Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Actually Yes I have. I was in ORM for a a year and some change when I was in the Air Force doing battlefield opertional risk management.

The fact is you cant eliminate the risk you can only decrease the chances, that being said the chances of being hurt in qtr #1 or qtr # 4 are no different so playing him for qtr one and 2 are no different. NOW THEN, buy cutting his play tim in half you decrease the exposure to the risk, but you in no way decrease the probablity of the risk while he is in the game. I'll use your Wes Welker example, that came out of the blue, just like Brady last year. Had those been week 17 meaningless games and they were in just to "stay crisp" would it have mattered?
It is a no win situation.

If Peyton goes down in the 4th quarter of the Jet game, people like you would CRUCIFY the Colts for playing Peyton deep into a meaningless game.

Just like if the Colts yank Peyton in the Jet game, people like you are quite upset.

All in all; if Reggie Wayne drops the game winning TD against the 49ers back in October/November; all of this goes away and you direct your blind hate to something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is a no win situation.

If Peyton goes down in the 4th quarter of the Jet game, people like you would CRUCIFY the Colts for playing Peyton deep into a meaningless game.

Just like if the Colts yank Peyton in the Jet game, people like you are quite upset.

All in all; if Reggie Wayne drops the game winning TD against the 49ers back in October/November; all of this goes away and you direct your blind hate to something else.

Blind hate? I think the Colts are one of the model franchises in the league. I loved Tony Dungy as a coach and more importantly as a man and what he stands for. I dont HATE them. What I do dislike is people who want to act like Belichick is this gruff a $$ bag that has no regard for anyone but himself, when there are guys like Polian that are the exact same way just not as well known. Bill has never sugar coated any of his decisions, he may not be the most media friendly guy but he makes no bones about wanting to win and to have his team be the best. Polian can say what he wants but 19-0 with that superbowl would put the colts into a category that NO ONE would forget. 23 consecutive wins is great, but who remembers that besides the die hards? NO ONE. What people would be talking about 30 years from now would have been a 19-0 champion. That you can bet your tail on. Ask the 72 dolphins!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Actually Yes I have. I was in ORM for a a year and some change when I was in the Air Force doing battlefield opertional risk management.

The fact is you cant eliminate the risk you can only decrease the chances, that being said the chances of being hurt in qtr #1 or qtr # 4 are no different so playing him for qtr one and 2 are no different. NOW THEN, buy cutting his play tim in half you decrease the exposure to the risk, but you in no way decrease the probablity of the risk while he is in the game. I'll use your Wes Welker example, that came out of the blue, just like Brady last year. Had those been week 17 meaningless games and they were in just to "stay crisp" would it have mattered?
All true, but in this case, the risk of injury has to be balanced with the team's desire to get starters enough work to stay "crisp." So, they put them out there just long enough to get into a good flow, them pull them. We can disagree with this approach all we want, but it's the one the Colts have utilized for several seasons now.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Blind hate? I think the Colts are one of the model franchises in the league. I loved Tony Dungy as a coach and more importantly as a man and what he stands for. I dont HATE them. What I do dislike is people who want to act like Belichick is this gruff a $$ bag that has no regard for anyone but himself, when there are guys like Polian that are the exact same way just not as well known. Bill has never sugar coated any of his decisions, he may not be the most media friendly guy but he makes no bones about wanting to win and to have his team be the best. Polian can say what he wants but 19-0 with that superbowl would put the colts into a category that NO ONE would forget. 23 consecutive wins is great, but who remembers that besides the die hards? NO ONE. What people would be talking about 30 years from now would have been a 19-0 champion. That you can bet your tail on. Ask the 72 dolphins!
I certainly have never said that Belichick only cares for himself. I've only said he's a gruff a$$ bag, as you call it. So, it appears we're in agreement. Same goes for Polian.

Look, I agree with you on the 19-0 thing. Had the Colts done it, they would've had every right to call themselves the greatest team of all time. It seems crazy to us, but Polian doesn't see that as important. And in the end, he's calling the shots, so it doesn't matter what we think.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I certainly have never said that Belichick only cares for himself. I've only said he's a gruff a$$ bag, as you call it. So, it appears we're in agreement. Same goes for Polian.

Look, I agree with you on the 19-0 thing. Had the Colts done it, they would've had every right to call themselves the greatest team of all time. It seems crazy to us, but Polian doesn't see that as important. And in the end, he's calling the shots, so it doesn't matter what we think.

Yeah I agree both Bill's are gruff a $$ bags. And I also agree that 19-0 would be the biggest single season team milestone you could achieve in the NFL. That said I think you guys had a GREAT shot at it but I'm happy you didnt get it.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
The same thing that makes Polian successful is the same thing that makes him unlikable. Arrogance and stubbornness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football