Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2024, 07:15 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,393,458 times

Advertisements

R.I.P. I remember him when he played for the Eagles.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...ies-at-age-83/

Roman Gabriel, one of pro football's best quarterbacks during the 1960s, passed away Saturday morning, his son announced. He was 83 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 12:11 PM

12,592 posts, read 9,705,537 times
Yes, I grew up in South Jersey as an Eagles fan - he provided some thrilling plays during a difficult time for the Eagles. RIP Roman Gabriel.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:48 AM

7,604 posts, read 6,109,664 times
Sad News I remember him as a kid, he was the biggest and one of the toughest QB at the time.

He also had an appearance on Gilligan's Island

And remember, the Rams were a good team with Gabriel at the helm. He was a sold QB and large enough to take hits, even hit back. Something that most smaller QBs of the Era did not try.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 25,915,316 times
LKC is right. Guys like Brodie, Unitas, Starr, Frank Ryan stood in that pocket and took hit after hit. And got right back up and huddled up for the next play So did Roman Gabriel. He was big at the time for an NFL quarterback--6 ft. 5 in. It took George Allen to get the Rams to be winners, then when he left due to an ownership change, Gabriel's play took a hit of his own. Allen got into it with ownership and left the Rams after the 1970 season. And Gabriel had problems with the new ownership and the head coach Tommy Prothro. The Rams traded for Charger qb John Hadl, and the Eagles gave a bundle to the Rams for Gabriel. And I mean a bundle!

His low point? Probably the divisional playoffs against Green Bay. The Rams finished 11-1-2 as did Baltimore, but as the Rams beat the Colts in the last game of the regular season, they went up against Lombardi--and Green Bay waxed the Rams. I remember watching that game, the Packers had a so-so season but the Packers sensed Lombardi was going to retire after the season and as Jerry Kramer said to the club in pre-game talk--"Let's win one for the old man."

If the Rams win, IMO they could have went to and won SB-II. Green Bay beat them soundly 28-7 in the LA Coliseum. I always wondered what would have happened if the Rams took Green Bay. 11-1-2.

Old Today, 06:29 PM

13,679 posts, read 20,816,033 times
One of George Allen's boys in Los Angeles. A pretty good QB and a nice guy.

RIP Roman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football