Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:15 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times

Advertisements

Greetings fans.
My son and I were noticing how it is May already, and NO CFL. I guess Southpark can have a field day with what is happening in the Canadian Football league (or the Canadians have picked up habits from MLB) But for whatever reason, CANADA IS ON STRIKE. Well, not all of Canada, but the football we wanted to watch is.

That being said, it is only a little over 5 months to Halloween, and once again, it is necessary to get the props and displays built NOW so that we will be ready by then.
And just like Halloween, the NFL Season will be upon us before we know it.

Which is why, as I do every year, for your entertainment and to break the football-less period we are currently experiencing, I must go ahead and put together some way too early unofficial don't hold me to this picks for the upcoming season.
While we still have a few unsigned free agents and a few potential changes in the works, a few things are certain. One, the Texicans will not go from worst to first, in fact, with Lovie Smith at the helm, they may go to the worst right away.
Second Fat Mike McCarthy will show how Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore are the true coaches of that team as he eats churros on the sidelines and misses a critical time out.

Third, the Cat will keep you entertained until the games start. And While things can always change before opening day kickoff,

SO without further delay, from the home office in sub-urban Florida, here are the Cats too early unofficial predictions for the NFL Season

AFC EAST
1 BILL's BUFFALOES
Predicted Finish First Playoff Chances Very High The Buffaloes have done a lot of things right. Focusing on a strong, athletic QB, building a supporting cast of solid players, and sticking with a game plan long term have brought the team to where they are now. The business model is solid, the only concern is the turnover of team players from one season to the next. However, this should be the year of the Bison to get back and try to fix that perfect Super bowl record.

2 NEW ENGLAND EVIL PATRIOTS Never ever count Belichick out. He is already up to something, not sure if it is fair or not, but he seems to have assembled the team he wants and now we will sit back and watch as they play like pros. This team will likely see the playoffs, as a wildcard, and while they may not have a GOAT QB, they have a good one. And the coaching is going to make certain of that.

3 NEW YORK LAGUARDIA JETS Playoff chances Smsh OK This team has started building some talent, BUT hold your jets While the city spent 3 Billion dollars to upgrade LaGuardia field and make it not like a third work country (ie not like DFW is now) the NY Jets spent some 3 Billion Dollars to get the talent they want onto the team, but like Everything in NY, things cost too much, trends change seasonally, and let's face it, the Jets STILL do not have a long term plan in place. SO While they will be improved, they are still the Jets and still run like a New York Union, which translates to A Bad System will be a Good Person any day.

4 MY MIAMI DOLPHINS I am entertained by the online fans and sportswriters who somehow think a new coach and a new system will make up for the fact that 50% of the starters on this team would not be good enough to start anywhere except maybe the USFL and somehow, the team is going to win the division. Well, we see this every few years in Miami...new coach, new system, falls apart, no plan, scratch it, try something else. This franchise will go nowhere until Ross and Grier leave. People don't leave Bad Jobs, they leave bad bosses, and the success and failure of this franchise can be pinned to one or both of those two. Chance of playoffs, well, not good. OH...and the O-Line still looks like swiss cheese, and the QB is not NFL caliber in leadership or skill set, and Teddy Water-Under-the-Bridge may well be the starter by week 6.

AND NORTH
BALTIMORE RAVENS A worst to first, which would have been a first last year had they not had 25 players on IR by the end of the season. IF and that is a big if IF they can stay healthy, the talent is there, so is the system. Playoff Chances good.

CINCINATTI BENGALS While I am not a big fan of this team, it was nice to see cats in the Super bowl. A repeat is not likely because One, teams will take them more seriously now, and Two, the team that loses the Super Bowl seems to fall apart the next year. While they did lose starting TE Uzomah (Gesundheit) to LaGuardia, they did beef up the OLine which was the weakest point of the team and will see playoffs again.

CLEVELAND BROWNS IF Watson stays and plays how will this affect the commercials with Baker Mayfield at his stadium home? Will he wander into the training room and find Watson getting a massage? YIKES! Things can take a Cleveland Turn for the worst here, and I am not too high on this set up. Playoff Chances, Toss Up

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
The Steelers showed their faith in perennial disappointment Trubisky by drafting a local hero to become the next Bradshaw. Thing is, it is a rebuild in Steel City, and it will be a longer one. But hope is in the future and the fans are faithful, so let's hope for a good season. Playoff Chances Slim.

