Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,643,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Draft someone or trade. That 3rd round pick we gave away for Kelvin Benjamin could have been part of a package of picks to really go for someone decent.
Give me a break. We still have two 1st and two 2nds plus a 3rd. That's still plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I'll keep saying it, we need a seasoned football guy to take charge. The current crew is in over their heads.
I agree and I'm still far from convinced that McBeane and McDermott deserve the benefit of the doubt and a second year. This team has been blown out and played terribly on both sides of the ball in four of their last five games. We have the draft picks and the cap room to possibly turn things around next year but do we really want to take a chance with this duo? If we figure we are going to have a new QB anyway, the turnover really won't hurt things much anyway.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM

6,462 posts, read 4,997,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
If we are looking in the draft I say in order:

1. Josh Rosen
2. Sam Darnold
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Lamar Jackson

Minnesota has three capable QBs in Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater. I feel Bridgewater is the biggest question mark in terms of ability. He hasn't really proven enough. Bradford is more injury prone that Taylor so that's not a great fit. Keenum is having a great year but is he a one year wonder? Minnesota will look to move at least one of the three.

Eli Manning? He'd retire before playing for Buffalo.

Josh McCown is actually having a really nice career year in New York. But he could be available.

Alex Smith. He'll definitely be available. He's a similar version to Taylor but a much better passer than Taylor.

And then there is always Peterman.
I vote draft. Who needs a Minnesota reject? Bradford is injury prone to say the least, Bridgewater may never be what he was and its not like he was Tom Brady before the injury. Keenum may be a one year wonder and I doubt if Minnesota would let him go the way he is playing. Eli, no way, its not like we have a top 5 defense and OL. Josh McCowan is a stopgap at best and seems to be thriving in NYC so why would he come here? Alex Smith, again no way. He fits KC's offense and they think enough of him to give away a #1 to draft a replacement. Enough of everyone else's rejects, I want a franchise guy and the draft is the only way to get one, plus a new OC to help him along. Look what a decent OC did for the Rams and Lynn is doing well for the Chargers. We have a defensive "guru" and our defense sucks. Belichick is smart enough to have a first rate OC to go along with his HOF QB. Sean McDermott is a disciple of Andy Reed who is well respected but just because he learned from him doesn't mean he will be a successful HC.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 12-03-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 08:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,465,436 times
The thing is if we go thru draft, we are trading those two first round draft picks to move up, and I really don’t want to do that. We need all of the draft picks that we’ve squirreled away.

I think we need a free agent. Why not Cousins assuming Washington doesn’t tag him again?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The thing is if we go thru draft, we are trading those two first round draft picks to move up, and I really don’t want to do that. We need all of the draft picks that we’ve squirreled away.

I think we need a free agent. Why not Cousins assuming Washington doesn’t tag him again?
Kirk is a very low end franchise QB. He'll also command a huge salary. He'll also be 30 by the start of next season. Would rather invest in a young 22-23 year old QB.

I wouldn't worry about giving up two first round picks. Eagles and Rams did the same. It's the price you have to pay to get a legit prospect at the position. That would be Rosen and Darnold IMO. I'm intrigued with both Mayfield and Jackson but would like to think they could hopefully be had somewhere between 7- 15 which would mean we should be able to trade up for them without giving up two first.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

Cousins wouldn't come here. Why would a in demand QB come to this perennial losing franchise. With this coach and marginal OC its not like we have them lining up to play here. The OL sucks too and McCoy likely is headed elsewhere. Its nice to dream though.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Give me a break. We still have two 1st and two 2nds plus a 3rd. That's still plenty.
Its shows how inept they are, throwing away a 3rd on someone who was overweight and injured when we got him. He proceeded to get injured again and is a non factor. If we are building for the future why are we trading for someone else's injured players? He made zero difference and Carolina is laughing all the way to the draft.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 AM

This hit by Gronk was far more malicious then I originally realized watching it live. I thought Gronk had gone to the middle of White's back which still would have been completely unacceptable. Honestly, we are very lucky White's injury is only a concussion and not cracked C-vertebrae. If this doesn't warrant a multiple game suspension and huge fine then what the heck does?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,300,072 times
Quote:
Its shows how inept they are, throwing away a 3rd on someone who was overweight and injured when we got him. He proceeded to get injured again and is a non factor. If we are building for the future why are we trading for someone else's injured players? He made zero difference and Carolina is laughing all the way to the draft.

Kelvin Benjamin was not a good pickup for us. It was the exact reason why we parted ways with Watkins, who's having a better year with the Rams. Benjamin is a good pickup when he can stay on the field, but he's been a non-factor. We've had McCoy as the only offensive player that's been on the field for every game. You can't fear the pass when none of your receivers are a healthy scratch. Funchess had already absorbed the majority of Benjamin's targets, which is why Carolina parted with him in the end. The people who's opinions matter had already noticed he had lost a step and was not going to be a part of the franchise's future.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:33 PM

Matthews and Shaq Lawson to IR.

Jets and Dolphins are each just one game back of us in the standings. If Miami can manage to sweep us we can actually have a good shot to finish last in the division. Would be great for our draft position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football