Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 07:20 AM

1,992 posts, read 978,033 times

Advertisements

I am very surprised the Falcons did not go with BB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 11:15 AM

17,606 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I am very surprised the Falcons did not go with BB!

I don't think it was a good fit.. From either side.

Look.. Arthur Blank, it's been reported, really wanted Bill.. However.. He has a setup now with McKay and Fontenot in their roles.. And.. To bring in Belichick would have required reorganizing that..

And.. Bill would only be there for a few years. Man is 72-ish. So.. Does it make sense to revamp your front office to give Belichick the control that he would require.. For.. A couple of years?

If he was a younger man.. I think they'd have gone with him.

While I don't really like, or at least, I'm certainly not excited about the hire of Morris.. I totally agree that they made the right call on passing on Belichick.

Plus.. Belichick.. Not sure he's the guy for a new QB. and, I have to believe the Falcons have a new QB next year.

Who's left?

We're down to a few open slots left, right?

Washington and Seattle?

I don't see Bill getting either of those. I mean, both are possible.. I could be a bit biased here because I don't WANT him in Washington.. I'd say Seattle would be the better fit.. Why would Washington hire a new GM just to reorganize for the coach? No sense.

Seattle.. Maybe it could work because of the organization that was there with Carroll.. Maybe both sides could adapt to keep the same type of setup..

Old 01-26-2024, 11:20 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I saw that Rex Ryan on ESPN suggested that Belichick replace McDermott over at Buffalo, and a few others have been echoing that. I am not saying that it can't work, but Belichick was our coach, and despite him shaping the Patriots for 25 years, Buffalo is the better team right now; and I think some people just take it on faith that he's going to sprinkle some magic dust on the team and deliver a string of Super Bowl wins if he goes to Buffalo, because, well, he's Bill Belichick and everyone is supposed to say that he's the GOAT. He's certainly still got some True Believers here, but his stock has gone down a lot in New England - once Belichick subtracted Tom Brady (which was a huge flawed move in itself), the success dried up here, and the team's actually been getting worse over the years, under his guidance. Now the Patriots don't have an abundance of elite talent, and I don't doubt he could have a better record with a better team, if you're willing to ignore the fact that he built this losing team. At least from my perspective, of course he's worthy of consideration, but there are also valid reasons to ask some hard questions for any team contemplating him taking over their program.
The sole mention of Brady is oversimplification with others like Gronkowski or Edelman gone as well. That winning formula was broken up and it doesn't just happen again overnight.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The sole mention of Brady is oversimplification with others like Gronkowski or Edelman gone as well. That winning formula was broken up and it doesn't just happen again overnight.

To defend Ryan a little bit.. And I hate the idea of that..

The one constant there was Brady.

Gronk wasn't there the whole time.. Edelman wasn't there the whole time.

There was a rotating cast of characters with the one constant being Tom Brady. and once Tom Brady left.. The winning stopped.

Here's the way what Ryan said is fact.. At least in my eyes.

People WANTED to play with Tom Brady. Offense, defense, special teams.. Didn't matter. They wanted to be on the same team with Brady.. So, they made concessions to do that.

Once he left.. People did the same to play for him in Tampa.

So.. From that perspective.. I don't disagree with Ryan.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You forgot to mention defense, which in addition to Brady, carried the team.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't think it was a good fit.. From either side.

Look.. Arthur Blank, it's been reported, really wanted Bill.. However.. He has a setup now with McKay and Fontenot in their roles.. And.. To bring in Belichick would have required reorganizing that..

And.. Bill would only be there for a few years. Man is 72-ish. So.. Does it make sense to revamp your front office to give Belichick the control that he would require.. For.. A couple of years?

If he was a younger man.. I think they'd have gone with him.

While I don't really like, or at least, I'm certainly not excited about the hire of Morris.. I totally agree that they made the right call on passing on Belichick.

Plus.. Belichick.. Not sure he's the guy for a new QB. and, I have to believe the Falcons have a new QB next year.

Who's left?

We're down to a few open slots left, right?

Washington and Seattle?

I don't see Bill getting either of those. I mean, both are possible.. I could be a bit biased here because I don't WANT him in Washington.. I'd say Seattle would be the better fit.. Why would Washington hire a new GM just to reorganize for the coach? No sense.

Seattle.. Maybe it could work because of the organization that was there with Carroll.. Maybe both sides could adapt to keep the same type of setup..
You're right about the fit and Falcons could draft a QB. Heineke isn't the answer. Ridder hasn't played the best but I bet the team keeps him around.