AFC SOUTH
1 INDIANAPOLICS COLTS This is a hard division to pick , especially with the talent on the Jaguars Roster and Remember, the Titans are the best team. But I think the League shifts here and the Colts get a playoff birth, then one and done.

2 Remember the TENNESSEE TITANS Remember the Titans are another solidly coached, well stocked team that can get to the playoffs and not much farther.

3 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS The Jags have some concerns. They showed ignorance last year by even hiring Urban Meyer to be the coach. At least they got someone new. They also hired a QB Coached who has worked with Peyton Manning and Phil Rivers so Lawrence will finally have someone to coach him into the NFL. And that was the concern from the beginning, that if he did not have proper coaching his career would be short and his future would be backing up James Winston on the New Orleans Saints. The team has a plethora of young talent, and will be good soon enough. WITH the right coaching. No playoffs this year, but next year, probably so.

4 HOUSTON TEXICANS Every year, I pick someone to come in last place and they come in first. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE. IN fact, it will not happen anytime in the next 6 years unless Lovie Smith is fired before then. Hiring Lovie Smith is like throwing in the towel, saying "Well, someone has to do it but we could not lure Edwards or Lewis out of the college ranks so here...we have no desire or plan to win" Like hiring my kids to clean the house....it cannot be done.

AFC WEST
1 HOMELESS CHARGERS This one concerns me. Not that the Chargers will somehow win, but because I despise everything about them. But at the risk of angering all 36 members of their fan base (including those in Europe ) I will leave it at the fact that they drafted the right QB at some point.

2 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS They are still a team who knows how to win, Andy Reid will see to that, and All will be ok in KC. By week 10, Tyreek Hill will wish he were back there playing too.

3 LAS VEGAS RAIDERS While they did get one or two new players, they lost a lot more and will win by having a chip on their shoulders and something to prove.

4 DENVER BRONCOS Another bottom 10 favorite team, Russell Wilson who excelled in Pete Carroll's system will not fare as well outside of that operation, and the team lacks the supporting cast, or coaching to go the distance. Even with Wilson.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

So let me just make this list. My Favorite Teams are: MY FINZ, THE STEELERS, THE RAIDERS, THE PACKERS, THE CHEFS, THE PESKY RED BIRDS, Seahawks (As long as Pete Carroll works there) , and the SAINTS. The LIONS are on the waitlist and their application is being reviewed.

MY LEAST FAVORITES (in no particular order) : DA BEARS, Cowboys, Chargers, Texicans , Broncos, Bill's Buffaloes (rivals) The EVIL PATRIOTS and the Succaneers.

================================================== =========

This year, Monday Night Football opens with a big Super Bowl Rematch between the Broncos and the Seahawks Week 7 has a bears Patriots Super Bowl Rematch on MNF as well, but I am looking forward to the Colts vs Cowboys rematch of the Super Bowl although I looked at ticket prices and they are way too steep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NFC EAST

1 DALLAS COWBOYS. What is going to happen is that Dan Quinn's defense will win games. Kellen Moore will have a challenge on a depleted offense, and Joe Philbin is still the Offensive Line coach. his philosophy is "If you can't beat em, then hold em and maybe the ref won't see it" It will be an adventure plugging in a rookie who had 15 holding penalties his last year of college in as a potential starter and having him coached by this guy. Along with League leader (in penalties at center) Tyler BadArse, look for many plays to be called back on offense. At the end of the one and done playoffs, Fat Mike McCarthy gets fired (he gets hired to coach the concessions at Arizona State) and Sean Peyton comes in as the new head coach for 2023.

2 WASHINGTON REDSKINS I think it would be disrespectful to slight Riverboat Ron in this pick, he has talent and he has been putting together a system which will likely find ways to win games. I think the Redskins will play a good game, maybe even make the playoffs.

3 Philadelphia EAGLES I could go any position 1-3 with this team, because they have so much young talent on tap. Thing they lack is experience, but that will be a factor that helps this team win the NFC EAST soon enough. They sure did a good job though, from now at least, picking solid talent.

4 NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS. Again, I do not expect a worst to first here. Not with the holes this team has on the roster and the fact that the expected amount of improvement that a team should have from week one to week 17 just did not shine through in New York City.

NFC NORTH
1 GREEN BAY ACME PACKERS Some are picking the Vikings here already, but I do not think that Aaron Rogers will allow that. They may not be the powerhouse team that beat the Raiders and Chiefs in the first two Super Bowls The team is still solid, and Susan's Packers should Still take it to the top.

2 MINNESOTA VIKINGS I don't think they are TAHT Good, I mean they will not have any depth on the bench and for certain, something is not hopeful when a young new coach comes in and has to rebuild. At least he has enough pieces to start.

3 DETROIT ROCK CITY LIONS I would love to see the team move on up to 2nd, and the team is headed in the right direction. Point is, if the team continues to develop the talent they have, and build enough to fill in up front, like they are doing so far, as well as giving Goff a deep threat, then the team will win and they will be a lot more fun to watch.

4 CHICAGO BEARS While I would be happy to see the bears finish last, I would not want them to grab a decent QB out of the many in next years draft. While the Texicans will have a lock on the number one pick, the bears could still squeak in to number two and start looking better in the future.

NFC SOUTH
1 TAMPA BAY SUCCANEERS Brady oh Brady will you just go away? Well, ticket sales and prices are through the roof, the fans think another Lombardo Trophy is coming to Tampa (the Stanley Cup too) and the media will NOT SHUT UP! The fact is, Tampa sports are centered around fair weather media, and when the Succaneers win, that is all we hear about. When they lose, then the media returns to normalcy. Thankfully I have Sirius XM radio ! On the other hand, cats like myself have come to accept that as long as there is a stash of Geritol in the locker room, Tom Brady will still play.

2 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS Well, Again, not a lot of competition in the division unless Brady's arthritis finally catches up with him. The Saints have the talent, and depth, but coaching and a few personnel changes may impact the momentum.

3 ATLANTA FALCONS Again, a long rebuild is in the process and in the works. The team will entertain some, but don't expect any miracles.

4 CAROLINA PANTHERS Again, a rebuild seems to be taking forever and DO NOT expect this to be a first lace team.

NFC WEST

1 LOS ANGELES RAMS The Defending Champs are not done yet, even with out a high profile LB the team still has options, Matt Stafford and a host of talent throughout the roster. above all else, the coach and the players click, making the team play as a unit on the field. That is hard to beat.

2 SAN FRISCO 49ERS Again, changes in coaching may have an impact on the offense which has talent and depth, so expect the team to move seamlessly into second place behind the Rams

3 ARIZONA CARDINALS The PESKY RED BIRDS probably did not do enough in free agency or draft to address areas of concern where injuries took a toll last year. Then, free agency came along, and many starters left....not enough stayed and the draft was not adequate to address the gaps. While Murray and Co are still fun to watch, a Playoff is a longshot.

4 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS There is talk about Baker Mayfield going to play in Seattle and having a coach like Pete Carroll to work with him would be a match. Sadly though, I see Pete Carroll retiring to old age soon, and the team not making the playoffs BUT being a pest to teams in the division.

+++++++++++++++well, there you have it++++++++++++++++

I'll make official picks in August, until then, entertain yourselves and each other with the Forum. And a disclaimer, do not bet your Tax Credits or Crypto Change on anything I say. This is just for fun.

Anyway, my brother sears it is predetermined (ie FIXED, RIGGED, STAGED) and that Vince McMahon is secretly helping Roger Goodell with ways to market the product to a wider range of fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:03 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Great post, King Cat, always enjoy these! I agree with your takes, especially Packers, of course.

I wish I saved a post I saw from a Vikes beat guy, it was funny. A kind of tongue in cheek about all the years the Vikings are said to be division leaders, this is their year. For the record, I don't think it is.

Too much is being made of Packers WR group, Adams leaving. How they didn't go after a true #1 vet WR in FA, media thinks they know best.

Like the comment about Philbin and the O line! Packers way they teach the O line has been criticized for years, all team fans talk about the holding. I find it amusing. I am not surprised Philbin is with McCarthy.

Saints will be an interesting team to watch this year, but oh, those, Buccaneers, the Brady Bunch!

Thanks again for this post!

Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
just some notes on Cat's picks..

Jags.. While I agree, no playoffs.. I think we're TALKING about them making the playoffs up until the final week. I think it'll be very close. We are still on the expanded playoffs, right? 3 WC's? If so.. Yeah, they're alive up until week 17 or 18.

The woes of being a team in the west. Be it AFC or NFC. I would NOT be surprised in the least for all 3 WC teams to come from the AFC West. As for the NFC West.. Oh, poor Seattle. But, I could see SF making a play to topple the Rams.. Especially if the Rams have a bit of a Super Bowl Hangover.

The NFC South should take over the reigns of 'worst division in football' from the NFC East this year. Tampa might clinch that by week 12.

The NFC East, short of the Giants.. I think you can reach into a bag and pick the other three teams for 1st through 3rd. Every team you can say has the talent to win the division. You can also pick reasons for all three NOT to win. Dallas is Dallas and they're due for another random down season. Washington is Washington and Philly.. Well, still has something of a question at QB. I have no doubt Hurts is good enough to get them to the playoffs.. Not sure how far he can get them. Right now, I see him as an upgraded Jason Campbell. Solid, but not spectacular.

The Vikings are that good. The question is.. Can they play that good? Seems they never can.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:52 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jags.. While I agree, no playoffs.. I think we're TALKING about them making the playoffs up until the final week. I think it'll be very close. We are still on the expanded playoffs, right? 3 WC's? If so.. Yeah, they're alive up until week 17 or 18.
I think this is my bold prediction for 2022. The Jags WILL make the playoffs this year. I'm a Colts fan, and the Jags are the team scaring me the most this year in the division. Maybe it is the hangover from how last season ended.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think this is my bold prediction for 2022. The Jags WILL make the playoffs this year. I'm a Colts fan, and the Jags are the team scaring me the most this year in the division. Maybe it is the hangover from how last season ended.

I won't say you're wrong.. I think they need another year. I see a 7-10 or 8-9 record.. Respectable, but not-quite a winning record.

Main reason, they have a HORRID schedule. Just look at the end of October into November

10/30 - Broncos
11/6 - Raiders
11/13 - @ Chiefs
11/20 - Bye
11/27 - Ravens

Can it get any worse than that? The only advantage is that three of them are home games. But.. Jacksonville doesn't have a huge home field advantage.

That's just soul crushing there.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:34 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
My gut tells me the Patriots finish 4th in the division.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

That's a bold statement.

While a sophomore slump is very common, and I expect a little bit of regression from Mac Jones.. I don't particularly see the other teams in the division improving that much.

Buffalo, all things being equal, wins it. No question. Now, Josh Allen gets hurt.. They turn to Barkley or Keenum.. All bets are off.

Miami has the best shot of upending the Pats for the second spot, which.. I agree with Cat in them finishing second, most likely. The question is going to be health and further development for Tua. I pretty much rank him alongside Hurts as "A slightly upgraded Jason Campbell"

Jets.. Man, they're the Jets. Yes, I know.. I'll just repeat.. They're the Jets.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:39 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
As much as you and I would BOTH Love to see that, I think the Jets and MY FINZ will compete for that spot.
The reasons in New York/LaGuardia centers around a half talented but incomplete roster and a system that is designed by fate to self implode by week 12.
The situation in Miami revolves around ineptitude in the front office, a new coach and a new system , and still, I have to say it, the worst offensive line. Getting two free agents on the O-Line will not fix things. The center is rated a 60 at best , and they passed on an upgrade in both the draft and the free agency. SO best of luck , those new speedy receivers won't be able to get open before Tua hits the ground due to lack of blocking. same old same old, which continues at least until Ross and Grier pack up and leave.

Mean Wile, in Boh-Stun, Belicheat has his players he wants and knows how to put together a system that will not beat your Buffaloes, but will certainly finish ahead of the other two. easily.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:39 PM

Interesting question.. Who gets #1 overall in 2023? So, who is the WORST team in the league?

My top contenders.. Carolina, Atlanta and Pittsburgh

With a chance for New Orleans, Seattle, Houston and the Giants to jump down to take it.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Atlanta is an underrated #1 pick contender. That's who I'd probably pick. Who's actually gonna be the QB??

The Steelers might be bad, but I don't think they are #1 pick bad. The Steelers have finished under .500 once in the last 22 seasons, none under Tomlin, so I'd have to see them actually finish under .500 before I pick them in the #1 sweepstakes.

I think Carolina is a contender, but then again they have Atlanta twice, and 2 games against what might not be a very good Saints team so they may be out.

I'd pick the Jets over both the Steelers and Panthers. That division ain;t a pushover and the out of division opponents are the AFC North, NFC North, Jaguars and @ Broncos and @ Seahawks. That's not going to be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football