Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Super Bowl LIV: Who's Your Pick to Win?
San Francisco 49ers 27 46.55%
Kansas City Chiefs 31 53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 PM

1,149 posts, read 453,354 times

Advertisements

Andy Reid cemented his trip to Canton one day. Yes, some clock management issues have plagued him thru the years. But an excellent coach nonetheless. A more modern day Jim Calhoun, who once and for all, put his critics to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 PM

50,459 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
It was 4th down. If you take a knee San Fran gets the ball back and I know your thinking "they aren't scoring 11 points in 5 seconds" which is probably true, but why risk that chance?? If you want to talk about running up the score, than Williams should've taken the knee after he got the first down and not gotten a touchdown. If anything it probably decreased the Chiefs chances of winning believe it or not, and I was actually screaming at my TV for him to go down. You take a knee at 1:15, San Fran has already used 1 timeout (they are probably using their second there) so they'd have 1 timeout left. Let's say Shanahan uses the 3rd timeout after the first down play and it last 2 seconds that's 1:13. Now let's say the 2nd & 3rd down play each take 2 seconds, and the Chiefs use 39 seconds on the 2nd & 3rd down play. It would be impossible for the Niners to get the ball back in that case if he takes a knee.

Since he doesn't take the knee, the Niners have about 1:10 with 2 timeouts left to get a touchdown, 2 point conversion, onside kick and a field goal. They would've needed a miracle anyways, but at least they still would've had a chance.
Congrats to the chiefs but that's gonna be talked about for a while.

Now let's get real. It would be impossible to win a game down 11 in 5 seconds. Even a TD pass takes at least 3 and an onside kick at least 3 if successful. We'll never see such a thing.

There was no chance. Simple math for anyone that knows the game. He should have just ran backwards and took a safety running out the clock if they were "that" worried. There were a lot of non fans that watch this once a year and that wasn't the best option.

I just thought it odd to toss a bomb anywhere near a receiver on the last play. Your franchise QB could have been looking at the second season ending surgery with such a move.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:37 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,626,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Congrats to the chiefs but that's gonna be talked about for a while.

Now let's get real. It would be impossible to win a game down 11 in 5 seconds. Even a TD pass takes at least 3 and an onside kick at least 3 if successful. We'll never see such a thing.

There was no chance. Simple math for anyone that knows the game. He should have just ran backwards and took a safety running out the clock if they were "that" worried. There were a lot of non fans that watch this once a year and that wasn't the best option.

I just thought it odd to toss a bomb anywhere near a receiver on the last play. Your franchise QB could have been looking at the second season ending surgery with such a move.

Just stop before you dig your self an even deeper hole. That's going to be talked about for a while? I guarantee you I won't hear a single sports talk show host or analyst talk about it tomorrow. It's a giant nothing burger.

I love these posters who are never around the entire NFL season and then suddenly post on the Pro Football sub forum as if they are experts on game etiquette and play calling.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:45 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,776,820 times
That last toss was nothing more than a half-court shot at the buzzer.
With football, you can’t always end with an exciting play. Taking a knee would have been a dull ending to an otherwise entertaining game.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Just stop before you dig your self an even deeper hole. That's going to be talked about for a while? I guarantee you I won't hear a single sports talk show host or analyst talk about it tomorrow. It's a giant nothing burger.

I love these posters who are never around the entire NFL season and then suddenly post on the Pro Football sub forum as if they are experts on game etiquette and play calling.
You think posting on the sub forum makes you a fan or some type of expert? The average "fan" probably started drinking today about 8 am. I post on here plenty but I didn't realize your post count mattered. My opinion counts about as much as yours buddy. I also think there were some bad calls on both sides beside some bad play calls.

I played the game at a college level. Did I excel? No. I got hurt the first year (career ending shoulder)before the first regular season game. Does that make me an expert no. At least I can admit that. Can you? Some can't handle criticism even if positive.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-02-2020 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
That last toss was nothing more than a half-court shot at the buzzer.
With football, you can’t always end with an exciting play. Taking a knee would have been a dull ending to an otherwise entertaining game.
The most honest reply so far.

But, why by the winning team up by 11 with seconds left.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:53 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,259,623 times
Good for Andy Reid.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Good for Andy Reid.
The guy was the backbone of so many teams that came up short. Good for him. He so deserves this. What a load off his shoulders.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 PM

5,187 posts, read 3,116,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The most honest reply so far.

But, why by the winning team up by 11 with seconds left.
Because it’s football, not chess. I thought KC played a magnificent game.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,555,217 times
Patrick setting himself up to be one of the greats if he can stay healthy and hopefully Reid sticks around a few more years. They have a good team. If they can stay together and be healthy, a good chance to repeat.

Patrick is young and so poise. Also, throws with such a great touch....sounds like another Tom Brady in the making!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football