Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

GE® 30" Free-Standing Gas Range Model #: JGBS23SEMSS

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

For the price, this range is an excellent option. The stainless looks good. As long as it's inset within cabinets, the black sides don't show. But, depending on a kitchen's scheme, the black may not pose a problem.

The entire unit has consistently performed well. Like most gas models, it heats up quickly and is easy to adjust the temperature. The temperature on my model (like on most less expensive ranges) is off from what the temperature read says, but only by about fifteen degrees. The digitized control panel, besides looking nice, is intuitive and easy to use. Unlike some ranges, there is an option to set the timer without having to have the oven on, or have it turn off when the timer dings.

The range is constructed solidly and, unlike my last (and more expensive Kenmore range) I have never tried to cook a large dinner with the handle hanging off a broken hinge.

There are two things that I find less than desirable. First, the pilot light is hard to get relit once it goes out. Second, my only major concern with the range is the handle on the bottom drawer. I opted for the inset pull rather than the convex handle affixed to the oven door because I wanted a sleeker look. However, if I need to get anything from the drawer and the oven has been heated for a while, the pull itself is almost too hot to touch, despite it being the hard black part rather than the more conductive metal.

Though the oven is marketed as "extra large", it won't hold more than a large roasting dish. But, I will take the smaller size because it fits so well in a small apartment like mine. The range looks great in my kitchen, has performed flawlessly for two years, and is very reasonably priced.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews