Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,306 times

Advertisements

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not one of those people who's full of imitation horror and phony outrage about Mike Vick's dogfighting activities. If I wanted to be mad at someone, I'd be ticked off at the British for originally creating Pit Bull Terriers for that very purpose. I didn't need that convenient excuse to heap my inner resentment on the "Mike Vicks" of the sports world.

That said, if the guy can get himself back into football condition, and can get his mind re-focused on running an offense, I'm wondering where the best fit him would be? Teams are pretty much set as far as their starting QB positions this season. But quality backups are always in high demand. And with Vick's body being somewhat "preserved" for the past couple years, he's good for an extra season down the line.

Personally, I think that MikeTomlin, Mike Singletary, Jim Caldwell, or Raheem Morris--all head NFL coaches--could make use of Vick for a season or two. Vick could then look at teams like the Rams or Seahawks for a starting job.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not one of those people who's full of imitation horror and phony outrage about Mike Vick's dogfighting activities. If I wanted to be mad at someone, I'd be ticked off at the British for originally creating Pit Bull Terriers for that very purpose. I didn't need that convenient excuse to heap my inner resentment on the "Mike Vicks" of the sports world.

That said, if the guy can get himself back into football condition, and can get his mind re-focused on running an offense, I'm wondering where the best fit him would be? Teams are pretty much set as far as their starting QB positions this season. But quality backups are always in high demand. And with Vick's body being somewhat "preserved" for the past couple years, he's good for an extra season down the line.

Personally, I think that MikeTomlin, Mike Singletary, Jim Caldwell, or Raheem Morris--all head NFL coaches--could make use of Vick for a season or two. Vick could then look at teams like the Rams or Seahawks for a starting job.
First off, I can say with complete confidence that what Mike Vick did was dispicalbe and deserved the punishment. I am not outraged, but he deserved the flack and the jail time.

Staying on the topic of football though, I believe if he wants to be back in the NFL, someone will give him a chance. He is too talented not to get another shot. However, there is somewhere between 0 and 1 percent chance that shot will be in Indianapolis barring a catastrophic injury before Vick gets said shot.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Staying on the topic of football though, I believe if he wants to be back in the NFL, someone will give him a chance. He is too talented not to get another shot. However, there is somewhere between 0 and 1 percent chance that shot will be in Indianapolis barring a catastrophic injury before Vick gets said shot.
Yeah, I agree that there's not much of an opportunity in Indy. At best, it's a short-term situation where a team like that would "rent" him for a season as a back-up.

Could he compete against Jim Sorgi for the #2 job? Um, yeah. I'm pretty confident he could. But if Vick commits himself to mastering the QB position--which it looks like he's starting to do--he won't have to worry about a #2 spot. He'll be a starter somewhere in the NFL in short order.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
Quote:

Bolded part is completely false. Not to mention he liked actually torturing the animals. He is scum.

But to the point. Detroit. They could use him more than anyone I would think.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree that there's not much of an opportunity in Indy. At best, it's a short-term situation where a team like that would "rent" him for a season as a back-up.

Could he compete against Jim Sorgi for the #2 job? Um, yeah. I'm pretty confident he could.
Agreed 100%. However, knowing the Colts history under Polian, and especially considering they just drafted a QB they said will be their 3rd quarterback, I don't see a spot for him barring the unthinkable. I also believe he will be picked up before the "unthinkable" would happen.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
how about the vikings. get favre for this year and a year for vick to get himself into shape.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
how about the vikings. get favre for this year and a year for vick to get himself into shape.
Not a bad scenario. But I think one of the owners is on record as saying "No" to the possibility of Vick. Ironically though, Bret Favre not only brings his current baggage, he was also a known drunk here in Atlanta when he first came into the league. I guess forgiveness is selective.

If I were Vick, I'd spend a good chunk of my first year's salary on hiring Steve Young as my personal QB consultant. When Young came into the league, he was incredibly fast, a mediocre passer, and had a propensity to bolt from the pocket too early so that he could run the ball.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
I think the vikings were also on record saying no to favre as well. favre in atlanta? I am sure that most people forgot that stint! he was a known drunk who was also addicted to pain killers but he came out and got help. can't really fault a guy for addiction. the vikings had no problem taking percy harvin right after he tested positive for herb at the combine. I personally think vick is a scumbag, but that's also because I am a huge VA tech hater. as bad as vick is, his little brother is still worse.

vick will get his shot. the NFL forgave lawrence phillips quite a few times. I never forgave him for what he did to the gators in the fiesta bowl.

Quote:
Not a bad scenario. But I think one of the owners is on record as saying "No" to the possibility of Vick. Ironically though, Bret Favre not only brings his current baggage, he was also a known drunk here in Atlanta when he first came into the league. I guess forgiveness is selective.

If I were Vick, I'd spend a good chunk of my first year's salary on hiring Steve Young as my personal QB consultant. When Young came into the league, he was incredibly fast, a mediocre passer, and had a propensity to bolt from the pocket too early so that he could run the ball.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
I'm a steeler fan and Tomlin is my coach with Roethlisberger at QB.Not only do we have no need for him but I think Vick is a DISGRACE to the league.He funded and watched as animals tore each other apart.Poetic justice would be not feeding one of these dogs for a day and releasing him with Michael Vick in a cage.He is a piece of trash that was given the opportunity of a lifetime to play sports and become a millionaire.If they can ban a guy like Pete Rose for gambling in baseball,they should surely ban Vick for life for having dogs MURDERED!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm a steeler fan and Tomlin is my coach with Roethlisberger at QB.Not only do we have no need for him but I think Vick is a DISGRACE to the league.He funded and watched as animals tore each other apart.Poetic justice would be not feeding one of these dogs for a day and releasing him with Michael Vick in a cage.He is a piece of trash that was given the opportunity of a lifetime to play sports and become a millionaire.If they can ban a guy like Pete Rose for gambling in baseball,they should surely ban Vick for life for having dogs MURDERED!!!
Well said from a fellow Stiller fan. If the OP doesn't want to be upset for Vick fighting dogs that were bred for that purpose, how about being upset for Vick electrocuting and drowning the dogs that didn't comply?

I'd like to think that Tomlin and the Steeler organization would not want his kind on the team. The Rooneys / Colbert have a very low tolerance for off-field antics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football