Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 04:59 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Vince McMahon and WWE corporation, IF he gets out of his sex trafficking scandal And he will

I could see the WWE buying the NFL outright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
What is this "NFL" entity that you see being bought? The teams are all multi-billion dollar properties with separate owners. The league's collective property (league office, brand, etc.) is I believe ultimately owned by the teams.

Based on the first internet result, the entire WWE is valued at $8.37b. That's just....nothing, in relative terms. It's like two NFL teams.

And why would it be otherwise? They have TV viewers but nothing like the NFL, and, while maybe I'm out of touch, don't they lean heavily toward kids and maybe millennials, vs the NFL trending toward boomers and Gen X? They don't own stadiums either.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:26 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
Cat is our resident "tongue in cheek" guy providing us with long takes, great posts, rarely completely serious on any given take. WWE, seriously doubt it.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Cat is our resident "tongue in cheek" guy providing us with long takes, great posts, rarely completely serious on any given take. WWE, seriously doubt it.
Yup.. he always has good, funny insights.
I think he's the poster who regularly ridicules the Arizona Cardinals too(?), which I appreciate.

After the debacle of the Steve Wilks' administration, and the desperate hope invested in Kyler Murray.. Cards deserve some public criticism.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:29 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
That would be him, and you're right some teams deserve criticism. Had to laugh at GMFB this morning, they were talking about the media and their perpetual crowning of the Cowboys every off season. Some teams do deserve criticism instead of perpetual hype. I don't think Cat skips any team with this commentary.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:22 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I sincerely doubt any foreign buyers will see interest in purchasing an NFL team. There's virtually zero fan interest in countries one might think of as home to such buyers, and also the lack of knowledge/nuances necessary to make it successful unlike the NBA, MLB or NHL for instance.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:43 AM

Teams have historically been phenomenal investments. But they might not be in the future. Their values might be at a peak or plateau, or at least not grow as quickly. Some factors up and down:

How much more money can they pry out of fans?

Will revenues grow with via online portals, or actually shrink for the same reason?

Will they attract more young viewers or continue to skew old?

Will they develop foreign fan bases at enough scale?

Will a team (the one being purchased) get a big new subsidy for a stadium (various direct and indirect means), increasing its value?

Will foreign ownership hurt or help their ability to get that subsidy, through fear of losing a team or simply a less lovable face? Or the flip side, potentially a more-lovable face than a hated local guy?

Will safety concerns and long-term healthcare demands reduce interest and add costs?

Old 02-14-2024, 05:39 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Who Will Own the NFL in the Years Ahead?

The highest bidder.

I agree, I don't see the NFL being any more discriminating than the average street walker, the number of $$$ and nothing else will decide who gets the prize.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:45 PM

I guess if even a street walker wouldn't work with Daniel Snyder...

Old 02-17-2024, 05:22 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I sincerely doubt any foreign buyers will see interest in purchasing an NFL team. There's virtually zero fan interest in countries one might think of as home to such buyers, and also the lack of knowledge/nuances necessary to make it successful unlike the NBA, MLB or NHL for instance.
They wouldn't be buying a NFL franchise to cater to their native country. How many Americans care about a soccer team in Venice? Didn't stop an American from buying a controlling interest into Venezia. There is money to be made in Italy despite no interest in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football