering in thier support of that team.
I referred to this situation in my post above. True there are many dc fans in Texas. But this popularity should not preclude other big cities within the state from having an NFL team. Namely San Antonio. Greed is all that drives Jones. But, one day that sob will croak. And hopefully sooner rather than later. This will be the time that the NFL will be allowed to award a franchise to San Antonio. Moreover, you have the wrong impression about pro football fans here in Texas. Not everyone loves and supports either the dc or the ht here. I was born and raised in SA and absolutely loathe and despise the two NFL teams in my state. I did live in Northern Virginia before for a time and while there became a great Redskin fan.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Never say never. The Colts were never supposed to move to Indianapolis but they did. The Rams, Chargers, Raiders, Browns, Oilers and Cardinals etc were never expected to move anywhere else but they all did. My point is that nothing is more inevitable than change. Nothing stays the same. This includes a future league expansion. So the old guard that controls the current NFL will one day fade into nothingness including the hated Jerry Jones. A new post-Goodell league is what we need and will get one day. At that point you likely won't see stupid, ill thought out ideas like placing two franchises in Los Angeles and one in that lucky little desert burg known as Las Vegas anymore. One can hope.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
If the NFL is going to expand beyond 32, the most likely option is going to be somewhere international.

In this case, it won't be because someone "deserves" a team, it will be because the league wants to expand its footprint.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What about Montgomery, AL area vs Birmingham?

You're about the same distance from Atlanta, just a touch further away.. But probably could pull fans from Birmingham and Mobile areas and even areas like Pensacola, FL and Meridian, MS.

Montgomery just seems a little more central.

Think that was part of the thought behind Nashville for the Titans over Memphis.
I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

There's absolutely no way Montgomery can support major-league sports. Just no way.

Same with Birmingham, I was there last week. Decent city in it's own right but no way can it support major league sports.

I get why people bring Birmingham up, considering the whole state being enthralled with college football but NFL is not happening, they won't give the state of Alabama the time of day.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 09-27-2018 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football