Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

The Singer 7256 Fashion Mate Sewing Machine

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I'm the one who sews in our family. My wife doesn't have the patience, and while I like sewing, I get frustrated when a machine is temperamental or requires extensive preparation to use. I'd never had a problem with my old sewing machine though, blithely sewing away curtains and throw pillows and even simple clothing without a care. But when my old sewing machine broke down for good (it had been in use since the late 1980's) I went shopping for an affordable machine that would do everything my old machine had done, but have a few more "up-to-the-minute" features. Seeing as that my old machine had also been a Singer, those were the first machines that I looked at, and I hit the jackpot with the 7256 Fashion Mate.

I think the thing that attracted me to the Fashion Mate was its simple design. There are no assorted gadgets sticking out at odd angles or weird levers or handles. Everything is simple and to the point and can easily be identified by anyone who has had any experience with sewing machines, and for those who don't, the instruction book is comprehensive and covers everything from basic usage to using the different features.

And the Singer 7256 Fashion Mate has a whole host of features. For starters, it has 70 stitch patterns that can be selected at the touch of a button - 70! Plus six fully automatic one-step buttonholes, an automatic needle threader so that you don't have to squint, aim, and hope for the best, as well as a top drop-in bobbin that does its own catching. It also has automatic tension, which means that the thread is as tight or loose as it is supposed to be and won't break as easily. It even has a free arm that has accessory storage so there are no little bits and pieces floating about just waiting to get lost. Plus, with its heavy metal frame, the Fashion Mate doesn't go anywhere while you're sewing, even when you're clipping along at top speed on straight seems.

The only complaint I have is that the LCD light could be brighter, it seems a bit dim, but otherwise, the machine is everything I could ask for - and more!

With its 25 year limited warranty, the Singer 7256 Fashion Mate is an excellent choice for everyone from those just learning to sew to those who are more advanced, especially with its reasonable price tag of only $199.00. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a new machine.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews