Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 08:40 AM

341 posts, read 183,833 times

Advertisements

Well if you ax me...ending the marching band half time shows, is what killed this league.

...and Phyllis George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 09:17 AM

7,602 posts, read 6,104,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
buh bye !

You woulda been lost in the 70's. Qb got hit every play. Even into the 90's it was like that on every passing play just about.
Yep, and SOME QBs like Roman Gabriel bumped right into a tackler to get an extra two yards. None of this sliding or stepping out of bounds to stay safe...Otto Graham would just turn on the speed and level the guy. Toughs guys played QB back then.
You think for one minute that football is not a contact sport..well....guess what? If you have the ball you get tackled.
UNLESS You are Tom Brady and Old Toothless himself Jerome Boger is the Referee...then you get penalized for tackling Brady (even though he was running with the ball) because Elder abuse is an issue here in Florida.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:56 AM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
Thoughts on Johnny Unitas---

Merlin Olsen--"When Unitas went back to pass he would think about that cheap shot he got on the last play and would call another pass play. He would hold that ball an extra second so you could hit him to let you know he wasn't afraid of you.

John Steadman--Baltimore Sun columnist. "He wasn't totally immune to pain but he had a high threshold. He could take a lot. The other players knew it, that's why they respected him so much."

Old 10-10-2022, 11:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 2,580,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some of us are capable of being concerned about more than one thing at a time.
Hi..This is true, but completely irrelevant..

I never suggested fans should be single issue hand-wringers. I just think it's bizarre how fast fan outrage was mobilized over Tua's injury. Players are constantly getting injured, concussed, etc. It's an inherent part of the game. And it seems none of these fans were protesting adding a 17th game. Which was an unnecessary addition to the schedule, increasing the chances of late season injuries. I think it's mostly crocodile tears & virtue signaling from both the league and fans (over Tua's misdiagnosis)

My broad point was: where is (the same level of) fan outrage over constantly being psy-oped by the NFL. I feel like I'm the only one who wants to watch apolitical football. I don't want the NFL encouraging me to support the military, selling me pink jerseys under the guise of responsibly funding cancer research, teaching me about Hispanic heritage. etc etc

Old 10-10-2022, 11:51 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times
I’m weaning myself off of the NFL as my last US professional sport. I can’t stand the endless commercial breaks. An NFL game should take 90 minutes. The rest is commercials.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:36 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thoughts on Johnny Unitas---

Merlin Olsen--"When Unitas went back to pass he would think about that cheap shot he got on the last play and would call another pass play. He would hold that ball an extra second so you could hit him to let you know he wasn't afraid of you.

John Steadman--Baltimore Sun columnist. "He wasn't totally immune to pain but he had a high threshold. He could take a lot. The other players knew it, that's why they respected him so much."
And there was a play where some opposing player took a cheap shot at one of the Colts and on the next play Johnny U threw the football as hard as he could, straight into that player's face, and broke his nose.

But I've been cringing for years at the speed with which some of these guys slam into other players. Ouch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:30 PM

5,252 posts, read 6,180,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m weaning myself off of the NFL as my last US professional sport. I can’t stand the endless commercial breaks. An NFL game should take 90 minutes. The rest is commercials.
I go to my buddies house each Sunday to watch the games and he can’t stand commercials so we watched delayed so he can FF through the commercials.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:39 PM

68,350 posts, read 54,496,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
It's interesting to me, which things are upsetting to NFL fans. Concussions have always been part of the game. NFL instituted half-a**ed concussion protocols to avoid future lawsuits from concussed players.
The Tua debacle highlighted how superficial the protocols actually were.. (trying to diagnose a concussion within minutes, with subjective standards was always stupid, but..) Now as an evolving legal strategy, the NFL will upgrade protocols (probably preventing players from completely returning to a game). So concussion diagnosis will get better, but not perfect. It's a violent game, people will continue to get injured. I'm not outraged about guys getting injured.. They're well compensated & understand the risks.

I don't understand why fans aren't more outraged by the constant psy-ops the league are running. Pedaling pink cancer awareness gear (that is mostly a money grab for vendors), ethnocentric history months, constant messaging condemning America's White racism, honoring American militarism with their camo week, and recently celebrating internationalism (helmets decorated with foreign flags). I miss the days when the NFL just fielded football games. And neither the league or the fans expected the NFL to be our society's heavy handed moral 'guides'

Like any corporation, the NFL exists to make $$$, if something else makes them more $$$, football will take a back seat to it. I'll watch on TV for entertainment but when they tried to tell me I had to give them $$$ to buy a license that would allow me to give them more $$$ to buy a ticket I said the hell with this noise.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:46 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,222,309 times
The injuries are weird...Tua twice and then Bridgewater. Don't they select the helmets they use? Perhaps they should consider better helmets. Not saying this is their fault, but all players are aware of the risk. It's a contact sport and there is only so much that can be controlled or the game is destroyed.

On the other hand, I think of rugby players and they do kinda the same things without pads and helmets...

Old 10-10-2022, 03:06 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I go to my buddies house each Sunday to watch the games and he can’t stand commercials so we watched delayed so he can FF through the commercials.
Ditto. If there are two games on at the same time I won't record either, but will flip back and forth between them which allows me to see most of two games with few commercial breaks. A stand alone telecast I will record and FF through all the ads, most of which are execrable.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football