Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 12:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

The Black & Decker SV1000-4 Steam Cleaner

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

Anyone with pets can tell you that pet accidents can be a problem if one has carpeting, or carpets that you like to keep clean. I have cats. Three of them. And there is hardly a day that goes by that one or another of them doesn't hock up a hairball and create yet another stain on the rug, and there are only so many times that you can call a carpet cleaning agency before your pocket book starts protesting, and I don't know about you, but I really detest the steamers and cleaners that you rent from the local grocery store. They never seem to work right, their cleaning products smell dreadful, and the machines are so loud that I have a migraine for hours afterwards. So that is why, when I saw the Black & Decker SV1000-4 Steam Cleaner on display I decided to give it a try.

Perhaps one of the nicest things about the Black & Decker is its size. It's hand-held and only six pounds so it is not a strain to lift or move and it is easily stored when not in use. It's quiet too, which means that my cats don't freak out when I'm using it and I don't have to deal with migrains after using it and, at only $75.00 it costs less than hiring one of those professional companies to come out and treat a few spots.
Getting the hang of the machine, figuring out how to fill the cleaning dispenser and such is a bit of a hassle, but once it's figured out, using it is a snap and it scrubs away with its 9 amp motor and with its long cord I have yet to find a place that the Black & Decker doesn't reach.
One of the drawbacks to the Black & Decker SV1000-4 is, of course, the fact that it isn't a full sized steamer, which means that if I want a full cleaning of all my carpets, I still have to either hire a professional or resort to renting, but the Black & Decker has definitely enabled me to cut down on my carpet cleaning bills.
Another drawback is cleaning up after the Black & Decker SV1000-4. The machine comes apart easily enough, but the water well can't be completely removed, so unless I want to deal with mildew I have to leave it open to dry for a day or two before I put it away for storage.
All in all however, the Black & Decker SV1000-4 steam cleaner is an excellent little machine and well worth the cost.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews