Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 02:59 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

The premiere episode of Frontline was about the NFL's links to gambling. A mafiosi claims games in the late 60's and early 70's were rigged with players, refs and coaches taking money to impact the spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 05:34 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57 View Post
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think GPS is that accurate. OTOH, I'm sure they have technology that could do what you're proposing just the same. Maybe something similar to one or more range finders triangulating on the football from different places on the sidelines, possibly.
I remember taking a friend to a lawyer's office using a GPS. It took us to a city park, 3 miles from the office. Then it would tell us to turn right on every block.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:36 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
The NFL refs are not rigging the game. Having 7 refs on the field plus booth review with multiple HD cameras would make very difficult for one ref to try and rig a game. There are a couple problems with the refs that account for the mistakes.

First, they are mostly too old for the speed of the game. The positive side of the age is that they are highly experienced. The game would be better with younger refs. The NHL manages to have refs close in age to the players.

Second, for most of the refs, this is a second, part time job. Having a full time job and then flying off to what could be the other side of the country or even England for a weekend, studying the teams, then flying home for work on Monday means these refs are not well rested and not well focused. This leads me to my biggest issue:

Why aren't the NFL refs full time so they do not need other jobs? Having full time refs would eliminate the weekend, part time nonsense that the NFL deals with today.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:40 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The premiere episode of Frontline was about the NFL's links to gambling. A mafiosi claims games in the late 60's and early 70's were rigged with players, refs and coaches taking money to impact the spread.
See post no 10.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:28 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The NFL refs are not rigging the game. Having 7 refs on the field plus booth review with multiple HD cameras would make very difficult for one ref to try and rig a game. There are a couple problems with the refs that account for the mistakes.

First, they are mostly too old for the speed of the game. The positive side of the age is that they are highly experienced. The game would be better with younger refs. The NHL manages to have refs close in age to the players.

Second, for most of the refs, this is a second, part time job. Having a full time job and then flying off to what could be the other side of the country or even England for a weekend, studying the teams, then flying home for work on Monday means these refs are not well rested and not well focused. This leads me to my biggest issue:

Why aren't the NFL refs full time so they do not need other jobs? Having full time refs would eliminate the weekend, part time nonsense that the NFL deals with today.
Because they would only be working 16 days a year and they are not the attraction

Old 02-19-2021, 09:04 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Need? Most of them are already rich from their day jobs.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:15 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
No doubt in mind some games are rigged. Best evidence is the famous Rams v Saints no interference interference. But there are plenty of other examples. That, the length of the games a nd constant commercials is why I dont watch much.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:59 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Are Refs in the NFL biased?

With greedy and needy human beings being involved, there will always BE a possibility of it happenning, NO DOUBT in me head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football