Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,328,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Agreed. Flacco has always been wildly overrated and is definitely a mediocre option at this point.
He actually was pretty good, WHEN he had an o-line that didn't fall apart or, more importantly receivers that actually would, you know, catch the ball. He could throw perfect passes and hit them on the numbers and they'd drop it. CONSTANTLY. Goes on HIS stats, but it was routinely the receiver's fault. Looking at you, Perriman...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 PM

18,224 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Whew, I thought the 3% increase in ticket prices for next years schedule would be the topic of conversation at Dove Valley--well,,,,,

Supposedly acquiring Flacco and doing whatever they are going to do with Keenum is save 11 million bucks in cap space. A day and a half later, I'm a tad befuddled by all this. But in defense of Elway, if he had done nothing, he was going to be yelled at. It just didn't work out for Keenum, a certainly likable guy who happened to see all the stars aligned for him in the 2017 season while taking the Minnesota Vikings to the NFC Championship game. With the end result being 6-10, I'm not that surprised that Elway decided to pull the trigger on this thing. Lamar Jackson has really sold the Ravens that HE is their future.

Flacco is sitting at 10-5 regarding playoff games. His total stats are 38,245 yards passing. Then again his last 4 years shows a record of 24 wins and 27 losses. One would have to take a long look at the Ravens club and see what really happened in those four years. He's got a few years left in him, IIRC he is 34 years old. He has three years and $63 million left on his contract.

Listening to the talk yakfest on 104.3 the fan, the scoop on Keenum is---if the Broncos can trade Keenum they save $18 million on cap space. Picking up a veteran quarterback this offseason basically narrowed it down to Joe Flacco or Nick Foles. And trust me, Foles will go for a ton of coin. Bronco head coach Fangio likes Flacco. When Flacco first started as a rookie, the guy put up numbers-passing for 2971 yards. That was 2008. Four years later he's Super Bowl MVP. Do we get the Flacco of the first four years? Or the last four years? If Denver gets in the playoff mix, then the trade was a success. But you still need a quality offensive line, a problem that Denver has had for a few years now.

Time will tell.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:31 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
He actually was pretty good, WHEN he had an o-line that didn't fall apart or, more importantly receivers that actually would, you know, catch the ball. He could throw perfect passes and hit them on the numbers and they'd drop it. CONSTANTLY. Goes on HIS stats, but it was routinely the receiver's fault. Looking at you, Perriman...
I will admit over the last few seasons that he hasn't had a lot to work with in regards to receiving talent. However, his career yards-per-attempt is 6.7, which is a thoroughly mediocre number. The guy just isn't as good as some people think he is. I would be shocked if he ends up playing well for the Broncos over the next 2 or 3 seasons. I fully expect they will realize by this time next offseason that they need to go find another QB again.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
Quote:
I will admit over the last few seasons that he hasn't had a lot to work with in regards to receiving talent. However, his career yards-per-attempt is 6.7, which is a thoroughly mediocre number. The guy just isn't as good as some people think he is. I would be shocked if he ends up playing well for the Broncos over the next 2 or 3 seasons. I fully expect they will realize by this time next offseason that they need to go find another QB again.
Pretty much how I see it. Flacco was dangerously close to not even seeing a second contract with the Ravens based on his regular season play. But he went on one of the greatest post season runs ever and the Ravens had no choice but to reward him. Which was the correct thing to do.

I don't think Lamar Jackson is the long term answer for the Ravens either but the Ravens are totally done with Flacco that was made clear last season. The trade has just as much as them being over Flacco as it does them having faith in Jackson.

Broncos don't often miss the playoffs. Dating back to the arrival of Elway they have only missed the playoffs in three consecutive seasons twice. Five straight from 06-10 in the Cutler/Orton era and the current streak since 2016. We will see if Flacco can get them to the playoffs over the next two years or if they will tie for their longest playoff drought since 1983.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Pretty much how I see it. Flacco was dangerously close to not even seeing a second contract with the Ravens based on his regular season play. But he went on one of the greatest post season runs ever and the Ravens had no choice but to reward him. Which was the correct thing to do.

I don't think Lamar Jackson is the long term answer for the Ravens either but the Ravens are totally done with Flacco that was made clear last season. The trade has just as much as them being over Flacco as it does them having faith in Jackson.

Broncos don't often miss the playoffs. Dating back to the arrival of Elway they have only missed the playoffs in three consecutive seasons twice. Five straight from 06-10 in the Cutler/Orton era and the current streak since 2016. We will see if Flacco can get them to the playoffs over the next two years or if they will tie for their longest playoff drought since 1983.
I agree with you on Lamar Jackson. He will really need to show some major improvement with his passing going forward to really be a viable NFL QB. I just don't know if it is even really possible for a guy to make the kind of jump as a passer at the NFL level that he will need to make in order to be a long-term NFL starter.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
Quote:
I agree with you on Lamar Jackson. He will really need to show some major improvement with his passing going forward to really be a viable NFL QB. I just don't know if it is even really possible for a guy to make the kind of jump as a passer at the NFL level that he will need to make in order to be a long-term NFL starter.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some success passing early in the 2019 season. Teams still don't have much tape on him passing in the NFL. So they wouldn't know how to fully defend him. But by the end of the season, assuming he passes more and doesn't run 16 times a game teams will have tape on him and be able to defend him.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Sounds like a deal with the Redskins for Keenum is all but complete.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Sounds like a deal with the Redskins for Keenum is all but complete.
If they use the cap space they've freed up to bring in Josh Rosen-Cutler or Antonio Brown I'll vomit.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-07-2019 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If they use the cap space they've freed up to bring in Josh Rosen-Cutler or Antonio Brown I'll vomit.
I entertained the notion of Rosen a few weeks ago. If they can get him for a third I’d say do it. Otherwise they need to address the position at 10 this year. That is, if Lock is there. I don’t want to see them trade up for him, but if he’s there at 10 they should take him.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM

The Broncos picked up the options for Emmanuel Sanders and Chris Harris Jr. These are both pretty important moves on their part. You may recall, both were lost heading into the final 4 games of the season. The Broncos made an improbable (at the time) season-saving push to a 6-6 record and then just as quickly laid an egg against a 2-10 49ers team.

The losses of Harris and Sanders and the effect on the remaining 4 games of the season cannot be overestimated. Especially Sanders,. The Broncos defense was talented enough to patch work their way through the last 4 games, but the offense averaged just over 13 PPG after losing Sanders.

There are going to be some new faces in key roles in 2019, such as coaching staff and QB. It's good to know we'll have some continuity and reliability at the WR position group. And having Harris Jr. back is just good sensible football business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football