Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 12:53 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,121,152 times

Advertisements

Welp, either they'll talk again later, or the franchise tag is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,483,926 times
I say go ahead and franchise tag him. We need to make sure that the strides that Cousins made wasn't just a mirage. I think he'll continue to get better and will wind being well worth a big contract, but I see no issue with letting him prove that he isn't a one hit wonder.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,644,765 times
What is the hold up? He did everything right last year, and they certainly don't have a better option at the moment. Pay the man!

Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM

17,628 posts, read 15,327,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
What is the hold up? He did everything right last year, and they certainly don't have a better option at the moment. Pay the man!
The holdup is.. Did he have one really good year and it was an anomaly?

You give him a 5 year big dollar contract.. And he can't perform the way he did this year..

Honestly.. I agree.. Give him the contract.. It's not like they're guaranteed. He doesn't perform.. cut him. You'll take a, generally slight, cap hit.. But.. Wasn't Donovan McNabb signed to something like a 10 year contract a week before he was benched?

Baseball.. You sign a 5yr/$75mil contract.. You're getting paid all of it. Football.. Not so much.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,899,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
On a completely unrelated note, I really want the Redskins go back wearing burgundy pants again. I'm so sick of those mustard pants!
Didn't they only wear the burgundy at home but wore white pants away? I distinctly remember the Redskins in white pants when they would play us in Dallas back in the day... but I could be wrong.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I say go ahead and franchise tag him. We need to make sure that the strides that Cousins made wasn't just a mirage. I think he'll continue to get better and will wind being well worth a big contract, but I see no issue with letting him prove that he isn't a one hit wonder.
Agree completely. I'd rather pay him big for one year than get stuck paying big for 4-5 years and it turns out 2015 was a fluke.

If he plays well again next year, even though he'll demand more money than he is right now, at least we're paying for a proven commodity.

Franchise his ass!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Didn't they only wear the burgundy at home but wore white pants away? I distinctly remember the Redskins in white pants when they would play us in Dallas back in the day... but I could be wrong.
Yes. Although, even on road games, they still wore the white jerseys and burgundy pants, because most home teams usually designate their team color jerseys as the home jersey - with the exception of Dallas. So yeah, just about all the time, the Redskins would wear their "home" uniforms when they played the Cowboys in Dallas. There were a few times in the 80's when the 'skins wore burgundy jerseys and white pants at home when they played the Cardinals, but that wasn't very often at all. I've always loved the white jerseys and burgundy pants look. Never have liked the "gold" yellow pants, especially wearing those yellow pants with the white jerseys. If not for the burgundy helmets, you'd think it was the Packers you're watching.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The holdup is.. Did he have one really good year and it was an anomaly?

You give him a 5 year big dollar contract.. And he can't perform the way he did this year..

Honestly.. I agree.. Give him the contract.. It's not like they're guaranteed. He doesn't perform.. cut him. You'll take a, generally slight, cap hit.. But.. Wasn't Donovan McNabb signed to something like a 10 year contract a week before he was benched?

Baseball.. You sign a 5yr/$75mil contract.. You're getting paid all of it. Football.. Not so much.
Eh, I tend to disagree. First of all, Cousins' agent is not going to agree to some slight contract where Cousins' cap hit is minimal. What I mean by that is, you're not going to get a 5 year contract worth $5-$10 million dollars per season. It's going to be upwards to $15-$18 million, at least, per year. Moreover, if you franchise him and some other team is willing to pay him and give up two first round draft picks for him, well, so be it. However, the likelihood of some other team being desperate enough to give up high round draft picks for a quarterback who has had, basically, a half good season, is very slim. So franchising him is the best option. If he blows up and leads the team to a Super Bowl in 2016, sure, he's going to get PAID, but at least you know Cousins is legit and has proven to lead a team to glory.

I love Cousins and I think he's the best quarterback, at least the best chance at a franchise quarterback, the Redskins have had in awhile. But, stepping away from the excitement of the season, clearer heads can see that Cousins didn't lead the team to a win over any team with a winning record this season. He couldn't lead the 'skins to a win over the Packers in the playoffs, and he didn't start winning road games until the very last part of the season. So, Cousins still has a lot to prove. That being said, I DID see a continued progression throughout the year, and that Tampa bay game really was Cousins' coming out party. He's always shown flashes of being a great quarterback, and it started coming together this season. but, he's not big money yet. I want to see one full season of how Cousins played in the second half of 2015, and I want to see him lead the team to at least 10 wins and a playoff victory before I say let's pay the guy.

On the flip side, I don't blame Cousins for trying to strike a good deal as soon as possible with any team. You don't get very many opportunities in the NFL to get PAID, so if a team is willing to offer you big time money, take it even if you haven't necessarily earned it.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM

17,628 posts, read 15,327,179 times
Quote:
Eh, I tend to disagree. First of all, Cousins' agent is not going to agree to some slight contract where Cousins' cap hit is minimal. What I mean by that is, you're not going to get a 5 year contract worth $5-$10 million dollars per season. It's going to be upwards to $15-$18 million, at least, per year. Moreover, if you franchise him and some other team is willing to pay him and give up two first round draft picks for him, well, so be it. However, the likelihood of some other team being desperate enough to give up high round draft picks for a quarterback who has had, basically, a half good season, is very slim. So franchising him is the best option. If he blows up and leads the team to a Super Bowl in 2016, sure, he's going to get PAID, but at least you know Cousins is legit and has proven to lead a team to glory.
Rodgers is getting $22mil a year. $15-18mil puts him in Dalton, Bradford, Palmer territory.. Still too high.

$10-15 is probably what he should be asking, legit to pay him. Foles/Bradford type money.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 AM

I'm hearing Kirk is looking for around $18-19M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football