Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 10:59 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,850 times

Advertisements

The NFL has really committed towards playing annual games in London and they just held a game in Germany and it was a roaring success. I believe their aim is to further educate Europeans on the game of American Football with an end goal of locating NFL teams in Europe. They want this to be a WORLD GAME.

In the near future, I could see them add EIGHT new teams with six of the eight being International teams, for a total of 40 teams.

Football is only played once a week so the logistics are not as overwhelming as many think.

I could see the new NFL looking like this:

AFC

AFC EAST
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC NORTH
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC WEST
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Chargers

AFC Europe
London Team
Germany Team
Paris Team
Spain Team

NFC

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants
Washington Commanders

NFC NORTH
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC SOUTH
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers

NFC North America
Toronto Team
Mexico City Team
New US Team #1 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)
New US Team #2 (San Antonio, St. Louis, Portland, Salt Lake City, Austin, Louisville, etc.)

Last edited by H'ton; 11-15-2022 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 01:31 PM

335 posts, read 181,133 times
^Looks good to me.

I think that the NFL would best succeed in gaining support among the people of Europe by embracing the culture and history of those people. But, keep things sparkly and loud at the same time. Would the Roman Colosseum have enough room to squeeze a football field into the middle of it?

Old 11-15-2022, 01:38 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
If they want to do an international thing.. They need to have an international league. Bring back the Waffle or something.

Trying to stick teams overseas is just going to be problematic.

I'll also say.. There's ZERO chance, in my eyes, of a team landing in Toronto. Too close to Buffalo.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:09 PM

602 posts, read 504,467 times
The networks (since the NFC package has on average larger markets) might prefer that the new divisions be swapped (put more of the non-US markets in the NFC).

With an expansion of eight, I think it'd work better to keep the eight divisions but put a fifth team in each. With an odd number of divisions in each conference it'd mess up the intra-conference rotation (there would be one division without a mate). Going back to five-team divisions also reduces the chances of a weak team coasting into the playoffs by being the least-worst team in a bad division.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:23 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Possibly, but I just don't think of Paris as the sort of place that would embrace the wild and woolly NFL.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:35 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
If it were up to me I'd reduce the number of teams rather than increasing it....
but obviously that would be swimming against the tide.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If they want to do an international thing.. They need to have an international league. Bring back the Waffle or something.

Trying to stick teams overseas is just going to be problematic.

I'll also say.. There's ZERO chance, in my eyes, of a team landing in Toronto. Too close to Buffalo.

They already tried a European League in the 90s...it failed.

The best way is to integrate the 4 European teams into the NFL.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:10 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,819 times
I can't see an NFL team permanently located in Europe working considering travel, significant time zone differences etc. Maybe a team in Canada like how NBA has Toronto or MLB has Montreal & Toronto or the NHL teams, but that's about it. But scheduling favors those sports because they'll go on 3-4 game road trips then stay home for 3-4 games.

I doubt the NFL even cracks the top 15 for most popular sports in Europe. I could see the NFL keeping it at a few games a year for the London/Munich residents to go once & say they went to a game, & that's about it. Soccer, basketball, hockey, even cycling are far more popular.

NFL should instead focus on increasing its popularity among 16-25 year olds in the U.S. where the NBA is getting more a following than the NFL.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:46 PM

602 posts, read 504,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
The networks (since the NFC package has on average larger markets) might prefer that the new divisions be swapped (put more of the non-US markets in the NFC).
Come to think of it, with conference distinctions between CBS and FOX being blurred even more under the new contract, this imbalance I was referring to of the NFC package being worth more than the AFC one shouldn't matter as much now.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:02 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,553,512 times
The NFL trying to force feed football to the world has been going on since the 8os. I remember when they used to show the European games on TV (circa early 90s), teams like the Barcelona Dragons, etc. Nobody was watching.
Yes, the NFL can now draw crowds for occasional games.. but other than league profits, I dont see any upside (for fans or game quality) in peddling American football to the rest of the world. They generally don't care about it.. it would create more travel burdens on teams, adding more teams won't elevate level of play.. it really is an obnoxious objective. I guess I'm a football isolationist, let the rest of the globe have soccer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football