Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 11:36 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Many rules for the flex games, but didn't see anywhere stating teams have a say in it. I would go with no they do not, but certain games require more notice than others, reading about it whole process seems complicated.

I doubt that even the networks get a say.

It'd be interesting if they flexed out a 'mid level' game.. One with no playoff implications, between two average teams like.. New York and Green Bay (Not saying they're either 'average' teams this year) but they're two of the very best TV markets.. For a game that had implications between teams without great viewership.. Maybe like Tennessee vs Jacksonville

While the latter matchup would be more exciting.. It might lose some of the numbers from the 'big markets'.

If the fans raise a big enough stink on this.. Will probably stop it from happening again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 09:11 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
I get flexing Sunday games. Even if you flexed from Sunday afternoon to Sunday evening you probably aren't traveling there and back on the day of the game, you are probably making it a whole weekend trip; fly out Friday/Saturday, come back Monday, so if you go from a 1 PM scheduled to a 4:25 scheduled, or from a 4:25 scheduled to an 8:30 scheduled it's not the end of a world. Very few people, if any, are going to be inconvenienced, and for those that are it will likely be local folks.

....however flexing from a Sunday to a Monday (or vice versa) I am NOT a fan of as this is a major travel inconvenience. Let's assume your a Chiefs fan from KC/Missouri area, you have relatives in the Boston area, so you kill 2 birds with 1 stone: you go visit the relatives sine you won't see them at Christmas, and you end the "weekend" with the Chiefs game in Foxborough on Monday night. So you plan everything out: we fly out Saturday, spend Sunday with the relatives, have a Monday morning/afternoon in Boston before heading to the game and flying back on Tuesday morning, now that whole weekend plan you planned out is ruined because the NFL moved the game back a day.

And for the opposite switch is even worse: Your an Eagles fan, and you take a weekend out to Seattle to see the game. Knowing the game is on Sunday, and the Seattle airport isn't that far from downtown Seattle you schedule yourself on the redeye Sunday night back East to Philly. Now you may have to pay out of pocket (something the NFL certainly ain't going to reimburse you for) to change your itinerary because the league office decided to move the game. Just a no for me. I'll continue to rag on the NFL about how I wish the Monday night & Thursday night games were better, but those are two nights that should never be flexed out because of travel arrangements made because the game was scheduled on that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football