Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 03:00 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

I agree about ego. But if he could let that go, and skip installing the "Patriot Way" (micromanaging, tamping down player personalities/exposure, getting rid of players just after their peaks, etc.) and just focus on the defense, he'd do really well. That's only if he craves coaching, because he must be wealthy.

Maybe he'll join a team as special consultant or something. I don't think color commentating is his thing...he can be personable with the media when he wants to be, but he's too subdued. (Hey, how about him, Brady, and Al Michaels as a team?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 12:24 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I agree about ego. But if he could let that go, and skip installing the "Patriot Way" (micromanaging, tamping down player personalities/exposure, getting rid of players just after their peaks, etc.) and just focus on the defense, he'd do really well. That's only if he craves coaching, because he must be wealthy.

Maybe he'll join a team as special consultant or something. I don't think color commentating is his thing...he can be personable with the media when he wants to be, but he's too subdued. (Hey, how about him, Brady, and Al Michaels as a team?)
So long as no one is challenging him or asking him why he did something that sounds odd and turned out poorly, and especially if they're sucking up to him: "I want to introduce the Greatest Of All Time, Bill Belichick!!! Oh my God, coach - I can't believe I am actually talking to you! - tell us again how you won 6 Super Bowls???" - he can smile big and have all the time in the world for you...

Old 01-27-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The sole mention of Brady is oversimplification with others like Gronkowski or Edelman gone as well. That winning formula was broken up and it doesn't just happen again overnight.
Football is a team sport, so I am not saying that Brady got all his rings singlehandedly. But if you look at Brady's personal stats, they are fantastic:
- Passer rating of 97.0
- 89,214 yards gained passing
- 649 touchdowns passing
- 212 interceptions
- 15 Pro Bowls

When Brady went to Tampa Bay in 2020, they hadn't won a playoff game since 2002, but the first year he was there, they won the Super Bowl. He is also widely acclaimed for making his team-mates play better, and Bruce Arians said he was like another coach on the field. Getting rid of Tom was something Belichick had been working on for awhile - he had been saying Tom was over the hill for years (even though he won more Super Bowls for Bill during this period), and it was a huge mistake on Belichick's part.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:55 PM

1,982 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Football is a team sport, so I am not saying that Brady got all his rings singlehandedly. But if you look at Brady's personal stats, they are fantastic:
- Passer rating of 97.0
- 89,214 yards gained passing
- 649 touchdowns passing
- 212 interceptions
- 15 Pro Bowls

When Brady went to Tampa Bay in 2020, they hadn't won a playoff game since 2002, but the first year he was there, they won the Super Bowl. He is also widely acclaimed for making his team-mates play better, and Bruce Arians said he was like another coach on the field. Getting rid of Tom was something Belichick had been working on for awhile - he had been saying Tom was over the hill for years (even though he won more Super Bowls for Bill during this period), and it was a huge mistake on Belichick's part.
You can't forget that Tampa also had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin - 800+ receiving yards each between them & 20 combined receiving TDs - Rob Gronkowski (7 TDs) at TE, the 8th ranked scoring defense that ranked #1 against the run, picked off 15 passes (7th in NFL), and recorded 48 sacks (tied for 4th in NFL).

You're right, Brady did not do it all himself.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
You can't forget that Tampa also had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin - 800+ receiving yards each between them & 20 combined receiving TDs - Rob Gronkowski (7 TDs) at TE, the 8th ranked scoring defense that ranked #1 against the run, picked off 15 passes (7th in NFL), and recorded 48 sacks (tied for 4th in NFL).

You're right, Brady did not do it all himself.
Yes, Brady joined a great team. That hadn't won a playoff game since 2002. Then they won the Super Bowl - that's a huge difference. Do you folks who think that it must have been the other people who brought success to the teams in Brady's career really believe that it's just coincidence, that wherever he's been, excellence was the result? Back at Michigan, he started his junior and senior year, had an overall record of 20-5, set a school record for completions in a season, plus had victories in the Citrus Bowl and Orange Bowl... and yet, the NFL coaches and scouts thought little of him too. I don't know how people can be so blind.

Old 01-27-2024, 03:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
That's not a great record for a college QB. If you want to go in the first round, you have to show elite abilities in multiple areas (Williams, Maye, Daniels), and it really helps to go something like 25-2 (Penix, McCarthy).

But I agree in part. Scouting used to focus less on processing or throwing accuracy than it does now, and more size and arm strength. He might have been taken higher in today's environment. At the same time, he might have also benefitted from landing with a team that would recognize and develop his strengths where others might not have.

Old 01-27-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, Brady joined a great team. That hadn't won a playoff game since 2002. Then they won the Super Bowl - that's a huge difference. Do you folks who think that it must have been the other people who brought success to the teams in Brady's career really believe that it's just coincidence, that wherever he's been, excellence was the result? Back at Michigan, he started his junior and senior year, had an overall record of 20-5, set a school record for completions in a season, plus had victories in the Citrus Bowl and Orange Bowl... and yet, the NFL coaches and scouts thought little of him too. I don't know how people can be so blind.
There are plenty of players in the pro football hall of fame who went undrafted.

Joe Perry
Larry Little
Mick Tingelhoff
Marion Motley
John Randle
Willie Brown
Richard "Night Train" Lane
Emlen Tunnell
Lou Groza
Warren Moon
Kurt Warner

Brady isn't the only great player the scouts missed.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's not a great record for a college QB. If you want to go in the first round, you have to show elite abilities in multiple areas (Williams, Maye, Daniels), and it really helps to go something like 25-2 (Penix, McCarthy).

But I agree in part. Scouting used to focus less on processing or throwing accuracy than it does now, and more size and arm strength. He might have been taken higher in today's environment. At the same time, he might have also benefitted from landing with a team that would recognize and develop his strengths where others might not have.
My point is that Brady was underestimated then, despite have demonstrated excellence - forget the 1st round, he didn't get taken in the 2nd round, or 3rd, or... and he's still being underestimated today.

Regarding the draft and the combine, I think that there is an awful lot that can contribute to athletic success, that isn't measured in height, weight, a 40-yard dash, or vertical leap, or cone drill agility, etc Even for the physical part of the sport, these metrics are a blunt instrument, just some basic markers - sure they tell you something, but it's nowhere near the whole story, and then there's the whole mental aspect of the game - drive, tenacity, courage, optimism, football IQ, leadership, etc. Brady looked unremarkable on paper, but if you just look at what happens when he plays and leads a team - it's remarkable.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:43 PM

Rob Gronkowski talks with Jason and Travis Kelce about Tom Brady's leadership style, and it turns out, Jason had experienced it too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpKa0eXUZuQ

Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
My point is that Brady was underestimated then, despite have demonstrated excellence - forget the 1st round, he didn't get taken in the 2nd round, or 3rd, or... and he's still being underestimated today.

Regarding the draft and the combine, I think that there is an awful lot that can contribute to athletic success, that isn't measured in height, weight, a 40-yard dash, or vertical leap, or cone drill agility, etc Even for the physical part of the sport, these metrics are a blunt instrument, just some basic markers - sure they tell you something, but it's nowhere near the whole story, and then there's the whole mental aspect of the game - drive, tenacity, courage, optimism, football IQ, leadership, etc. Brady looked unremarkable on paper, but if you just look at what happens when he plays and leads a team - it's remarkable.
What the heck are you talking about? A lot of the media and most people say he is the GOAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football