Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,605,378 times

Advertisements

Holmes Quartz Tower HQH319-U

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

When our furnace stopped working, we initially used this heater to heat our bedroom. I liked one-touch temperature settings and the safety features, so I thought it would be a good choice for our family.

The heater heats the area immediately in front of it very well. If you sit or stand before it to warm up quickly, it will keep you cozy while it runs. However, as a room heater, it is much less effective. It doesn't heat the larger space very well, and during the time that it is not running, the room cools very quickly.

The temperature settings are a nice feature. It has a series of settings from 60 to 80 on both high and low fan speeds. I typically used it at high setting at 70 degrees. The thermostat was accurate and the area near the heater stayed at the set temperature very well.

It does seem to be relatively energy efficient for a forced-fan heater. We didn't notice the same increase in electricity bills that we saw while we were using other fan heaters. However, the oil-filled radiant heaters are still more efficient.

On high setting, it does get very hot at the surface and we had to make a concerted effort to keep our pets and children away from it so they wouldn't be inadvertently burned.

The emergency safety shutoff is a bit more sensitive than I would like. It would shut off if you bumped it, which could be annoying. We had it plugged into an outlet behind a dresser and frequently had to crawl on the floor to unplug the heater and reset it.

After a season of continuous use, one of the elements burned out and it would no longer effectively heat our bedroom without another heat source. We replaced this heater with an oil-filled electric heater and were much happier with our results. I wouldn't purchase this heater again.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews