Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times

Advertisements

All I can say is Wow about Wes Welker, Peyton will be happy about it that is for sure, Brady not so much, he was the go to guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
I know its really early but the Superbowl is in NYC this year. Talk about a fun city to see a Superbowl in. Go out a few days early and stay at Time Square and see a few musicals then go see the Superbowl. I am going to really think about this one as I think the Broncos have a good shot of making it.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Congrats to getting Welcker. He'll sure be missed here.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Broncos have been very busy! Looks to be an exciting year ahead!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
Denver Broncos sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

IS THIS REAL LIFE?!?!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Do you guys remember the criticism the media talking heads had about the Broncos going into last season? It was that they took too big a gamble on Manning (96 million on a guy nobody knew for sure if he could still play) and that they did not surround him with any noteworthy talent. Of course, we saw the result. Manning had the second best season of his career in just about every meaningful statistical QB category. The Broncos went 13-3 and had a scoring differential of nearly 200 points.

I couldn't be more obvious to anyone watching these signings now. This team is serious about winning a super bowl and is loading up for that effort.

Can you guys imagine if they add a RB who is a threat to break one to the house every time he touches the ball? Think Portis in his two seasons with the Broncos. If they can add that kind of back through the draft, this offense is going to be unstoppable. They are pretty close to it already with the Welker signing, but if they add a top-tier ground threat, defenses won't stand a chance.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,114,351 times
^^ Nice write up. I agree 100%, you can tell John Elways wants to win. You'll notice all their free agency moves have been short term deals, Welker at 2 years, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie a 1 year deal. Figure they've got a 2-year window for Peyton Manning to get things done, so Elway is going all out to capitalize on their opportunity.

I also agree that they still need a running back. Shonn Green and Reggie Bush are gone, I'd assume they will go after Steven Jackson.

Its crazy, because even after Peyton leaves, the Broncos are a pretty young team, with Von Miller, Demaryus Thomas, Eric Decker, Derrick Wolfe, etc. If they can find themselves a decent replacement for when Manning leaves, they be able to stay atop the AFC West and not slip back into mediocrity.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Its crazy, because even after Peyton leaves, the Broncos are a pretty young team, with Von Miller, Demaryus Thomas, Eric Decker, Derrick Wolfe, etc. If they can find themselves a decent replacement for when Manning leaves, they be able to stay atop the AFC West and not slip back into mediocrity.
This is part of what excites me so much. The team claims that Osweiler is the future, and he'll have a lot of talent still in its prime around him in 2-3 years once Manning is gone. I think the AFC West did get better this off season. The Broncos could have done nothing and still been in better shape than anyone else, but I am glad to see they have not maintained status quo. I seriously don't see any of the other AFC West teams contending with this Broncos team for the divisional crown this season.

The Chargers still have a lot of talent, and with McCoy now running the show they may be able to tap into that talent on a level Turner was never able to do. That team went 7-9 and while it is hard to predict a team's performance in a transitional season of a first time head coach, I can easily see them hitting 9-7 or 10-6 this year. Even 10-6 won't be good enough to top the Broncos in the standings this year.

The Chiefs got a lot better by bringing in Andy Reid and signing Alex Smith. (BTW, the day after the 49ers strapped their wagon to Kappernick I predicted that Smith would be the Chiefs next QB. LONG before anyone in sports media.) The team wasted an awesome season by Jamaal Charles, who put up 1500+ yards on just 285 caries. If they get that kind of production out of him again and combine it with a major upgrade at the QB position they will be a much better team than the 2-14 atrocity we saw last year.

The Raiders have always been the most difficult team to figure out in recent years. Even with Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen the level of dysfunction in Oakland was astounding. They ditched Greg Knapp (now with the Broncos. Hope he pans out better for us than he did for them) whose schemes were all wrong for the personnel. If they return to a power oriented run game, McFadden can still be a legit threat out of the back field. And Palmer is a reliable enough QB run the offense. I wonder if they are going to go all in on Terrell Pryor though. It's not like they have much to lose.

If I had to call it from here, I'd say the AFC West will look like this:

Broncos: 11-5 (worst case); 14-2 (best case)
Chargers: 8-8 (worst case); 10-6 (best case)
Chiefs: 4-12 (worst case); 8-8 (best case)
Raiders: 4-12 (worst case); 7-9 (best case)

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
This has been a kick ass free agency period for our team.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
I already know two games that will be overly hyped next fall and on either Sunday or Monday night football: Broncos vs. Colts (Manning) and Broncos vs Patriots (Welker). Should be an interesting season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football