BB is not a good fit at all in Washington. Also, Seattle is going to have new ownership in a couple years, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be there either. My guess is Belichick's days as a head coach are done for this season. If he comes back next year, who knows.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
You're right about the fit and Falcons could draft a QB. Heineke isn't the answer. Ridder hasn't played the best but I bet the team keeps him around.

BB is not a good fit at all in Washington. Also, Seattle is going to have new ownership in a couple years, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be there either. My guess is Belichick's days as a head coach are done for this season. If he comes back next year, who knows.

Ridder is on the roster next year, no question. He's on the rookie contract. But they bring in someone to 'Compete" with him.. Perhaps like a Jacoby Brissett.. and let Ridder learn under him.

I wouldn't give up on Ridder yet.. But he's not ready. He showed that last year. They also really didn't do him any favors by bringing in Heinicke as the backup.. While I will always love Taylor Heinicke's story and what he nearly did against Tampa Bay in the playoffs a few years back.. He plays with a style unlike anyone else, at least in my eyes, and.. He's not a teacher of the position.

Brissett.. I think could be. A number of QBs could be.

This is an area that the Packers just excel at. People complain about how long they had Rodgers and Love riding the bench.. But.. Argue with the results. Dare you. Admittedly. Still a tad early to make the call on Love, but.. Looking pretty good.

FWIW.. The fact that Seattle will have new ownership (I don't FULLY know the situation there.. I remember Paul Allen died but didn't know where things sit/sat).. That makes it MORE likely, i'd think, that he'd be a good fit.. Because.. He can't have more than a few years left in him. If both sides would do some give and take to fit him in with the current organizational scheme.. Seems to me the fact that you'd have new ownership on the way and a coach.. Probably ready to retire about the same time.. Makes for a very good fit.

Problem is the QB.. Again.. While Geno has impressed me.. I'm still not a fan. But, if Bill thinks he can work with him..

Personally, as I've said before.. I think he ought to be a consultant for some team.. He can relax a bit, which.. Probably needs to happen at his age.. And.. The man does have a decent eye for talent. but, if he WANTS to be a HC still.. Seattle.. Worse hires have been made.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:04 PM

^Agree. There are a number of guys they could bring in - Brissett, Mason Rudolph is a free agent to be, maybe Garner Minshew would want to be a starter, Ryan Tannehill - just to name several that come to mind. But there is definitely an opportunity for a youngster or veteran QB here.

You're right about Seattle too. The majority owner, I forget their name, planned on selling the team in the next year or two. I feel like management would not want to give Belichick the control he wanted. I mean, they basically forced Pete Carroll out. He even admitted that he did not have all the say on football matters.

I think Geno Smith had one, maybe two decent seasons. That is it. I don't think he is a legit top half of the league QB that is going to lead a team to a championship.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:58 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,885,926 times
Seattle's owner is Jody Allen, since her brother Paul Allen died. Actually I believe she's just trustee to his estate and is required to sell the team by 2040 or so. She's said there are no plans to sell the Seahawks or Trailblazers anytime soon.

Beeelichick would be very unlikely imo. Schneider is a good GM and will now be the boss vs. Pete having veto power. He's in charge of hiring the coach. Jody told him to maintain the positive culture. That sounds very different from bringing in a control freak, no matter the pedigree. I've heard nothing about Beeelichick being considered. He's also too old.

I wouldn't mind him being the DC though!

Old 01-26-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle's owner is Jody Allen, since her brother Paul Allen died. Actually I believe she's just trustee to his estate and is required to sell the team by 2040 or so. She's said there are no plans to sell the Seahawks or Trailblazers anytime soon.

Beeelichick would be very unlikely imo. Schneider is a good GM and will now be the boss vs. Pete having veto power. He's in charge of hiring the coach. Jody told him to maintain the positive culture. That sounds very different from bringing in a control freak, no matter the pedigree. I've heard nothing about Beeelichick being considered. He's also too old.

I wouldn't mind him being the DC though!
Ok.. So.. There's no 'imminent' sale.. My whole theory was based on that. I agree, anyone looking for a long term coach, which.. I can't imagine anyone is NOT. Belichick is not the answer.

At this point in his life/career, Belichick would be a glorified interim coach.

I'd say there's no way he does the DC route. Unless that C is for Consultant. I think his ego is too big for that.

Also too big for him to be a coach in the UFL or whatever the USFL/XFL league is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football